cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Power to Utility Trailer

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily a travel trailer question, but everything I'm looking for would be part of a travel trailer...

Anyway, I need to add a battery and a shoreline to an enclosed utility trailer, and I'm looking for some recommendations on what I'll need for the electronics - power converter/battery charger/AC to DC... etc. I want to add a power tongue jack, run some interior lights and have a couple power outlets. I'm not sure what all would be needed, and would like some help with sizing/brands.

Backstory: the trailer belongs to a volunteer fire department and is used to store/transport an ATV outfitted for off-road rescue and brush fires. Trailer is stored inside the station, with easy access to shore power, and is only used occasionally (3 - 5 times/year on average). Interior lighting would be used on scene while loading/unloading. Currently the power tongue jack is wired to pull power from the 7 pin connection to the tow vehicle, but we want to power it from an onboard battery. The break-away brakes are currently powered by a tiny little 12V battery that is not maintained, so it's questionable at best. Would want to move the emergency brakes to the new battery.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
mikeschu42 wrote:
Thanks for the input so far. I'm really leaning towards installing a converter/charger as this would seem a more permanent solution than a simple battery charger. This is the unit I'm looking at:
Progressive Dynamics (PD9245CV) 45 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard

Any thoughts on this charger/converter?
Good idea, makes for a permanent charging solution and a source of 12 V power when in use.
The PD charger should work well. I have a PD converter in my trailer, it is 44 years old and works like new.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input so far. I'm really leaning towards installing a converter/charger as this would seem a more permanent solution than a simple battery charger. This is the unit I'm looking at:
Progressive Dynamics (PD9245CV) 45 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard

Any thoughts on this charger/converter?
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just the little bit I know about fire fighters tells me to make everything bigger and badder than first conceived. I'd use a good-sized AGM battery for storage. An inverter of about 1000W would be a good additional accessory. Beyond that it gets normal AC power distribution. Install a power inlet on an exterior wall, connect to smallish load center (75 amp box should do). Distribute power using a few breakers.

It would be nice to have a small dorm fridge for cold drinks. In that case, an additional battery might be needed.

I'm also thinking that lighting will be one of the more involved tasks. I'd install some LED floods on the exterior and typical LED trailer fixtures on the interior.

You can get as complex or as simple as you need to with a conversion like this. The team may have input as to what's a must-have and stuff they could care less about.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on the results.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same although my trailer came with the interior lights already installed. The interior lights were hooked to the running lights under the assumption that you would need the lighting at night. I, however, removed the little brake battery and mounted a battery tray on the tongue. I put a terminal strip on the inside of the tongue, under the battery tray, so it would be protected and made all connections at that point. I ran a new 12v power wire inside the trailer to power 12v outlets and the lighting. I've added a 30 amp breaker at the battery positive terminal since these photos were taken.

Currently Between RVs

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely, like Chuck_the hammer said, use LED for the lighting.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it simple.. like above said.

battery, fuse box, LED lighting.

battery charger.. mounted or Not.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikeschu42 wrote:
Not necessarily a travel trailer question, but everything I'm looking for would be part of a travel trailer...

Anyway, I need to add a battery and a shoreline to an enclosed utility trailer, and I'm looking for some recommendations on what I'll need for the electronics - power converter/battery charger/AC to DC... etc. I want to add a power tongue jack, run some interior lights and have a couple power outlets. I'm not sure what all would be needed, and would like some help with sizing/brands.

For the use you're describing it doesn't seem to me that you need "everything" that would be part of a travel trailer, especially a converter / charger. For the limited use you describe I'd just drop a Group 27 deep cycle battery on the tongue and wire it directly to a few LED light fixtures inside the trailer. For 120 vac power just wire in a shore power cable to a small 4-position breaker box inside the trailer, then run a few lines out from this breaker box to conveniently located duplex receptacles. There's no need for a converter in this scenario as you can just use a stand alone battery charger to maintain the battery.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380