cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 GMC Vibration on highway

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
I am shopping for a new one ton truck for a new truck camper. We really like the looks and interior of the GMC double cab/long bed SLT. Took it for a test drive and it had a horrible vibration at 65-70 which I would normally attribute to flat spots on the tires from the truck sitting on the lot for 170 days and/or tire balancing. We decided to sleep on it and do a little research and found quite a few complaints online and some even brewing class action lawsuits.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/174374-2015-silverado-lt-vibrationshaking/

Anyone else here experience this? Is this a big deal and old news or a just a minority of the owners experiences.

If it rules out GMC it only leaves my option as Ford as I am told the new RAM's rear suspension is not up to the task for a truck camper. ( the longer leaf spring ?? more squat??) I am not opposed to an F350 but seems it's gonna cost me more to get the creature comforts of a GMC or RAM SLT with Navigation.
54 REPLIES 54

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you fixed your vibrations issues Crabbypatty;sounds like your problems were from normal wear and tear. How many miles on your truck?

My reference were to brand new Gms that vibrate right off the dealer's lot.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through that. Left upper balljoint, right front tie rod, two tires and $992. No vibration anymore at 60-65. I don't go faster than that when towing....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
Search the DuraMax forum and you will find a long thread regarding GMs having a problem with vibrations in the 65-75 mph. Its been a year since I visited the thread so I'll be the first to acknowledge I am not up to date.

The vibration issue was hit or miss and not consistent from vehicle to vehicle or year to year. Most of the focus suggested re-balancing tires using the road force method which also produced mixed results.

Thread opinions also suggested the vibrations came from the drive shaft or the drive shaft connection to the rear end or the ring and pinion to axle connections. Certainly vibration could be caused by anything which spins.

Surprisingly, all "fixes" were with rims and tires mounted. If I experienced vibration, I would put the vehicle up on jacks and remove the wheels and tires and slowly spool the truck up to speeds. If you feel vibrations without the wheels and tires then you've got drive-line problems. A large pan of water positioned in the bed over top of the rear end would be a quick and good vibration indicator.

It would be wise to never believe a good tire balance will cure a vibration problem. Drive line problems can be a real nightmare to diagnose and solve. I'm of the opinion any manufacture would not be accommodating to address vibrations caused by drive line issues.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
Oh I did...something happened to prevent it from draining all the way.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I did...something happened to prevent it from draining all the way.

2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vinsil wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Let us know how the 6.2 goes...I've read good things.

Hopefully, you read the ones here including trip reports from brholt.

Thanks for the heads up, I have not followed his. A quick overview seems pretty favorable...and after taking almost a gallon of diesel to the face on Monday after changing my fuel filter...gas isn't so bad. BUT...I love my power...too much.

drain the filter by opening and draining the fuel water separator first to avoid the shower.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I have not followed his. A quick overview seems pretty favorable...and after taking almost a gallon of diesel to the face on Monday after changing my fuel filter...gas isn't so bad. BUT...I love my power...too much.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vinsil wrote:

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
frank33v wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
I can't blame you for not buying that particular vehicle. When we made the deal on my truck, I am retired and know the owner of the dealership, I volunteered to do the dealer swap so I had at least a 3 hour drive to road test the truck I was purchaseing. Also a 1 ton, SRW, crew cab, long bed, gasser is a rare find. Did you get the 6.2 V8 or 6.8 V10?

I got the 6.2. If I am correct you can only get the 6.8 v10 in the F550+ models.

Bedlam
The 6.8 V10 is only available in the F450 to F750 models.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
I can't blame you for not buying that particular vehicle. When we made the deal on my truck, I am retired and know the owner of the dealership, I volunteered to do the dealer swap so I had at least a 3 hour drive to road test the truck I was purchaseing. Also a 1 ton, SRW, crew cab, long bed, gasser is a rare find. Did you get the 6.2 V8 or 6.8 V10?

I got the 6.2. If I am correct you can only get the 6.8 v10 in the F550+ models.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
I have talked with Bill on this subject in the past (owned 2 Dodges) and will say I he pointed out several design differences that would affect how Dodges handle TOP heavy loads

my 2015 GMC 3500 DWR had no vibration .
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Glad we resolved the 2016 GMC vibration issue...

LOL, My take away is that there is definitely an issue on some vehicle that a new buyer should look out for. Make sure you test it on a highway. There are too many posts online of folks having issues and not being able to get them resolved by their dealers to ignore it.

There are also many many folks without an issue as is representative here. And I am sure even more as you know no one takes time to posts online to say "yea my truck runs great".

The truck I drove had an issue. Potentially nothing more than a wheel balancing issue but also potentially something more and I wasn't going to drop $45-50k to hope that the dealer could fix it. There were no other 3500hd's on the lots in my area to try that where not loaded to the gills as the 2016's are not out yet.