cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$21.99 Refractometer for Battery, Anti-freeze, and DEF

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out this $21.99 refractometer on Amazon. Lotta bang for the buck. Received it yesterday. Seems reasonably well-made and appears to work as advertised.

20 REPLIES 20

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pigman1 wrote:
First class. I have one that measures battery specific gravity and antifreeze freeze point but the DEF feature is a worthwhile addition. Thanks.
If your refractometer can measure a battery's specific gravity (and the freeze point of antifreeze), I'm guessing it should be able to measure DEF, too. The refractometer only measures the concentration percentage of soluble solids dissolved in the water. The concentration percentage of usable urea is within the concentration percentage range of battery acid's specific gravity.

According to my refractometer (with a urea scale), a sample of DEF will read approx. 1.31 on the battery specific gravity scale if the urea concentration is 32.5 percent (ideal). Approx. 1.33 if the urea is high at 34 percent, and approx. 1.29 if the urea is low at 31 percent. I believe the urea concentration percentage tolerance for Cummins is +/- 1.5 percent or 31 - 34 percent.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
First class. I have one that measures battery specific gravity and antifreeze freeze point but the DEF feature is a worthwhile addition. Thanks.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And now I've been educated on something once again.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
OK, now that you have it, what are you going to do with it? I had enough curiosity to spend 45 seconds researching and still don't know what it does . . .

Bill
Well, some of the things this particular refractometer can do:

1) Measure a battery's state of charge. Readings are more accurate than a voltmeter, plus you can check individual cells.

2) Calculate the freezing point of your anti-freeze---make sure your antifreeze is mixed properly.

3) Diesel owners can check DEF before using it to make sure it has the correct concentration of urea (32.5 percent). Folks have had to pay big $$ to have their DEF tanks drained, flushed, and filled after using bad DEF.

For some folks it offers a lot of functionality for $21.99; for others, maybe not.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, now that you have it, what are you going to do with it? I had enough curiosity to spend 45 seconds researching and still don't know what it does. This sounds like something Supercharged would have posted.......

Refractometer

Choose one, measure everything

Measure the refractive index and concentration of liquids, gels and solids using laboratory refractometers from Anton Paar โ€“ the universally applicable and user-friendly Abbemat series. Simply take your pick depending on the accuracy, temperature range and level of automation you require - you can be sure to find a digital refractometer model to suit your application and budget.

There is also the Rayleigh Refractometer used (typically) for measuring the refractive indices of gases. In veterinary medicine, a refractometer is used to measure the total plasma protein in a blood samples. In drug diagnostics, a refractometer is used to measure the specific gravity of human urine.

Refractometer - Wikipedia

There is also the Rayleigh Refractometer used (typically) for measuring the refractive indices of gases. In veterinary medicine, a refractometer is used to measure the total plasma protein in a blood samples. In drug diagnostics, a refractometer is used to measure the specific gravity of human urine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double Post.