Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Cummins IKE pull

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
VIDEO

What do you think? (other than graphic error at 18:35 that says GMC DENALI 🙂 )

For me, the time is about what I expected as it is missing a 10 speed auto and has slightly less power than the Ford.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
131 REPLIES 131

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
With the Ford the brake lights only come while the wheel brakes are applied. The Ram is probably the same.

In my owners manual it states that the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is active letting other drivers know that you are slowing down.

Rob

This must be new for 2019?

Does it say anything about actually applying the truck or trailer brakes when EB is active?

It only says that it will show the brake lights from what I read. I don't have the adaptive cruise control or the towing technology group on mine. From the brochure it does say that the adaptive cruise control will stop the truck so it will apply brakes. Makes sense to me that it would apply brakes with the towing technology groups bells and whistles but will need to look that up. Adaptive cruise control applying truck brakes and no trailer brakes would be dangerous in my estimation so the truck braking with trailer brakes makes total sense to me.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
To measure how much better the Cummins exhaust brake is as compared to my Ford here is a test you can perform. I took my truck out and timed how long it took for the exhaust brake to slow the truck from 56 mph to 28 mph and it was 10.7 seconds. I used 56 mph to 28 because 56 mph put me at about 3000 rpm. You have different gear ratios so you'll probably want to go from 52 mph down to 24 mph. I could have clocked it using a higher engine speed because the Ford doesn't redline till 3600 but I thought I would give the Ram a chance;)
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Cummins: you need 382 reverse HP at the rear wheels of your truck to keep your 33k lb combined unit from accelerating on a 14% grade at 35 mph."

Something does not jive! I was locked in 2nd right against the redline or close to it. You had mentioned that section varied in grade as does the Ike. Who knows, I just know it did what it did.

Makes ya wonder how accurate these signs are????

Makes me wonder if the computer isn't programmed to apply wheel brakes at the engine red line to prevent over revving the engine.

Who knows. May be as it has to protect its self some how!

The only problem I have with this theory is that I kind of doubt that Ram had auto service braking technology in 2015.

I know it does NOT. I’m more thinking it would possibly upshift instead of over reving the engine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Cummins: you need 382 reverse HP at the rear wheels of your truck to keep your 33k lb combined unit from accelerating on a 14% grade at 35 mph."

Something does not jive! I was locked in 2nd right against the redline or close to it. You had mentioned that section varied in grade as does the Ike. Who knows, I just know it did what it did.

Makes me wonder if the computer isn't programmed to apply wheel brakes at the engine red line to prevent over revving the engine.

The only problem I have with this theory is that I kind of doubt that Ram had auto service braking technology in 2015.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
The 2020 RAM owners manual is here.

The towing section looks to start at 318. The exhaust brake section is on 230.

I don't see anything that talks about applying brakes when the EB is on, nor applying the brake lights. But I didn't read the whole thing.

I think the idea of all the electronics is to make the trucks simple to operate. Just put it in drive, push the auto EB button and go. The danger of explaining things in the owner's manual is that, unless things are explained to great length, it might confuse more people than it helps. Some would read that the auto button will apply wheel brakes on the down hill grade and think using auto could overheat their brakes. Auto is designed to be used not avoided.

Edit: I looked in my Ford owners manual and like the Ram manual, it says nothing about the Auto EB mode controlling the brake lights or wheel brakes.

I have thought for years the EB should activate the brake lights. I have warned people on group camping trips to be aware that I can slow without brake lights coming on.

NOW, applying the brakes, is something I would not want to occur, or at least provide a setting where one can turn the feature off.

The whole "thing" about having an EB is to have nice cool service brakes available in emergencies. Chris

You don't really need to be able to turn it off. What I mean is: say your truck doesn't have the capability to apply the brakes. You're descending a long steep grade with your 16000 lb RV in tow and you're in 3rd gear at 2900 rpm and 50 mph. Your EB is doing all it can to hold you back but can't quite do it. You've got two choices you can either use the wheel brakes from time to time to keep your speed in check or you can slow down to second gear. 2nd and 3000 rpm will have you at 35 mph.

Now, if your truck has the capability to apply the brakes it's going to choose the first option. So long as you're paying attention you will be aware of the brake applications and can still slow to second gear if you think that would be better.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

I don't see anything that talks about applying brakes when the EB is on, nor applying the brake lights. But I didn't read the whole thing.

I think the idea of all the electronics is to make the trucks simple to operate. Just put it in drive, push the auto EB button and go. The danger of explaining things in the owner's manual is that, unless things are explained to great length, it might confuse more people than it helps. Some would read that the auto button will apply wheel brakes on the down hill grade and think using auto could overheat their brakes. Auto is designed to be used not avoided.

Edit: I looked in my Ford owners manual and like the Ram manual, it says nothing about the Auto EB mode controlling the brake lights or wheel brakes.

I have thought for years the EB should activate the brake lights. I have warned people on group camping trips to be aware that I can slow without brake lights coming on.

NOW, applying the brakes, is something I would not want to occur, or at least provide a setting where one can turn the feature off.

The whole "thing" about having an EB is to have nice cool service brakes available in emergencies. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Like I said no one really knows how much fuel these trucks use. FISH what you say now?

So as 4x4ord mentions the 10 speed would have not made any difference. Did y'all see how cool the trans runs? YUP just like mine nice and cool.

Did y'all see how well the truck keeps the truck at speed downhill with the cruise on as I have mentioned many times? Heck I was holding 35mph at 14% in second for miles at 33k combined.

Rear air heck yea I know how well it works and yes my 15's steering is like being on rails unloaded and at full RAWR of 9,750# with a combined 35k.

SAE Towing capacity is 3k higher than the other two.

So bottom line I will gladly take a truck that is a bit slower up the hill with a "True Medium Duty" engine and transmission that will do this day after day and WILL get me down the grade with ZERO brake applications and the BEST part COLD brakes!

Did you notice the rear leafs of the factory air ride were different from yours? Chris

Yes. They have been for a while.

As mentioned. I run Full RAWR and rock solid.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:

B&W Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Like I said no one really knows how much fuel these trucks use. FISH what you say now?

So as 4x4ord mentions the 10 speed would have not made any difference. Did y'all see how cool the trans runs? YUP just like mine nice and cool.

Did y'all see how well the truck keeps the truck at speed downhill with the cruise on as I have mentioned many times? Heck I was holding 35mph at 14% in second for miles at 33k combined.

Rear air heck yea I know how well it works and yes my 15's steering is like being on rails unloaded and at full RAWR of 9,750# with a combined 35k.

SAE Towing capacity is 3k higher than the other two.

So bottom line I will gladly take a truck that is a bit slower up the hill with a "True Medium Duty" engine and transmission that will do this day after day and WILL get me down the grade with ZERO brake applications and the BEST part COLD brakes!

Did you notice the rear leafs of the factory air ride were different from yours? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since no one responded to my question about when the CUMMINS was at 3,500rpm I will answer it my self. I watched the entire downhill and the MAX rpm it was turning was 3,250 right against the redline.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CaLBaR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
With the Ford the brake lights only come while the wheel brakes are applied. The Ram is probably the same.

In my owners manual it states that the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is active letting other drivers know that you are slowing down.

Rob

This must be new for 2019?

Does it say anything about actually applying the truck or trailer brakes when EB is active?