cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C tripping breaker

GotLift
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Not sure if this is a common issue with an easy fix or something else. Last year I noticed my A/C isn't working. We generally camp in higher elevations so it wasn't a big deal, but I definitely need to repair it. The fan works, but when the A/C condenser kicks on it will trip a breaker if plugged in or overload the generator when it is being used.

I've read other posts regarding the coils being dirty and I'll check that (I'm sure they are), but I'm reading that with dirty coils they trip the breaker after running for several minutes. Mine trips the breaker immediately, which leads me to believe the motor is probably bad.

Thanks
"If you remain calm while everything around you is chaos then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

2006 Ford F-250, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.0L Powerstroke
2010 North Country 27BHS
Me- Tommy
Wife- Lisa
Daughter- Makenna
Son- Kameran
14 REPLIES 14

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
If its dual, it's probably the run capacitor, are there wires hooked up to all the terminals ?. If so, you'll eventually fry the fan motor, that is too much for it.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

GotLift
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, bad capacitor. I pulled it out and checked resistance across the terminals and it is not reading resistance. The body is perfectly fine. No bulging anywhere.

I have a 370VAC 45/12uF, which is apparently pretty oddball considering I can't find one online with the proper terminals. I ordered a 370VAC 50/7.5uF instead.
"If you remain calm while everything around you is chaos then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

2010 North Country 27BHS
Me- Tommy
Wife- Lisa
Daughter- Makenna
Son- Kameran

GotLift
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Look for a bad capacitor. Also if you know how to run a ohm meter, then check it to ground. If grounded, you will need a new compressor. It would cost well over $400 to install a new $295 compressor, or more than the unit is worth.

A dirty coil will cause the compressor to draw to many amps, and trip the circuit breaker over time. It will blow out warm and then hot air, then really hot air, to the point that it will draw more than 20 amps (about 15 minutes if the fan is running or at least 3 minutes if the fan stops). The fan can stop due to broken wire, bad relay inside the control panel, or bad fan capacitor. However you do not have a bad fan, so leave those things out. . .

Good luck!

Fred.

Thanks Fred. I'm hoping for a bad capacitor. I figured its a throw away if the compressor is toast. I appreciate the info.

2010 North Country 27BHS
Me- Tommy
Wife- Lisa
Daughter- Makenna
Son- Kameran

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a bad capacitor. Also if you know how to run a ohm meter, then check it to ground. If grounded, you will need a new compressor. It would cost well over $400 to install a new $295 compressor, or more than the unit is worth.

A dirty coil will cause the compressor to draw to many amps, and trip the circuit breaker over time. It will blow out warm and then hot air, then really hot air, to the point that it will draw more than 20 amps (about 15 minutes if the fan is running or at least 3 minutes if the fan stops). The fan can stop due to broken wire, bad relay inside the control panel, or bad fan capacitor. However you do not have a bad fan, so leave those things out. . .

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My 5'er does the same thing when I try to run the A/C and outside ambient temperature is over 100F. It will run for awhile but eventually trip the breaker. No problems when outside temps are below 100F. Has done this since brand new.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
You likely need a 30 amp service to run / start your AC if you are also running other things. A "normal" house circuit won't be able to support that. What kind of genarator are you using? It needs to be rated probaby above 4500 watts. It could be the starting capacitor but more than likely you are just exceeding the capacity of the system. Make sure all your connections are clean, especially any adapters in the path.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Go up top, remove the cover and look for a blown hard start cap.
It will look something like this:

Sorry for the blurry image but the top of the cap will show damage and leakage like this one.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If running off the genny, is there another draw on power that's causing the problem.

It could be your converter is also trying to charge your batteries at the same time.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Start capacitor or compressor. I was able to make mine go for about a month after replacing the start capacitor. Then, the compressor gave it up for good.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

GotLift
Explorer
Explorer
It ran fine on the pedestal in a couple camp grounds we used early in the season last year. About mid season on it was all generator. It overloaded the generator on the last trip and the house circuit before that. It seems like a something failed instead of something gradually failing like dirty coils. I'll check the capacitor out when I get up there. Thanks for the input!

2010 North Country 27BHS
Me- Tommy
Wife- Lisa
Daughter- Makenna
Son- Kameran

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 on checking the start capacitor.
Is it the 20a branch circuit, 30a main or the pedestal that trips?

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be a bad started cap?
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

GotLift
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it has always ran fine on house power and on the generator. I first noticed the problem when I had it plugged into the house to charge battery and cool the refrigerator before a trip. My wife turned it on to cool it down for cleaning and it tripped the breaker (115V) in the garage that I use for welding (25 amp).

I plan to get it out of storage to have the tires replaced in the next week or two. I'll get up there and look it over then. Just wondering where to start looking.

2010 North Country 27BHS
Me- Tommy
Wife- Lisa
Daughter- Makenna
Son- Kameran

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming in the past the A/C worked fine when you had the generator running. If that is the case it could be one of several problems. Breakers do go bad and trip easily so it's possible that is the problem.

If it's not the breaker the more common cause is something in the A/C unit. You'll need to have it checked out by an A/C technician to determine the cause.
I'm guessing (I'm no expert) it's the starting capacitor that's bad.