cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acadia, traverse , enclave, strong sellers !

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following sales stats from goodcarbadcar.net most months, and am amazed at the comination numbers each month of these 3. They outsell any other suv. Does anyone have one of these and tow anything??
30 REPLIES 30

2500HDee
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
easycamper wrote:
bucky wrote:
It's a soccer mom vehicle if they can't or won't buy a Escalde/Denali/Tahoe. They are wonderful people movers, I'll leave it at that.

Or if they won't buy a minivan, which are better people movers and just as good for towing. But good for GM that they sell so many of them.

The minivan is the best people mover ever conceived, the wife had a Caravan many years ago, it's just no soccer moms want to be seen in them anymore.

The lambdas are minivans without the sliding door. 3 rows of seats with seating for 8 and front or all wheel drive. They are not trucks and aren't really marketed as them.
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 6.0L
2012 Summerland 2600TB

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
It's a soccer mom vehicle if they can't or won't buy a Escalde/Denali/Tahoe. They are wonderful people movers, I'll leave it at that.

Not all soccer moms want that big of a vehicle, my retired soccer wife did not. Surprisingly, there's not a big difference in price between a Tahoe and Traverse. A loaded Traverse is about $42K sticker.

Having said that, we have the Tundra for towing and the Traverse to serve as people mover. It's a pretty good grocery getter too although my Tundra will hold more groceries and more cases of beer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
easycamper wrote:
bucky wrote:

Or if they won't buy a minivan, which are better people movers and just as good for towing. But good for GM that they sell so many of them.

The minivan is the best people mover ever conceived, the wife had a Caravan many years ago, it's just no soccer moms want to be seen in them anymore.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wife has a Traverse and loves it, lots of room, excellent fit and finish. We would not tow anything with it but I guess you could if you wanted to.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Some people seem to feel that no one with hair on their chest would be caught dead towing with a unibody vehicle.

But, body-on-frame has been around since, what, the middle ages? :B So what if some of us bought something that's a little more 'Twenty-First Century' technology? ๐Ÿ˜› LOL

Seriously though, unibody vehicles have good strength and great rigidity. With the right drive train, cooling, and hitch receiver connection, they could tow right up there with the HD pickups. Body-on-frame is not sprinkled with magic pixie dust.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I have the similarly-sized Toyota Highlander (2008) and have towed with it for around 140,000 of its total 162,000 miles. The HL acts like it could go for another 162K. Not bad for a "car".

I imagine the Traverse and its sisters should be able to do about the same... despite the disadvantage of being GM products, lol. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zing!

Just think how many of this vehicle they would be selling if they still had Oldsmobile, Pontiac, SAAB, Saturn, Hummer etc. to prostitute the platform with badge engineering.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

I'd agree with you except for the fact that Escalde/Denali/Tahoe's are FAR more expensive. For a lot of folks that don't need to haul around a family and a 7k# trailer, why would they want the expense of owning a full size GMT platform SUV. Like any vehicle, they tow just fine within their rating. What exactly is the issue with the Lambda platform? Other than the obvious fact that you wouldn't drive one, or that it doesn't fit you needs.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think they are rated for 5k lbs! I won`t say much more than that on them!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
As noted elsewhere, I have had several of these in AWD. I have towed many livestock trailers. It does a great job for them, and is much easier to manuever the trailer than a HD CC pickup.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 11 Denali with a tow package and regularly pull my Ranger bass boat with it. Not sure what it weighs but I would think 3K at a minimum. It is hard to tell the boat is even back there. Plenty of power and no sag when I hook up.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

jbardram
Explorer
Explorer
We have an '14 Acadia, which replaced our '09 Outlook which is essentially the same vehicle. The Acadia has the tow package (tow/haul mode, factory hitch and cooler). I wouldn't want to tow a camper with it, but we routinely tow a utility trailer with two ATVs and gear (probably 3250lbs inc trailer) on 600 mile round trips to our cabin. Ive been very impressed with the Acadia. In some ways I prefer it for that trailer to our Silverado. Mileage isn't terrific with the utility trailer in tow (around 16mph on highway), but it never lacks for power or feels like the suspension is stressed, and that is with five people and two dogs as well.

Im not surprised at how well they sell. The Lamdas (Acadia/Enclave/Traverse/Outlook) have more interior room than a Tahoe and get better mileage, although real world is very close.
09 Chevy 2500hd 3.73 6.0 CC
05 Wildwood 27' TT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my small hybrid with a Traverse. I'm probably around 3300lbs on the camper (I dont tow with full tanks), plus wife, 2 small kids and some stuff in back.

It does completely fine on secondary roads at speeds up to 50MPH or so. I hardly even know the trailer is back there.

On the highway, it's a little different story here in hilly New England. The Traverse's low final drive makes it feel a little underpowered with the wind resistance 65MPH provides. Not that it wont do it, but you will definitely see it turn some RPM on the hills.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have the similarly-sized Toyota Highlander (2008) and have towed with it for around 140,000 of its total 162,000 miles. The HL acts like it could go for another 162K. Not bad for a "car".

I imagine the Traverse and its sisters should be able to do about the same... despite the disadvantage of being GM products, lol. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point