cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on frame damage

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
Back in January, my wife was rear ended in our 2007 Sierra. It bent the trailer hitch and bumper down a couple inches. I brought it to the local chevy dealer, and they submitted an estimate to repair the truck. We received an insurance check and dropped the truck off last friday.

The Chevy dealer called Friday afternoon and said the frame was actually bent where the trailer hitch mounts up. They stated they would need to submit a new estimate to straighten the frame. We have an appointment to drop it off on Monday. Here is my question:

How can a 2007 with 209,000 miles not be totaled due to a bent frame? I have 0 interest in towing my TT with a straightened frame. We are going to sell the truck after its repaired. It will have a diminished value of anyone runs a carfax on it.

Will I be pissing into the wind by calling State Farm and questioning how it is not totaled?
18 REPLIES 18

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Only when the cost of repair approaches the actual cash value of the vehicle will it be considered a total loss. The type of damage is not the issue. Diminished value is not allowed in all states.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned about the dealer, they apparently didn't examine the vehicle properly when they gave the estimate.

What else did/will they miss? JMO.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what a lot of folks who are not in insurance don't understand. It's not about the nature of the damage, it's about the acv of the vehicle versus the repair cost. Trucks hold their value very well. Your truck is probably worth 10k plus yet, maybe even more. Go on nada and check the retail value.

From what you described the frame damage sounds minor and is probably $1k or less to straighten. Frames can be straightened or replaced. It's very common. I bet your damages are no where near enough to total it. Just my .02. Good luck
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably be better off if you keep the repair check and trade it in as is.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464