cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Ford Expedition

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a nice vehicle, but I'm not sure what to say about that dial knob business.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
23 REPLIES 23

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Fully independent suspension has made this a better choice for towing than any half ton and other full size SUV not so equipped.

Engines, transmissions and axle gearing have become irrelevant as topics of discussion any longer.

Suspension design, brake details and electronic stability are what's left.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
The dial knob on my Ram, if not placed in park automatically switches to park when the ignition is turned off. I cannot exit my truck without it being in park. Wish the "lever" on my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee would do the same. That's the dangerous one, not the knob.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
dshelley wrote:
Looks great. The dial knob is fine, after a while, you don't think about it.

No conspicuous reminder of whether the truck is in park or not. I prefer a shifter handle. If it's not all the way forward or all the way up, you shouldn't be stepping out of the vehicle. Sadly, I predict more injuries.

Jeep crushes man, transmission left in neutral.

That problem in the jeep electronic shifter was the way to put it in park. It was easy to think you were in park even if you did it incorrectly. Current Jeep/Chrysler and in this case Ford use the dial. It is clear what gear you have selected.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
dshelley wrote:

No conspicuous reminder of whether the truck is in park or not. I prefer a shifter handle. If it's not all the way forward or all the way up, you shouldn't be stepping out of the vehicle. Sadly, I predict more injuries.

I seriously doubt that my 2016 F150 with console shift has any mechanical linkage to the transmission so I am not sure that going to a knob makes any real difference. It does have an alarm in case I forget to put it in park so again the knob would not make much difference, mostly just takes less space.

Console shifters in pickups have never made sense to me because they waste space and eliminate that extra seating position which I use sometimes. I do prefer a column shifter to a knob because it gives you a better visual cue that's pretty ingrained in me at this point.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
dshelley wrote:

I recently had a Chrysler 200 rental car with the dial shifter. Absolutely hated it. One place pulled in to park and did not do the dial right and rolled into some bushes. I'll never own one.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
dshelley wrote:

I seriously doubt that my 2016 F150 with console shift has any mechanical linkage to the transmission so I am not sure that going to a knob makes any real difference. It does have an alarm in case I forget to put it in park so again the knob would not make much difference, mostly just takes less space.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
dshelley wrote:

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Huge improvement. The Expedition badly needed an upgrade. My wife looked at the '16, and it was a complete non-starter compared to the new Suburban and Durango. We were off the lot in just a few minutes.

It's always been a decently capable vehicle, but now it looks pretty sharp, too. We'd have looked pretty seriously at one of these if it had been out a year ago. Nice family hauler, from the way it looks. Should sell well.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's some more intel on the new Expedition.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
It's about friggin time they made the Expedition look good. It has always been a capable vehicle but from a pure aesthetics point of view...it has severely lagged behind the Surburban & Tahoe
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Tvov wrote:

Does ANY new vehicle with an automatic transmission - no matter if steering wheel column shifter, floor shifter, or whichever - actually have the shifter directly connected to the transmission by a cable or rod?

What about when locking the tranny into park? It sure feels like I'm mechanically putting that parking pawl in place with the 68RFE in the RAM Cummins.

It is still electronically shifted. Everything else is the same when you put it in park. Just no mechanical connection from the trans to shifter.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
LOL! You gotta catch up with the times!

No, I'm asking legitimate questions. Well aware of the Ecoboost engine's capabilities in cars and the F150, but if not mistaken, aluminum body or not, the Expedition is going to be heavier than an F150 (more body metal and seats). The powertrain, including the transmission is new/relatively new technology and purposed toward fuel economy to keep the Feds happy first, and by extension allowing Ford to keep the vehicles on the market. Long term and for towing, I legitimately wonder how this plays out over time. If these technologies achieve meeting consumer needs and keeping the regulators happy, great for Ford and other manufacturers adopting the technology. I'm not necessarily a disciple of 'no replacement for displacement' but these direct injection turbocharged gas engines over time.....how will they fare?

As for the tires, I just wonder how tires that look like they belong on a pimp daddy boulevard cruiser enhance ride and handling, towing or not. I drove an 'old school' Expedtion as a staff vehicle in the fire service for a number of years. Good, reliable and capable truck.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I know I can shift gears faster with the knob than with any other type of shifter I've ever dealt with. It responds lightening fast. It's very easy to rock the truck out of an icy ditch because it responds so quickly. It's very easy to get used to. Non-issue. I agree about the parking pawl. At least I can hear it click into place.

thomasmnile wrote:
From the Detroit Free Press

I read the FREEP column. Looks like Ford is swinging for the fences here. But I wonder, is the 3.5L Ecoboost enough engine in this application for towing? The low profile tires (20" or 22" on the Platinum Edition, doesn't that affect towing? Are these multi-speed trannys CVT or what? Exterior kinda pedestrian, but how much styling can you do with a shoebox? Interior is certainly nice and can be ordered chock full of gee whiz gadgets. Last quesition: How much $$$$$$?
LOL! You gotta catch up with the times! the 3.5 Ecoboost is Ford's most powerful gas engine in the half ton and below categories, and holds its own very well against the v8 competition. My truck sits on 20" OEM rims which didn't affect its tow rating at all, nor does it negatively affect towing. I guess too low profile could be trouble waiting to happen. The 10 speed tranny is just that, a 10 speed, no CVT.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE