cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on a place to camp near Mt. Rainier and Mt St Helens

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
Now that our TT is functional and we have booked a couple of trips, we would love to spend a weekend between Rainier and St. Helens...sort of a volcanic weekend :). Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help and support!

Bob
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog
11 REPLIES 11

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Any place with full hookups?
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
We booked Taidnapam for late summer (September). Nothing open before then. It seems like a nice, quiet place.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Provided you're willing to stay in an RV park (you mentioned "campground") there is a very nice one that is convenient to both mountains. "Shady Furs" located in Randal which is about half way between the two. VERY nice folks operating the park (they brought us fresh produce to our door every couple of days). Peaceful setting, in a rural community with restaurant and stores close at hand.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
For Mt St Helen you might like Silver Cove RV Park at 351 Hall Rd Silverlake, WA (877) 380-7278 they are Passport America also Good Sam
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Seaquest last summer at the tail end of our trip to Yellowstone. We didn't love it. Might have been end of trip fatigue partially, but the forest loop feels very closed in and dark to us. The trees are dense and TALL and the undergrowth thick. Our site was a very tight and uneven sloped pull through. Mosquitos were also a bit of a nuisance. We prefer sites that are more spacious and open, so maybe others would like it more. We haven't stayed in the area much so don't really have an alternative recommendation for you.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

mrhddh
Explorer
Explorer
There are three campgrounds located off of SR 12 that put you roughly midway between either mountain....okay you will be closer to Mr. Rainier. Tacoma Public Utilities has two nice parks on Riffe Lake. One at Mossyrock and the other east of Morton (Taidnapam). Don't forgot Ike Kinswa State Park (if you can get in). The Tacoma Public Utilities park on Alder Lake are very nice, but would not be convenient for a visit to Mt. St. Helens. You can make reservations for all of these parks through the WA State Park Reservations site.
2006 Cougar 290EFS
2006 Dodge CTD 4X2 2500 QuadCab
SWMBO
Pippa & Dirk-the-Dog
I used to be amazed....now I'm just amused.

PatandMark
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Seaquest a couple times. I would avoid Sites T1 thru T16. They have full hookups, but they're lined up one right next to each other. Last time we were there I couldn't open my truck door all the way without hitting the neighbor's picnic table. There are sites in the forested loop with electric and water that are much nicer. It's a great park to explore Mt. St. Helens.

Pat
2002 GMC Yukon
2011 Lance 2185

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
For Mt Raineer, Alder Lake looks good. Nice park, I have stayed there.

We are thinking of doing Mt St Helens and are looking at Seaquest state park or probably the KOA in Longview. We haven't stayed at either of these yet.

We are also considering staying at Taidnapam and trying to do both from there.

I'd like to hear what people think about where to stay as well.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Trouble is Mt Rainier is too far out of the way from MT ST Helens. You could go to Mt Rainier Cougar Rock CG but then would have to double back to get to Mt St Helens Windy Ridge or go back to I-5 to go to Johnstone Ridge Observatory. JRO there is a $15 per person charge to see the show. There are many CG in Gifford Pichor NF but some roads are not trailer friendly. I think you should choose one or the other. Mt Rainier Cougar Rock or Ohanapecosh CG is very nice both can handle large trailer or MH. Both have Dump Stations and water. Mt Rainier should be showing it beauty this week very well. However make your reservations.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

tglazier
Explorer
Explorer
Paradise Creek in the Gifford Pinchot NF. It's on the south side of Mt. St Helens but you have Ape Caves, Lava Canyon, Swift Reservoir, and the Columbia Gorge all nearby. It is dry camping but the sites are great.
Retired USAF living in the Pacific NW USA
2014 Trail-Lite Crossover 200S

nOsSnakeEyes
Explorer
Explorer
Iron Creek Campground is beautiful if you like dry camping. I will go back some day.
2012 Wind River 230RKS
2003 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax