cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel rails in bed?

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Looking at buying a used TC just for fishing excursions when pulling my bass boat. I currently currently have a BW hitch in my 3500 short bed (6 1/2') crew cab and will use it frequently too. Truck has the electrical plug inside the bed. Other than pulling the hitch out, what else will I need before putting the TC in the truck bed? Is there anything I can do to leave the 5th rails in? Can I place rubber mats or plywood before and after the rails to even the floor out for the TC? Thank you all?
6 REPLIES 6

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished putting 2 sheets of plywood between the rails. The first layer puts up against the Reese rails where they hit the bed floor. The next layer is bigger and buts up against the side of the Reese rails. Now when i throw a rubber mat in the truck it will cover the plywood and the rails in 1 full piece.

I like the idea of the foam insulation, but for the first trip I have to drive 6 hours without the tailgate to pick up the camper. I think the foam would blow out even with a rubber mat installed.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2x6s, I need to raise the camper anyway to clear rhe truck roof.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance sits on 2 2x8s, 1frt and one back, and 2 2x6s, either side of the wheel wells. Been doing this on two different trucks for 15 yrs.

Mark

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Do the same as Wind Surfer works perfect, don't know why I don't take the rails out I never use the 5er anymore, it's become a guest room, much prefer the TC.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
No worries, just did a very similar thing; bought a TC so we can go to the boonies.

I bought 3/4" pressure treated ply and put my rubber bed mat on top of the ply. 5th wheel hitch rails are 1 1/8" above the bed. 3/4" ply plus rubber mat puts me right on the top of the 5th rails.

Haven't owner a camper for 20 plus years; all I can say is the electric jacks are sweet!
2011 Dodge 3500 DRW Laramie
2011 HitchHiker 31.5 FKLS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing to put in when you want the T/C is rigid foam like what is used to insulate foundations. It will not compress and is not slippery. It is also very light.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel