cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting together a Truck/ TC package

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have been out of the TC game in a class B+ or the past couple of years. Wife likes the MH better, but I missed my TC adventures.

Looking to get back into the game with a used truck and new TC. My budget for a truck leads me to a 2006 Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4, Duramax/Allison (don’t want a Ford/GM/Dodge bash session). Truck is pretty much stock with E-rated Michelins. Obviously, I will need tie downs- will be getting the Torklift setup with Superhitch/ Supertruss for towing. Towing will be either a 6,000# boat/trailer or a similar utility trailer.

The TC I want will be a new Lance 975. From what I have read, wet weight should be around 4500#. Anyone with this model have actual numbers? Any feedback on the 975’s? Will this be too much TC for the truck?

My questions will be how to rig the truck before picking up the TC? Torklift stable loads, Rancho adjustable shocks, Roadmaster sway bar are my primary thoughts.
4 REPLIES 4

TangoFox
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar setup, but didn't have enough payload to be "legal". The 1172 weighs in around 4550 lbs, wet (but without gear). The truck was 8220 when I last weighed it by itself. (see my signature for exacts) but 4x4, long bed, DRW.

As of last week:
My truck & wet camper total weight now is 12,860. I had a spring shop add upgraded 2000# springs to the vehicle, bringing my GWVR to 12,870. (10 lbs, woo!)

When I add all of my gear (I had most of it in the camper already), wife, dog, I should be up around ~13,100.

With the upgraded springs, no sway bars, it rides great. Sway Bars are being installed tomorrow just to make certain.
2008 Silverado 3500HD, EFI Live!, Additional Leaf Springs, Big Wig Front and Rear Sway Bars, Torklift Mounts & Tiedowns, Firestone HT 245/75R17, APE Intake, & Uniden BC536HP
Running with 2014 Lance 1172, Solar, Added Inverter

The Truck Camping Map Project

Bedlam
You will most likely end up with a stabilizer bar and upper and lower StableLoads to handle the TC. Air bags may be required depending on your TC and trailer tongue weight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haul a 4000lb TC on a stock (except for Ranchos) '05 SRW Silverado. 4500lbs should be just fine on a DRW.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good looking TC. I think those are good choices for modifications although some will say try it first. You might also consider air bags to give you some adjustability.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member