2018 Titan vs Ford F150 XD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy and box it out all you Nissan and Ford fans
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
47 REPLIES 47

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
TFL hit this one right on the money. The comparison is valid based on the tow rating the manufacturer gives for each truck which is how consumers may select a vehicle. If you did the comparison any other way such as GVWR, GCWR, or Class designations then yes itโ€™s apples to oranges. Ford over rates the TWR for the F150 to sell trucks to uneducated consumers and obviously thereโ€™s lot of them out there. Nissan on the other hand gives realistic TWRs for its vehicles.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I like TFL truck...but WOW they screwed this comparison!!!

The Nissan was not a Crew Cab and the F-150 was not an HD to meet the specs of the Titan XD.

I recent posted in another Titan related thread here how much I LOVE the comfort of the Titan. I swear they designed the interior around me. But beyond that, the other OEM's have more to offer for equal or less money.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Just remember this was the Titan XD which is more suited to compete with a 3/4 ton truck. What should have been tested was the regular Titan which is more suited to compete with .5 ton trucks.

Since this was a Titan XD, I would suggest to repeat this test with any of the big 3 3/4 ton trucks and it would be totally different. Add the diesels to this test and it would be game over.

Exactly! I can say that if I was shopping for a 1/2 ton it would be a F-150 without question.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Just remember this was the Titan XD which is more suited to compete with a 3/4 ton truck. What should have been tested was the regular Titan which is more suited to compete with .5 ton trucks.

Since this was a Titan XD, I would suggest to repeat this test with any of the big 3 3/4 ton trucks and it would be totally different. Add the diesels to this test and it would be game over.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
This test is basically just a lessons in physics which says that the speed at which the system becomes unstable will decrease as the mass of the trailer (relative to the vehicleโ€™s mass) increases, Ford for some reason think they can just ignore this when setting the ratings for conventional towing. It also shows how the SAE test still lets the manufacturers get away with unrealistic ratings. The SAE should limit conventional tow ratings at a max of 1.5X the TV weight at itโ€™s minimum weight for SRW trucks. They should also make them achieve a damping ratio of at least 0.15 at 65 mph not 0.1 at 62 mph as it is now. The Titan will weigh about a 1,000lbs more than the F150 even HDPP equipped and you canโ€™t substitute strength for mass in this case.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...going to components of the higher class TV does make a difference vs the lower TV class of half tons...but...the lions share of sales are to those who insist on only owning a half ton...

There are other attributes to the higher class TV's that goes along with truck tires (LT...light truck and does NOT have the ride quality that most want) vs passenger tires (P...passenger class tires that has to be de-rated a min of 9% when used on trucks)

Bigger brakes, bigger frame, bigger suspension, bigger in most everything underneath the body (which in most cases are the same as the half ton trucks)...etc

Am seeing the blend between the class ratings merge into a grey area like this thread is about

blofgren wrote:
One of the issues with the F150 is very likely crappy P rated tires. I just had new LT tires installed on my 2012 F150 work truck and it feels like a completely different vehicle now.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
One of the issues with the F150 is very likely crappy P rated tires. I just had new LT tires installed on my 2012 F150 work truck and it feels like a completely different vehicle now.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
If you could combine the bones of the XD with the guts of the F150 you just might have the perfect 1/2 ton for towing.

It already exists. Just check the correct box when purchasing the F150.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Also the XD was a extended cab while F150 was a crew cab.
That would make a difference in payload.

I did like how beautiful the Ford color looked in the sun, as mine is the same color, Sunset Metallic.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
They should have tested the F150 HD versus the Titan XD.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The Ford obviously has the superior drivetrain, but the rest of the truck was clearly outmatched by the trailer. 4" of squat without WD, and with the WD bars tightened it was squirrely and porpoising. You could see the combo swaying and bouncing as it went down the road. The Titan didn't have the uphill mojo but appeared to be able to handle the load with much less drama. If you could combine the bones of the XD with the guts of the F150 you just might have the perfect 1/2 ton for towing.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Love the looks of those new F150's. And that new 3.5EB has some big balls backed with a impressive transmission.

As a daily driver I would pick the F150 hands down.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What is weight distributing?
The front end on that Ford is fugly as all get out.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
The pants tucked into the cowboy boots is such a bad look I can't even comment on the trucks.

:B:B Certainly can't argue that!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The pants tucked into the cowboy boots is such a bad look I can't even comment on the trucks.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB