cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to carry motorcycle

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been considering getting a lightweight motorcycle ( small trail bike to use on forest service roads, et ., not a road bike) to carry on the back of the camper. Don't really want to use a trailer if we don't have to, so how about a rack that fits in the receiver hitch? (I can weld one up if I need to.) The bikes we're looking at are only a couple hundred pounds so weight is not a problem. My question is how to tie it down so it doesn't fall over. Even with a fairly wide platform it seems like straps wouldn't be far enough out to hold it, especially on the inside by the camper. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance
17 REPLIES 17

chilihead98
Explorer
Explorer
Ace! wrote:
I think Versahaul says DO NOT carry the bike on the front. Seems like the best way to do it to me, but they probably know better than I do.

I'm going to purchase a hitch mounted carrier for my bike. I planned to carry it on the front, but now I'm reconsidering that.

I carry my Honda CRF250L on a Versahaul on the front hitch.

Had to modify the carrier to add about 6 inches of height for more road clearance. Even then was snowplowing my way across a couple of deep washes on Hole-in-the-Rock Road in UT (without the bike mounted). The standard height is totally inadequate for anywhere but paved roads. I relocated the carrier to the rear hitch extension for the drive back up HIR Road, which was some improvement.

I suspect the caution against using the front hitch has more to do with obstruction of the headlights, which is outlawed in some states.

Getting the bike on and off such a mount can be hazardous. Dropped the bike the first time removing it. Wheel came right out of the support channel. Best to have a spotter when doing this, IMHO.
It's great not having to be anywhere other than where I am right now.

2008 Bigfoot 25C9.6E w/ 215w solar panel, MPPT cntrller, 2 x 125a-h AGM batt's. 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD crewcab dually w/Duramax diesel. 16' x 7' Pace American dual-axle trailer.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
In my sig is what I use and it won't affect your payload weight.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honda 230 on a Zieman rack welded to the top of a 4' Super Truss. The tie down points are narrow but doesn't pose a problem. I cinch her down good with ratchet straps but use a 6" 2x4 between the front tire and yoke so's not to crush the forks.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer

Versahaul with ramp. 2" receiver hitch. I did have jeep bumper and unibody strengthen. Four tie down straps. One cable lock. One man operation to load and unload. Zion RV park. Half mile to Zion entrance in case you were wondering where this photo is at. The scooter was a blast touring the park. Take that bike with you any way you can! lol
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Versahaul - works great the key is the device they use to take the slop out of the tube that slides into the receiver. Can't see why it won't work on a front receiver as well.

They don't have a place to put down the side stand on a heavier bike while you start tying down, unless they have added a stand platform option. We use a skyhook to steady the bike and get the first tie strap hooked.

Good piece of kit.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
There is a bunch of carriers out there and most rated at 500lbs. so that is no problem. As far as where to carry, that's a no brainer in my book. Been carrying my bike up front for many years and miles with zero problems. As said the only problem you'll have is one side of your bike will be covered in bugs.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the rear bumper of my TT and extented the main TT frame rails by 2 or 3 feet and reattached the bumper. This gave me a nice 3x7 platform on which
I take (among other items) a dual sport bike weighing about 350 lbs.

It's also a convenient platform to carry bicycles, coolers, deck-chairs....

If you use a dedicated motorcycle ramp, check that you are not blocking your rear lights AND your licence plate (I got a ticket for an obscured lic. plate). Also check the overhang, you MAY need a red flag if the overhang is over 4ft (?).

Gerry
Gerry

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Discountramps.com. Look under hitch mounted carriers. While I don't own a TC anymore, my daughter has it. I hope I am allowed to make this small post. My hitch is made by Rage, reasonably priced and carries a 400 pound BMW 650 with no issues.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these with great results on the rear with a 32" Torklift extension. The built in loading ramp is one less thing to move, lose and/or trip over. Tilt a rack
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
ejfranz wrote:
Do a search on this topic as it has been discussed a fair bit.
I have carried a WR250r (`310lbs) on the front hitch for 5 years and over 40 000 KM with no issues. The bike will get cover in bugs , but will stay clean when you travel wet gravel roads.
i have an inexpensive metal rack from Princess Auto. There are 4 places to tie down to. See Sig Picture.

I tried a search, but nothing came up. Do you have any suggestions for key words to use?
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search on this topic as it has been discussed a fair bit.
I have carried a WR250r (`310lbs) on the front hitch for 5 years and over 40 000 KM with no issues. The bike will get cover in bugs , but will stay clean when you travel wet gravel roads.
i have an inexpensive metal rack from Princess Auto. There are 4 places to tie down to. See Sig Picture.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
I think Versahaul says DO NOT carry the bike on the front. Seems like the best way to do it to me, but they probably know better than I do.

I'm going to purchase a hitch mounted carrier for my bike. I planned to carry it on the front, but now I'm reconsidering that.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I use this rack to carry my CRF100. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4584/i/travelrite-travel-rack

It has a clever, very simple anti wobble hitch pin. Much lighter than a Versahaul. Also it has a center tie down, so there's only one shin whacker in stead of two.

As with all racks, you need to consider light blockage.
F1BNorm

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Take a look at the Versahaul's.

Clicky for VersaHaul
Bob