cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th annual WestCapade

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I thought we only had one week off for vacation this summer and were not going to be able to go out west. But at the last minute we found ourselves with two weeks off and decided to head west from Florida.

Our original plan was to go to Colorado but the wildfires kept us at bay. Instead we opted for Wyoming, with our primary target the Teton's for some backcounty backpacking and kayak camping.

The following is a photo journal of our nearly 6,000 mile adventure.

First stop...Tupelo, Mississippi

Next stop....Tom's BBQ in Memphis, TN. Featured twice on Drive In's Diners and Dives and voted best in Memphis. Adam (owner) is a great guy and treated us like honored guests.

When you are traveling through both the desert and the mountains this is bound to happen in the same day!

Silvercliffe, Colorado

The Beckwith Ranch in Silvercliffe....

Next stop...Cody, Wyoming for a brief visit with friends then on to Yellowstone on our way to the Teton's.

Route 14, the east entrance to Yellowstone is a beautiful drive.

A view from Mt. Washburn, one of the highest points in Yellowstone.

Look closely and you can see the fire tower on the peak of Mt. Washburn. You can go online and see the webcam view from this peak.

A snowfield hanging on. Mt. Washburn

The requisite bison photo.

We met this amazing family just south of Yellowstone. They are a family of 5 and one dog on two bikes. They left their home in Durango, CO 2 1/2 months ago. Follow them on thefamilyride.com

Relaxing in the Teton's

This was our view from a free campsite on BLM land.

Getting ready for our Kayak camping portion of our adventure.

A little fishing from our Kayak campsite in the shadow of the Teton's

Not a bad place to stop for coffee and breakfast.

On a road through the Bridger Teton National Forest

Cowboy coffee gone bad.....

Getting ready for the backcountry backpacking portion of our adventure. We backpacked 7 miles into the backcountry and camped on the backside of the Grand Teton at about 8600 feet. We were staring straight up at those majestic peaks.

Got a shot of this moose through my Iphone and binoculars again.

This big boy was within spitting distance of our campsite.

This satellite view shows our campsite "dropped pin" in the shadows of the Grand Teton

We came across this "very fresh" bear scat!

The weight of a 40lb pack, elevation increase and decrease of 3200 feet and my 57 year old back gave me some problems after we returned from the backcountry. There was some inflammation around my disc which pressed on my nerves. Nothing that some steroids and pain meds could not fix. We spent no more than an hour in the Emergency Room in Jackson Wyoming. Thanks Doc Morgan!

Split Rock, Wyoming. This site is where the stage coaches and Pony Express passed through. I got to relive my youth playing cowboys and Indians in these rocks.

The Dear Wife is always glad to take over for me when I need a rest. This is our third trip out west with this dually. She says it's like driving her car. She remembers with much angst our previous trips with our SRW F250.

We stopped at Cabella's headquarters in Sydney, Nebraska. Pretty disappointing after you have been to Bass Pro Shops Headquarters in Springfield, MO.

Stopped at Meridees's in Franklin, TN. A must stop for baked goods and a hearty breakfast.

All good trips must come to an end and the Atlanta traffic will bring you back to earth in a hurry. We still had 7 hours ahead of us after we broke through Atlanta.

I spent the day today cleaning the road grime and bugs from nearly 6000 miles off the TC and the Dodge. They are both now spic and span and pointed in the right direction for our next adventure.
12 REPLIES 12

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Really great photos and write-up. You had much better photographic conditions than we had last year in the Tetons. Western fires made visibility very poor nearly all summer.

On your issues with your back, I have had similar ones related to my former backpacking career, boating on the ocean and the old seats in our 2000 F350. An inversion table has been the solution for me. Find someone who has one and try it out. They are great.

5percent
Explorer
Explorer
Ooooh - NICE! Enjoyed all the pix and adventures. Thanks for sharing.

5percent
06 Ford F-350 diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4
06 Bigfoot 25C10.6

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
Great trip report. How was the drive up Mt. Washburn? We looked at it but passed it up.

Not bad at all. A little bumpy. We just went slow. I put it in 4WD on the way down and never used the accelerator or brakes.

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report. How was the drive up Mt. Washburn? We looked at it but passed it up. The road looked very rough. We may have passed each other as we were in YNP from Sunday to Wednesday. I need to work on my report but need a day to recover.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great Trip Report and Photos, Thank you very much for posting. I need to go back and visit those areas again.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for taking the time to post. Pictures and commentary are much appreciated. We have experienced cowboy coffee gone wrong on more than one occasion and can sympathize with the ensuing predicament.

Looks like a good time was had by all. :B
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic trip, Crazy!! As the others have said, very much appreciate your sharing with those of us who remain homebound (at least so far) this summer. Great pics and looks like a wonderful time with two exceptions--the back trouble, and making your way thru Atlanta. That Sea Eagle looks like a comfy rig for TCing. Again many thanks for sharing.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trip report! Loved it! Thanks.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Ol__Gold
Explorer
Explorer
Very impressive Crazy Creek. Yellow Stone is something that is on our bucket list as well. But I have to say that you and the DW know how do it up correctly and yet get it all in. For me that was like a mini vacation here in my living room. Loved the idea of camping on the other side of the lake. Very cool!

Dan
2001 F350 7.3 4X4 with some aftermarket stuff.
2013 Arctic Fox 990 with some nice updates.
1993 Duckworth jet sled AKA "TheDandyDuck" with some fish killing features.
1997 Seadoo GTX, 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI both with some faster goodies added.

seldomseensmith
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been hoping somebody would take a great trip this summer like yours and share it with the rest of us who are currently "homebound". It looks like you had a great time and did it up right - The pics of Cody and Wyoming in general made me miss my old stomping grounds. Sorry it's over, but I'm glad you took the time to post this.

Eric
The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
wow Thanks for sharing. Hope you have many more wonderful adventures.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab