cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 wheel drive indicator light stuck on ???

sunline1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to help from this forum I got my 93 S10 to go into 4 wheel drive. It was the vacuum actuator under the battery. replace this moring and now 4 wheel drive works.

When I move the floor selector to 2 wheel high the light indicating "2 high" @ the shift lever,comes on, but on the floor mounted "diagram" of the front "axle & wheels" stays lite. The truck is "out" of 4 wheel drive and operates fine in 2 high.

Also this truck hasnt been driven for a few years

Any tips/thought appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

sunline1
Explorer
Explorer
did a google search as indicated saw the one about the relay switch on the front axle, which controls the "axle indicator".
May look and see a. If i can locate it. B. How difficult it might be to change. C. Then decide either to change it, or drive as it is
id rather have 4 wheel drive working ans indicator light staying on than the other way around.
Thanks all for you inputs i appreciate it..

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I just got off several of the Chevy forums and this is a very common problem that is caused by multiple faults. You can do a Google search for "S10 4wd indicator problem" and similar terms. Quite often, it's caused by a vacuum relay on the right front axle underneath the battery. Evidently this vacuum relay is supposed to have zero vacuum in 2WD, and manifold vacuum in 4WD. In some cases, the relay is bad, and in others, there is a vacuum leak.

I did see several replies in these forums where people just ignored the indicator light and shifted into 4WD and back again as needed with no negative effects at all. I'd certainly look for that vacuum switch and check it out.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The switches are most likely out of adjustment and/or need contact cleaning
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

sunline1
Explorer
Explorer
tryed 3 starts in quick succesion, light still on. Thanks anyway

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
One of the ways I used to reset mine was to turn the truck on and off three times in rapid succession. It worked every time. It may or may not work for your S10, but give it a try.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)