Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Cummins IKE pull

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
VIDEO

What do you think? (other than graphic error at 18:35 that says GMC DENALI 🙂 )

For me, the time is about what I expected as it is missing a 10 speed auto and has slightly less power than the Ford.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
131 REPLIES 131

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

What do you mean when it comes on? The normal sound of a Cummins holding 39,000 lbs back to 35 mph on a long steep hill is the sound of the exhaust brake.

That is the sounf of the engine revving at 3,500 rpm.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:
Ram: 0 (Auto Brake assisted-unproven theory by Ford fanboys)
Ford: 5
GMC: 9

Time:
Ford: 10:20
Ram: 11:32
GMC: 11:47

MPG:
Ram: 2.5 mpg
Ford: 2.4 mpg
GMC: 2.4 mpg

There, I fixed it for you.

I would still love to see how these trucks do at 80F or even 100F.

I agree with testing at 80F or 100F but I doubt the order of performance would change.

And now your ok with reporting the computer mpg when you have always reported major errors with these systems.

TFL reported the brakes were part of the braking system so if you don't like that or agree with it go debate it with them like you do the Australian.

I feel the result will be similar to last years test if it were 80F. I don't

I have stated before that I don't think the computer is accurate with a lot of stop/starts of the engine. The more start/stops are in the tank average, the more it is off based on my experiences. I have also said it is fairly accurate going from point A to B without turning off the engine.

I like to report all the data(good or bad) and let the people decide for themselves instead of only giving them part of the information because of some bias. Mr Truck has reported many inconstancies before and I doubt this would be the last. After all, he also stated the truck/trailer's brake lights were on and yet they were not. Unproven theory by a Ram fanboy

Just as a reminder that the previous 2020 Ram and GM trucks Ike pull had 2 brake applications with less weight. With 30k lbs the GM had more brake applications but the Ram had less.

Give me a brake... :W

Yeah, because they did not have it on auto like I have been saying for the past two years. Auto works better if the truck is doing the shifting. Full mode is best used if you are shifting manually which they do not do.

I think the Powerstroke will get heat soaked at 80F and would have to cut power just like it looked like it did last year.

Also,it is not an unproven theory that they the brake lights were not one. It shows it in the video when they were behind the truck. And it is not a theory that Mr truck has been wrong before.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
stsmark wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, it’s like the EB just gets shut off. Seems like it would be tough on some part of the drivetrain. Also if it just shutoff what’s holding the truck back from accelerating if not the brakes?
I find it interesting that neither of them point out how cool that brake hp indication is.

Engine braking at 3,500 rpm is what is trying to hold the truck back when it is off. It cannot with engine braking alone so it starts to gain speed past 35 mph and then the exhaust brake kicks back on to slow it back down to 35 mph then cuts off again. As you can see at of the video 5:56 of the video. Exhaust brake is off, it starts to get to 37 mph and then it kicks back on to slow it down to 35 again.

You can hear the exhaust brake. It's remaining constant. The exhaust brake/engine brake is really the same thing. While the engine is being driven from flywheel it is braking. The degree of braking varies with the speed of the engine and the amount of restriction in the exhaust. The exhaust brake is simply the turbo adjusting to create more restriction in the exhaust. It's like if you had an engine driving a positive displacement water pump and you had an adjustable nozzle on the end of the water hose. You could change the power demand on the engine by opening and closing the nozzle. The engine on these trucks is acting as an air pump and the adjustable turbo is the nozzle.

I'm not saying the exhaust brake is switching on and off when the gauge is displaying a value. I'm suggesting the wheel brakes are being applied to help with braking during the time that the gauge is displaying a value.

I don't here the exhaust brake being on constantly. In fact, I hardly hear it when it comes on in that video. I hear the normal sound of a Cummins(which is noticeably loader than the other trucks) at a high rpm, but I don't hear an exhaust brake being on the whole time.

What do you mean when it comes on? The normal sound of a Cummins holding 39,000 lbs back to 35 mph on a long steep hill is the sound of the exhaust brake.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:

Time:

MPG:

I agree with testing at 80F or 100F but I doubt the order of performance would change.

And now your ok with reporting the computer mpg when you have always reported major errors with these systems.

TFL reported the brakes were part of the braking system so if you don't like that or agree with it go debate it with them like you do the Australian.

I feel the result will be similar to last years test if it were 80F. I don't

I have stated before that I don't think the computer is accurate with a lot of stop/starts of the engine. The more start/stops are in the tank average, the more it is off based on my experiences. I have also said it is fairly accurate going from point A to B without turning off the engine.

