cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8 3-valve towing FW

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing a lot of research on Ford gas HD trucks these past few weeks and here are my observations. I've been poring over towing guides and brochures, and it seems like the 3-valve v-10s were a real bright spot (2005-2010), and then the HD gas engine market died when diesels started really making serious power in the 2010s. Then, the 7.3 came out when lots of people didn't know if they needed 1000 ft. lbs. to pull a 10K camper. On paper, the 6.2 that held the fort down in the 2010s doesn't look much worse than the 6.8 it replaced, but I wonder if it really pulled as well or was torque deficient. What I'm getting at here is that I'd like to know what people's real-world impressions are towing a 12-13K FW with a 3-valve 6.8. Seems like they only came SRW. I'm not cheap, but I'm not made of money either. Do I need a $55K new truck with the 7.3? No, I mean, I COULD get one, and I know it would do everything I need and then some. There is always the voice in the back of my head that says to pick up a $15-$20K 3-valve 6.8, stick $5K into it with tune and gears and whatnot, and make more power than a stock 7.3. Now, I know the transmission is a HUGE deciding factor. Also, a 15-ish year old truck compared to new. I feel like it's kind of like the hot rod mentality. There were guys who just bought a new Mustang or Camaro, but then there were the gearheads who bought old stuff and built it to what they wanted. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but if the 7.3 came stock with 550 hp and 600+ ft. lbs., I don't know that it would be a decision. 10 years between the 3-valve and 7.3, and the output just doesn't seem to justify the massive premium in price. Am I writing off the 6.2 throughout the 2010s too easily? Towing guides still give the old 6.8 better FW capacity than the 6.2 throughout.
17 REPLIES 17

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Your trying to compare a 10-15 year old drive train and price to a brand new truck.
The brand new truck will cost a lost more, have superrior features vs. the old and perform better. For all of this you will pay the price for a new vehicle.
However you should not consider this price a premium as though you are paying a surcharge.
Fast forward 15 years from now and those vehicles and technology will be superior to the 2021/2022 models of today. There price will also far exceed the value of a 15 year old 2021 truck. The lateset greatest will always cost significantly more.
A 15 year old truck will often be capable of getting the job done but trying to compare it t the latest technology in price and performance is futile.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.4L 3V has a TERRIBLE durability reputation ! While it does make good power, not many live a long life. Issues with phasers, timing chains, tensioners are well known and expensive to repair. Also, cam and cam bearing issues send many to the scrap yard.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Having either assigned or driven most every model of super duty gasser up through a couple 6.2s, the 6.2 doesnโ€™t feel like it gives anything up to the V10 but a lot of the v10 miles I put on were at very high altitude.
Bottom line, both will do the job similarly and I wouldnโ€™t want to pull a 13 k fiver with either, but theyโ€™ll both get you there. Better in the flatlands than mountains for sure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold