Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Electric to Hot Water

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
our hot water heater is propane only, electric was extra

can I add an electric element(the hole is there), whats involved with the control circuits
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
6 REPLIES 6

lc-12
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Hott Rod in my RV and use only that to heat the water for showers and dishes. No problems at all and keeps up with my needs pretty well.
If multiple showers, one after another, I will fire up the propane, but have yet to need to do that.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
The hot rod can be left on and the water is ready for dishes etc. For showering we still need to turn on the propane also. Now we don't have to wait for the water to get hot can start showing right away and the propane keeps up.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why they install gas only water-heaters. How cheap...
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mclark50
Explorer
Explorer
We had the dealer add a Hott Rod to ours. We love it. We brought the plug to the inside of the camper and it is very convenient to just plug it in when we want hot water. We do not leave it plugged in all the time. It gets very hot. It does void the warranty, but we really didn't care.
Marijane and Gene
Empty Nesters
2013 Coleman 15BH
2011 Nissan Frontier

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
There you go! I saw a kit at CW this weekend.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES you can install an aftermarket electric heating element in the water heater tank drain hole.

Kits are available.........Hott Rod & Lightning Rod are two that are available.
Remove drain plug, install heating element, hook up t-stat and plug it into a 110V AC outlet.
Will need to provide an outlet for the 110V AC power. Kit has everything else.

Two things to be aware of:
MFG. will VOID warranty if used
IF you have a Suburban Brand water heater you will need to get the Kit with one that provides an anode rod on it. There are much smaller than OEM rod so they will have to be checked/changed more frequently
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31