cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Silverado 2500

Marine0311
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2020 Silverado 2500 with PUCK system for hitch placement. Told dealer that I would be using it as a tow vehicle and was assured that this vehicle would be all I needed. Turns out that Chevrolet moved the puck system back behind the rear axle for the 2020 year model. If anyone out there has one of these trucks with PUCK system, what hitch are you using? I've contact several hitch manufacturers and they say they are aware of the issue, and are designing new hitches. Can't find anyone yet at Chevrolet to tell me why they moved the location. The way it is now, the weight of the king pin will be just aft of the rear axle, a condition which I would think would raise the front end some. If I had to do it over again, I would of bought a truck with out the PUCK system.
28 REPLIES 28

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

How do I check to see if this is compatible with my lippert frame? My buddy converts his to gooseneck and he likes it. But I've read they can do damage to the frame. This one says it's compatible unlike others.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
How many inches back?
I played around with my Andersen and B&W and 2-4" made no difference in handling.
It also will depend on heavy your pin is. Mine was only 1800 lbs.

Not to be a wise butt head, but 1800 pounds really won't make much of a diff as you stated. When you're pushing 3500-4000+, that's where you're king pin location makes a diff. Especially for steering. Just look at folks towing TT where truck's headlights could guide in 747's, sparks from safety chains would make Smokey the bear cry and only front brakes on tandem axle trailer work right (or too much). Oh, not to mention the rear of TT high enough that a 'Vette can easily fit under it.

A TT is 4' behind the axle. A couple of inches in front or behind the rear axle isn't going to impact front axle weight very much at all even if it is 4000 lbs of pin weight.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Marine0311
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your information, very informative. I will let you know what I end up getting

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
How many inches back?
I played around with my Andersen and B&W and 2-4" made no difference in handling.

Not to be a wise butt head, but 1800 pounds really won't make much of a diff as you stated. When you're pushing 3500-4000+, that's where you're king pin location makes a diff. Especially for steering. Just look at folks towing TT where truck's headlights could guide in 747's, sparks from safety chains would make Smokey the bear cry and only front brakes on tandem axle trailer work right (or too much). Oh, not to mention the rear of TT high enough that a 'Vette can easily fit under it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The new trucks have a longer wheelbase.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Marine0311 wrote:
Just purchased a 2020 Silverado 2500 with PUCK system for hitch placement. Told dealer that I would be using it as a tow vehicle and was assured that this vehicle would be all I needed. Turns out that Chevrolet moved the puck system back behind the rear axle for the 2020 year model. If anyone out there has one of these trucks with PUCK system, what hitch are you using? I've contact several hitch manufacturers and they say they are aware of the issue, and are designing new hitches. Can't find anyone yet at Chevrolet to tell me why they moved the location. The way it is now, the weight of the king pin will be just aft of the rear axle, a condition which I would think would raise the front end some. If I had to do it over again, I would of bought a truck with out the PUCK system.

Actually GM moved the location of mounting the axle to the leafs with an offset but the hitch is still mounted in the center of the leaf springs. I think this change was done to reduce squat with a load and improve ride quality without a load.

So they lengthened the cab and then shorten the wheelbase to keep it close to the same as earlier models?

I'm not sure about that part but I recall the new trucks are a bit longer overall.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Marine0311 wrote:

Actually GM moved the location of mounting the axle to the leafs with an offset but the hitch is still mounted in the center of the leaf springs. I think this change was done to reduce squat with a load and improve ride quality without a load.

So they lengthened the cab and then shorten the wheelbase to keep it close to the same as earlier models?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Told dealer that I would be using it as a tow vehicle and was assured that this vehicle would be all I needed.”

Oh boy! Did he even know what weight and length you’d be pulling and lifting today much less tomorrow? Not actionable in my state...puffing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How many inches back?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Marine0311 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Behind the rear axle will still be a huge change from being behind the bumper. I my short bed truck I use a 5" offset ball to the rear with no noticeable consequences.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Being a few inches in front of or behind your rear axle will have an extremely minimal impact on your front axle weight, especially if you have a diesel. I wouldn't worry about it personally. I run a rail mount Andersen hitch flipped towards the back which puts more of the weight behind my axle and haven't had any issues at all.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you talked with B&W? Their hitch for GM puck system is adjustable ahead/back. IDK, but think you could move forward to be at least centered to axle, maybe even just ahead. Call them

Jerry