cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2600 Miles Across Alaska: To the Arctic Ocean and back

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished 18 days, two ferries, and 2600 miles from Juneau to the Arctic Ocean. Long trip, no break downs, and nice to be back in the truck camper again.

We moved to SE Alaska two years ago, first living on an island with about 23 miles of roads, and now in Juneau, where we have about 40 miles of roads more or less. To use our camper on the road system entails a $500 ferry ride, so we don't really use our truck camper much anymore. We bought a big boat that we camp out of now, but we sure miss our truck camper days. This trip filled a big void in that regard. Just driving anywhere more than ten miles is a novelty, when you live in a place with very few roads that all dead end in the ocean.

Our "truck camper", the boat. Our "road system" in SE Alaska is endless, but it's all water. So we spend A LOT of money on fuel, zipping around here and there, visiting forest service cabins on the ocean.

Past time in Alaska, catching lots of salmon and halibut.

Day 1: Ferry to Skagway and drive to Whitehorse, Yukon.

330 am wakeup for a 7 hour ferry ride to Skagway up Lynn Canal.

We live in a rainforest.

With lots of glaciated peaks.

We spend almost every day on our boat, we didn't see this from the ferry, but I thought I'd throw it in here.

Arriving in Skagway, while it is inundated with cruise ships.

On a road longer than 40 miles!!!!

Made it to Whitehorse, Yukon. This time of year it gets dark at 1100 or so and light at around 0300 or so. It only got worse on this trip. Makes it hard to sleep.

Day 2-18 later....
43 REPLIES 43

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 9: 60 mile to Marion Creek

Passing through the Brooks Range again.

So easy a Goldwing can do it.

South side of Brooks and Atigun Pass.

Lots of euro vehicles

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Great stuff...thanks for sharing! Those family memories and scenery are timeless. Cheers
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a hard time getting my motorcycle clean after the roads up in the Yukon and Alaska. I found out that WD40 will break down the calcium carbonate. Saturate the filth and let it sit a while and rinse. Saturate again and scrub with soap and water.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Made it to Deadhorse and the uber land of industrialism. Paid the $60 or so bucks to go to the Arctic Ocean because you can't get there without security clearance.

Only rv dump in deadhorse. This didn't end well.

Cold arctic ocean swim.

Camp at 60 mile on the return home.

The reality...don't expect your shiny truck to look nice. It won't. I like my old beater for this reason.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
This keeps getting better and better. Glad I checked back!

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
On to caribou and muskox territory as we finish the final 240 miles to Deadhorse.

Campsite at Galbraith

Hiked up that peak in Books Range and found old fur and bones in what I presume is a bear den in the side of the mountain. pics below.

Galbraith Lake

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
GpnAZ wrote:
Great pics and memories you're making for you and your kids!! We just finished traveling through Alaska from June through July, what a fantastic State, we're on the final leg of our trip home now. Thanks for sharing!

Nice, glad you had plenty of time.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics and memories you're making for you and your kids!! We just finished traveling through Alaska from June through July, what a fantastic State, we're on the final leg of our trip home now. Thanks for sharing!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
North of the Arctic Circle the roads improved greatly. A nice long stretch of pavement followed by smooth dirt that we could drive 40-50mph on. A nice change. Scenery improved and became amazing near the Brooks Range. Minimal bugs, or should I say, tolerable bugs.

The nice stretch of road near the Brooks Range and Dietrich River

Hike up a peak in the Brooks Range

North side of Atigun Pass, the highest pass in AK at 4,000 something. Stunning place.

Slow, spongey, tundra slog to Galbraith Lake to fish, not catch.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 5: Yukon River to Marion Creek.

Coldfoot is the halfway to Deadhorse, and they ran out of diesel. We had enough to get the final 240 to Deadhorse, but with a small margin of error, so we opted to short day it at Marion Creek. This campsite is a must stop. Nice river, nice sites, couple miles from awesome burgers at Coldfoot. Coldfoot has $4/load laundry, which we did on the way back. Cell service as well potable water, propane, and big cookies.

The pipeline, our constant companion.

Dietrich River and foothills of Brooks range.

Tough guy trucker with a Chihuahua.

View from Marion creek campsite.

Had to.

Getting is arctic circle certificate.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I worked out of Ketchikan on the Mainland in the bush. For most of SE Alaska, a decent boat and an old beat-up Subaru are what you need.

NGaMountains
Explorer
Explorer
Really enjoying your thread. Great photos. Looks like the little guy had a great time! Thanks for sharing.
2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 4: Fairbanks to Arctic Circle

Finally getting near what we came to see. The pavement in AK/Yukon is generally crappy, but the dirt on the haul road is typically smooth and fast (45-50mph).

Pipeline on left

Yukon river jet boats

Finger rock

Lots of fishing along many rivers for grayling.

414 to go

Fast dirt

Yukon River camp has the most expensive gas on the haul road. Skip it. It's 240 to Coldfoot, and another 240 to Deadhorse. We just got gas once in Coldfoot.

When you drive 420 out, then 420 back, you see the same campers over and over again. Like this one.

Lots of steep hills and grades.

One mile south of Arctic Circle at a random little spot down by Fish Creek in the middle of a trap line.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 3

Tok to Fairbanks: Boring driving mostly, but roads improved.

Tok River.

Tok River campsite.

Another giant glacial river.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
The roads in the Yukon close to the AK border were the worst for us in 2011. The road to Fairbanks had lots of heaves and chuck holes. 50 was all I wanted to do on the motorcycle, because of road conditions on much of the Alcan. The packed gravel stretches were the best.

GREAT PICS
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.