Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Lance 1172

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

The family is excited on the delivery of a new Lance 1172 next week and downsizing from our current '05 KZ New Vision 41' toy box. Looking forward to going places impossible with our TH. Traded my '11 F350 SRW 4x4 for a '12 F450 4x4. I wanted to avoid any cargo weight or towing capacity issues.

TC is equip with an Onan 2500 LP generator...don't have any experience with propane generators and hopefully won't be experiencing anymore carb issues.

Can anyone tell me if they had any minor or major issues with the 1172?

Thank you,

Carlos

PS/ F450 getting new 5100 Blisteins and rear airbags.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife
24 REPLIES 24

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
All gasoline/natural gas/propane engines can be converted, but when gas to propane or NG conversion are easy, propane to gas would require whole new carburetor, what will not be cost efficient.
I bought $80 900W generator what is 2-cycle gasoline and run it for coffee, or microwave with battery charging.
The gas(propane) guzzling Generac stays for AC only, what did not happen for last 2 years.
With the law constantly changing filling up propane become pretty big hassle.
Not too many stations, I have to disconnect one tank at the time, pull it out and carry to fill station.
I also have inverter 3000 Honda generator and when we went on long weekend camping with high potential for AC, I carried it on front platform.
Kind of sucks that technology exist for over than a decade, yet camper are still fitted with dinosaurs.
Anyway, that is small detail in whole picture and can be work out.
When are you going camping?

Well, if all I have to do is spend $250 on a new carb. It's worth it for me in order to have the convenience of gasoline. We are planning a couple of days of dry camping at El Mirage OHV area . Don't want venture too far in the event something breaks down on
our maiden voyage...lol
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
All gasoline/natural gas/propane engines can be converted, but when gas to propane or NG conversion are easy, propane to gas would require whole new carburetor, what will not be cost efficient.
I bought $80 900W generator what is 2-cycle gasoline and run it for coffee, or microwave with battery charging.
The gas(propane) guzzling Generac stays for AC only, what did not happen for last 2 years.
With the law constantly changing filling up propane become pretty big hassle.
Not too many stations, I have to disconnect one tank at the time, pull it out and carry to fill station.
I also have inverter 3000 Honda generator and when we went on long weekend camping with high potential for AC, I carried it on front platform.
Kind of sucks that technology exist for over than a decade, yet camper are still fitted with dinosaurs.
Anyway, that is small detail in whole picture and can be work out.
When are you going camping?

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Congratulations on new camper.
Are the new generators an inverter type?
My high rpm Generac takes a lot of propane no matter the load.

It's a run of the mill Onan 2500 propane...I would have preferred gasoline! Wondering if they can be retrofitted for gasoline. I read somewhere that you can't but haven't done any researcher yet...waiting to see how much propane it consumes.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on new camper.
Are the new generators an inverter type?
My high rpm Generac takes a lot of propane no matter the load.

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
rafrox wrote:
We've spent about 3 weeks in our 1172 (2015 model). Generally love it. One thing to watch out for - there are large storage drawers under the dinette seating. They're held shut with pins, that have a "keyway" system that should be oriented at 12 o'clock (straight up). The keyway on our rear drawer was installed upside down (pointing down at six o'clock), which doesn't work at all given the combination of gravity and travel vibration. We learned that lesson the hard way - the combination microwave/convection oven is directly opposite that drawer. A trip through Zion was enough to cause the drawer to come open and shatter the microwave door. Even after fixing the keyway orientation, you have to be very careful with that pin or the drawer will come open. We now travel with the seat cushions from the dinette stored in between the drawer and the microwave. Only other "gotcha" was that the "Park" and "Sat" cable connections were mislabeled (switched) inside the rear drain valve area - no biggie there but it took a couple of trips to figure it out.

Great info...we are suppose to take delivery this Friday!
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

rafrox
Explorer
Explorer
We've spent about 3 weeks in our 1172 (2015 model). Generally love it. One thing to watch out for - there are large storage drawers under the dinette seating. They're held shut with pins, that have a "keyway" system that should be oriented at 12 o'clock (straight up). The keyway on our rear drawer was installed upside down (pointing down at six o'clock), which doesn't work at all given the combination of gravity and travel vibration. We learned that lesson the hard way - the combination microwave/convection oven is directly opposite that drawer. A trip through Zion was enough to cause the drawer to come open and shatter the microwave door. Even after fixing the keyway orientation, you have to be very careful with that pin or the drawer will come open. We now travel with the seat cushions from the dinette stored in between the drawer and the microwave. Only other "gotcha" was that the "Park" and "Sat" cable connections were mislabeled (switched) inside the rear drain valve area - no biggie there but it took a couple of trips to figure it out.

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
You will love your 1172....we are on our second 1172...the first was a '13 and then we upgraded last year to a '15.5 as we felt the changes were worth it....the biggest thing the first 1172's had problems with was the big driver's side slide...while we never had issues with it ourselves I spoke to several that did....this was a reason we got our new 1172 when they started make them with the happijac slide mechanism instead of the previous models...our '13 also didn't have the huge compartment in the back as that was where the battery compartment was....now that the slide is fixed, the batteries are under the steps and we have that huge cargo space in the rear we love our new 1172!!!
As others have said the generator is great...LP is so much cleaner and it is very efficient as well. We ordered ours and deleted the oven and went with the convection microwave for more room above the stove and we also had Lance install two solar panels instead of just one. If you have any specific questions about our 1172 experience please drop us a note anytime!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
run100 wrote:
Congratulations on your new 1172 Lance! You are sure to enjoy the new found freedoms provided by a truck camper. Visits to gas stations, dumps and dead end roads should be much easier and less stressful.

Although I can't comment specifically about the 1172, I can say we are on our second Lance truck camper since 2001 and have enjoyed both very much. Our 855S has the Onan and it has been performing great. Being creatures of convenience, we love being able to fire up the gen, when needed, to nuke some food or run the a/c.

Post some pics upon arrival.

I will...can't wait to just get up a go.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

Bedlam
We went from a Weekend Warrior toy hauler to our Arctic Fox truck camper. We can still bring toys with us in our enclosed trailer or leave that extra length behind when we don't want them.

We never had problems with gasoline sitting in the carburetor because I ran the generator twice a month. The LPG runs cleaner than the gasoline units and now you do not need to worry about stabilizing fuel or other additives.

Get the SuperHitch receiver and SuperTruss extension if you plan to tow anything behind your new combination. Our enclosed trailer varies in weight based on what we bring 6000-8000 lbs.

We were spoiled with the amount living space and large tank capacities of our toy hauler. I think this will be your biggest adjustment going to a truck camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new 1172 Lance! You are sure to enjoy the new found freedoms provided by a truck camper. Visits to gas stations, dumps and dead end roads should be much easier and less stressful.

Although I can't comment specifically about the 1172, I can say we are on our second Lance truck camper since 2001 and have enjoyed both very much. Our 855S has the Onan and it has been performing great. Being creatures of convenience, we love being able to fire up the gen, when needed, to nuke some food or run the a/c.

Post some pics upon arrival.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S