cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Jayco Eagle 314 BHDS outdoor kitchen

dsmith3
Explorer
Explorer
What do folks think of the new layout of outdoor kitchen in their 2015 Jayco Eagle 314 BHDS?

For the 2015 model year they have omitted the 2-burner propane stove (which I am disappointed about) and have added a small microwave.

It looks like it is designed to mount an outdoor HDTV since there is a small shelf above the fridge (for a DVD/Blu-Ray player or satellite receiver) and the cabinet has been scaled down and moved to the right side above microwave (leaving an opening for the TV in the center). But it seems that isn't in an ideal spot for a TV since it is not under the main awning where folks would be sitting.

QUESTION: How do folks like the changes to outdoor kitchen layout in this unit? Has anyone mounted a TV on the kitchen wall between fridge and cabinet?

Many thanks!
2015 Jay Flight 32 BHDS (Elite, Tech, Thermal pkgs)
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab SRW 3.73
6.0L Trans Cooler
Gauges: EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost
K&N Cold Air Intake
MBRP 4" Exhaust
Curt Class IV Hitch
P3 Controller
ProPride 3P Hitch 1400
14 REPLIES 14

dsmith3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and opinions. We will be going with the Jay Flight 32BHDS over the Eagle 314BHDS. The outdoor kitchen in the Flight is just way more usable and there's no better place to cook breakfast (bacon and eggs) than the 2-burner stove outside on a beautiful morning.

Plus with the money we'll save going with the Flight instead of the Eagle we'll pick up the Honda EU2000i Parallel Package generators (combined 4000 watt max) as well as a portable satellite system (Winegard Carryout G2 antenna and Dish VIP 211z receiver with external USB harddrive to add DVR capability). Will never miss another football game at the deer lease!
2015 Jay Flight 32 BHDS (Elite, Tech, Thermal pkgs)
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab SRW 3.73
6.0L Trans Cooler
Gauges: EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost
K&N Cold Air Intake
MBRP 4" Exhaust
Curt Class IV Hitch
P3 Controller
ProPride 3P Hitch 1400

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
We have an OK in our 2011 Jayco 32BHDS. With two kids, and even the day they stop camping and we change trailer, we will always have an OK. I exclusively cook outdoors. We never use the indoor kitchen except the microwave. We rarely use the three burner stove outside as i have a two-burner stove with a real cast iron high side griddle. The outside fridge is a must with barley pops, and kids who always are thirsty. The electric fridge is alot more forgiving with kids who seem to stand with the door open over the standard RV fridge. I just looked at the same Eagle 314BHDS, and it now has the bumper mounted grill. To me, camping is grilling. Even pots and panswork on the grille. A microwave is of much more use.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Not a fan of the outdoor kitchen. Does an RV really need 2 stoves, microwaves and fridges? I think I can make better use of the space as just plain old storage.
I set up an outdoor kitchen when I need it, complete with running water.
I prefer the versatility of not having an OK vs. having space dedicated to an OK.
Another factor to consider is the site layout.
Many campsites can accommodate an OK without issue. However some sites are not level or have trees or obstructions that interfere with the OK.
I can an do set up my OK under the awning, which is really beneficial when it rains, however having the OK at the back of the RV is fine when the weather is good,but when the weather is bad the rear location is far from ideal.
I understand many love their OK's however OK's do not fit my camping style.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I don't see much use for that outdoor kitchen.. The sink looks awful shallow; the things I would wash outside are bigger post and pans that wont fit in sink inside. .

Good points, guess there is no need to have a completely useless sink conveniently located near by to wash your hands, fruits and veggies, utensils that got dropped in the dirt or anything else that would never fit in a sink too small for large pots and pans. Guess that is why the TT has an out door shower all the way on the other side of the trailer...
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see much use for that outdoor kitchen.. The sink looks awful shallow; the things I would wash outside are bigger post and pans that wont fit in sink inside. I usually cook on my Weber Q, or use my electric skillet outside. I can use also my coleman stove if I want to and it takes a lot less room that that kitchen.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Total noob here so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I love the out door kitchen on our TT. What I like better about mine VS the one I was able to see that is on the 2015 Jayco.

I basically have two more cabinets to store things. I don't really have room for a television but that is not the area I would put one for outside viewing for same reasons you (maybe it was someone else) mention.

We have the bumper grill and can see us using it all the time for cooking.

Micro Wave, I could also do with out, and would rather have more cabinets. But at the same time I could see it being used if it was there to use.

I also have a void area that makes a good counter top/work area and think I am going to like having that.