I like to report all the data(good or bad) and let the people decide for themselves instead of only giving them part of the information because of some bias. Mr Truck has reported many inconstancies before and I doubt this would be the last. After all, he also stated the truck/trailer's brake lights were on and yet they were not. Unproven theory by a Ram fanboy

Just as a reminder that the previous 2020 Ram and GM trucks Ike pull had 2 brake applications with less weight. With 30k lbs the GM had more brake applications but the Ram had less.

Give me a brake... :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
stsmark wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, it’s like the EB just gets shut off. Seems like it would be tough on some part of the drivetrain. Also if it just shutoff what’s holding the truck back from accelerating if not the brakes?
I find it interesting that neither of them point out how cool that brake hp indication is.

Engine braking at 3,500 rpm is what is trying to hold the truck back when it is off. It cannot with engine braking alone so it starts to gain speed past 35 mph and then the exhaust brake kicks back on to slow it back down to 35 mph then cuts off again. As you can see at of the video 5:56 of the video. Exhaust brake is off, it starts to get to 37 mph and then it kicks back on to slow it down to 35 again.

You can hear the exhaust brake. It's remaining constant. The exhaust brake/engine brake is really the same thing. While the engine is being driven from flywheel it is braking. The degree of braking varies with the speed of the engine and the amount of restriction in the exhaust. The exhaust brake is simply the turbo adjusting to create more restriction in the exhaust. It's like if you had an engine driving a positive displacement water pump and you had an adjustable nozzle on the end of the water hose. You could change the power demand on the engine by opening and closing the nozzle. The engine on these trucks is acting as an air pump and the adjustable turbo is the nozzle.

I'm not saying the exhaust brake is switching on and off when the gauge is displaying a value. I'm suggesting the wheel brakes are being applied to help with braking during the time that the gauge is displaying a value.

I don't here the exhaust brake being on constantly. In fact, I hardly hear it when it comes on in that video. I hear the normal sound of a Cummins(which is noticeably loader than the other trucks) at a high rpm, but I don't hear an exhaust brake being on the whole time.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
stsmark wrote:

B&W Companion

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I went back and watched the 4:00 minute mark of that video. I wonder why the gauge reads up to 240 reverse horsepower a while then drops off to 0? It almost seems as though the gauge starts reading at about 37 mph and it pulls it down to 35 mph then quits displaying. Could it be that while the gauge is displaying a number the wheel brakes are being applied.

240 reverse HP would definitely be slowing the truck. 175 reverse HP at the crankshaft should be enough to hold speed on the steepest part of the hill.

That was my take on what happened. But as always I could wrong.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:

Time:

MPG:

I feel the result will be similar to last years test if it were 80F.

I like to report all the data(good or bad) and let the people decide for themselves instead of only giving them part of the information because of some bias. Mr Truck has reported many inconstancies before and I doubt this would be the last. After all, he also stated the truck/trailer's brake lights were on and yet they were not.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
I went back and watched the 4:00 minute mark of that video. I wonder why the gauge reads up to 240 reverse horsepower a while then drops off to 0? It almost seems as though the gauge starts reading at about 37 mph and it pulls it down to 35 mph then quits displaying. Could it be that while the gauge is displaying a number the wheel brakes are being applied.

240 reverse HP would definitely be slowing the truck. 175 reverse HP at the crankshaft should be enough to hold speed on the steepest part of the hill.

That was my take on what happened. But as always I could wrong.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes Westbound on Stevens Pass is fairly steep. You for sure want to be at the right speed when entering the right sweeping portion at the bottom of the steepest part.

You should try using your cruise control when you are descending in 3rd. I like 3rd with rpm's up near and at 3k, lots of braking power there!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III

B&W Companion

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I would still love to see how these trucks do at 80F or even 100F. "

Even pushing 100 trans does not get any higher, fan kicks in and drops to the 190's. This is pulling 33k combined on a steep long grade in the Rockies.

Looks really good!

Although I've never towed 30k with my truck, I have towed 16k all over the place in BC, which has steep mountain grades everywhere as anyone who has been here knows. The only time I ever have to use the service brakes is to lower my speed to catch a lower gear (my truck is a manual) because I've misjudged the steepness of a grade and need to slow down to avoid over revving the engine in the lower gear. Once it is in that gear (3rd is usually the right gear for really steep passes), I rarely if ever have to touch the brakes. Usually I end up having to give the truck some throttle because it's slowing down too much. Travelling with my wife's uncle behind us on Stevens Pass in Washington a couple of years ago, he actually thought my trailer was not plugged into the truck because he saw no brake lights descending the West side. I had another lady frantically wave me down in bumper to bumper traffic one time also claiming that I had no brake lights on my trailer, when in reality I wasn't using the service brakes at all.

Having experienced the exhaust brake in the Cummins for several years now, I truly believe that it was only the exhaust brake working in the video and not the service brakes on the truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:

Time:

MPG: