cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions On Forest River Salem TT

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a used FR Salem TT that we like. It is about six years old and is a LE. Model.
Is this a good unit that holds up well? Would there be any particular things we should check.
We spent years with NEWMAR motorhomes and are not well versed in travel trailers but are downsizing after a couple of years of being without after sell our Class A.

Thanks...
3 REPLIES 3

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my 2013 Salem for about 3 years and its okay. I had some problems in the first year or so but things got worked out and it's turning out to be a decent trailer. That being said, it's no Newmar. There is really no comparing a high end class A to a mid-level TT such as Salem. I hope you are anticipating a pretty sizeable reduction in overall quality and design with this change.

As an example, the first day I had my TT home and was setting it up I opened the cabinet beneath the kitchen sink both screws on one of the hinges pulled out and left the door in my hands. I would best describe the hinge screw as thumb tacks with shallow threads. I bought some better screws and took a few hours changing them all out and it's been great. This is just an indication of what to expect as far as construction with a TT of this price point from any manufacturer.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
It's all a matter of how it's been maintained. We bought a new FR Salem early this year and have been pleased so far. I think they are about average overall as far as build quality, but can vary from one to the next. Just inspect it thoroughly with particular emphasis on looking for any signs of leaks. I'd open every compartment and look around with a flashlight and even a mirror as necessary. There are usually at least a few panels that will require removing a few screws in order to open. On mine those include access to the water pump and the furnace. I'd also crawl around under it looking for any issues as well as carefully inspecting the roof. If the roof is in bad shape and looks like there are areas that may have allowed water to get in, I'd probably steer clear. But if it looks like overall it's been well cared for, I'd have no qualms about buying it.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you try using the search function?
Type in Forest River Salem read the results some will not be very pertinent but some are very on target
Traveling with my best friend my wife!