Here is a generic pic I found on line of a kitchen just like mine minus the bumper grill.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
dsmith3 wrote:
What do folks think of the new layout of outdoor kitchen in their 2015 Jayco Eagle 314 BHDS?

For the 2015 model year they have omitted the 2-burner propane stove (which I am disappointed about) and have added a small microwave.

It looks like it is designed to mount an outdoor HDTV since there is a small shelf above the fridge (for a DVD/Blu-Ray player or satellite receiver) and the cabinet has been scaled down and moved to the right side above microwave (leaving an opening for the TV in the center). But it seems that isn't in an ideal spot for a TV since it is not under the main awning where folks would be sitting.

QUESTION: How do folks like the changes to outdoor kitchen layout in this unit? Has anyone mounted a TV on the kitchen wall between fridge and cabinet?

Many thanks!

That looks very nice! I have a 2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29l with the outdoor kitchen and we love it. My OK has the refrigerator, 2 burner stove, sink, one drawer, a double door cabinet and counter space. Having the extra refrigerator eliminates the need for beverage coolers. We use the stove and sink all the time. The cabinets are used for the plates, napkins, cups, pots, pans etc. The one thing that comes to mind with the microwave and TV in the outdoor kitchen is that they are located behind the wheels and you will get alot of bounce which fragile electrical equipment doesn't like. I know alot of TT's have rear kitchens, but that is something to consider for that microwave/TV in the outdoor kitchen. I guess I don't see the need for the extra microwave since we use it only periodically.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mean to derail your post. OK are very popular especially in bunkhouses. I suspect the Jayco 314 floorplan is the most popular across many brands for families. Just consider how you use the OK to determine the specific value of their features.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
not really a fan of ok, but love cooking and eating outside. sometimes we use the electric griddle, sometimes the webber q, sometimes the coleman gas stove, and sometimes all 3 at the same time, depending on whats cooking and how many people. could be as many as 35 people. to each their own notion.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We're not fans of the outside kitchen - would rather have that space inside. But IF we had one, the burners would be an absolute requirement. We don't cook, as such, inside anyway other than microwave, oven and maybe heating something or boiling water on the stovetop. That's the reason for the $18 electric skillet. As far as the outside frig, unless we routinely had a larger number of people, I see no need for it....a cooler will take care of the drinks. Those who have the OK seem to love them, but not for us.

Re the TV outside or even satellite....also not interested. We always have an assortment of movies and rarely watch one unless the weather turns nasty. We get plenty of TV at home and this is our get-away time. We play Scrabble, cards, dominoes, read on our Kindles, sometimes just talk....what a weird concept. If there is a sporting event that we just absolutely cannot miss, we'll stay home that weekend and camp the next. We already get enough bad news with CNN and the others, so missing that is not much loss. Camping is decompression time, trees, birds, time together. Pretty basic camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mspontiac
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS, which does not have an outdoor kitchen. I love the layout, so I reluctantly will go without the OK if we go forward with the deal, but I'm disappointed. I do love cooking breakfast outdoors, and when we used to have a pop up we did it all of the time on a folding table with a griddle. The Jay Flight bunkhouse we looked at had the setup you describe, and I thought it was a little goofy to have a microwave outside (do people cook with a microwave often enough that it would justify having one outside too?) but I liked the idea of the little fridge (easy to grab a cold drink). The side out platform was alright, because you could place either a griddle or a portable stove on it to cook with, but that's just one more thing to drag outside to set up. I'd like the idea of an installed 2-burner stove better. And the idea of a TV outside doesn't appeal to me at all....I like to hear the birds and nature, not ESPN.
2005 Starcraft Antigua XLT 305QBS
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't get an OK. We vary rarely camp with elec so the fridge would be useless. Most of the outside burners are cheap. And you always have to cook in one spot which means you have to find the right spot at a CG. Only thing I like about them is the sink. Makes a great place to wash dirty things without going inside. If it were me I would yank the fridge so I could store my WeberQ and CampChef. I'd also yank the micro. We only use ours about 2x a year anyways. I've seen better setups though.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The only use I would have of the OK is the extra fridge!

We cook outside a lot without an OK. I'm not giving up my Webber Q. And much other cooking is electric griddle. It is rare we use the stove inside our TT, so I can't imagine using one outside. So an OK is not particularly valuable to us. So? How do you plan prepare foods while RVing? How important would that be to you?

We rarely sit under our awning. It's usually not safe to put the TT so close to the campfire. But again, how will you camp?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
CLICK HERE and start watching this video at the 5:00 mark to see how the outdoor kitchen lays out.

I don't like the idea of no burners outside. Where are you supposed to cook bacon and fish?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers