cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

airstream ride?

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a bumper pull manufacture that builds a trailer that tows as well as an Airstream?
60 REPLIES 60

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
TorFlex axles don't suffer from bump steer like hung axles. This feature would probably reduce the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. and result in a smoother tow.

If your truck hurts her back while empty I would agree with the post about upgrading her seat. The next step is upgrading the truck. My current Dodge is a nightmare compared to my previous Titan in terms of ride comfort. Probably a result of completely different capabilities.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Any TT is going to pull smoothly, if they have Dexter Torsion Flex Axles.

Whatever you do, don't get a TT with springs or leafs.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Full air ride ram 1500. Rides very smooth with our 2017 ATC 28 front bedroom. Anderesn WD with polyurethane bushings to absorb schock. Lots of RV and smooth. Coach is all metal top to bottom with 4 wheel independent torsion suspension.

Kinda floats going down the road.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now that we know Airstream ride has nothing to do about the trailer... you're trying to improve the ride of your truck for the DW, I would suggest you look into a Bostrom full motion air ride seat for here.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River Rockwood and Windjammer trailers have the same TorFlex axles as the Airstreams. Having never pulled an Airstream, I don't know if it's as good, but our Windjammer pulls very nice.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Airstream trailers all have shock absorbers and that's likely the difference, not aerodynamics. Get a TT that comes with shocks (not many do) or has them as an option or have them added.

We had shocks added to our 29' TT and it made a huge difference. Improves not only handling but there is less vertical motion of the trailer's coupler transferred to the ball on the TV so the ride is more comfortable. Having towed the same TT with and without shocks, I would never own another TT without them. Also, the reduction in bouncing reduces the chances of things being thrown around inside, esp. in rear kitchen models.

Shock kits are available (Mor/Ryde or Lippert) or you can design your own using Monroe shocks. You'll need a certified welder for welding brackets to the frame and a frame shop to install new tie plates & U-bolts.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, billy, there are manufacturers that build a TT that pulls as well as AS. Next question...hopefully a better one. If that AS 25 years ago was so great, are you pulling an AS now?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be to make sure you don't get too big of a TT for your tow vehicle. Our 1st TT was a smaller one at 22' and 4050 lbs loaded. I towed it with an 08 F150. I used a simple EAZ-Lift WDH. I had air shocks on the truck because we carried a lot in the bed. The TT's tongue weight was around 600 lbs. The truck and TT rode like a caddy. Nice and smooth.
Went bigger to a 7300 lb TT @31' and the same truck. Towed like a bucking bronco. Moved up to a 3/4 ton and things got better.
My advice is to keep it simple and light. Any time you start trying to tow 9,000 lbs with a lighter tow vehicle you get the tail wagging the dog thing.
My 08 F150 all loaded up with camping gear in the bed far outweighed the TT.

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care about the aerodynamics.....wife has a bad back and I am looking for the best smoothest ride. We have tried everything that we can afford to sink into the Dodge dually and whether it is empty pulling a trailer or with truck camper it is just not tolerable for the wife at all. And I did get allot of help on trying to make it work and I suppose I could spend 5k and get the better ride but not doing it on that old of a truck.
So we are looking for either a small 5th wheel pulled buy a newer 1/2 ton or a trailer.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take it you're talking about aerodynamics. Depends on size, lots of fiberglass trailers have a rounded shape but tend to be smaller.

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I pulled a 25 foot AS and it actually felt like it wasn't even there? As they say I had to look back to make sure it was still connected. So what I am hearing is that the newer bumper pulls pull just as well?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Avion did, but no one else has the aerodynamics or keeps a low center of gravity. I've towed three different ones...21' and two 31' and only TT that high crosswinds do not bother, even coming out of the protection of a hill into the full force of the cross wind. Much the same when passing 18 wheelers...no sway/push.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you referring to 'aerodynamics' of Airstream (hence the name 'AIR-Stream')

Or

Are you referring to jerk/sway/feel while towing??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must be an imagination thing. Same axles as everyone else (most everyone if you don't have leaf springs that is)), Dexter Dura Torque
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't know Airstreams pulled better?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.