cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All 2024 GM HDS get the 10 speed Allison.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer

According to a sales guy, so take it with a grain of salt, the price will go up across the board by $3K to $5K for the 24 models. With the current state of the economy he is probably correct.
59 REPLIES 59

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Smoke and Mirrors 😉

Pretty sure Stelantis/Ram doesn't make the "RAM" logo that is placed on the grill and tailgate of a RAM truck. Is that smoke and mirrors?

Did you stay up late last night thinking that one up? :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:
the tranny is of course an ALLISON 10 speed.

Are you sure? You might just have Allison emblems stuck on the hood or fender. It might be a 10L90E or even a Powerglide with 8 more gears stuffed in the housing somehow.

Well it worked! The deal GM made to brand their 10 speed transmission as an Allison is fooling many, who now think they have a real Allison transmission.

So Allison designed the transmission and GM produces it. So what's the problem?

I recall Chrysler produced the 9 speed ZF designed transmission.

exactly. From what I remember when GM sold off Allison in 2008 or so one of the sales agreements was that the assembly factory making the Allison 1000 would remain with GM along with the agreement that Allison would design and the GM plant would continue to assemble Allision transmissions for GM truck use in the future. Not sure if the current transmission is a 1000 varient, but the drawback to the original 1000 was it's max torque capability. Over the years that has been upgraded and is no longer a weak link.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Smoke and Mirrors 😉

Pretty sure Stelantis/Ram doesn't make the "RAM" logo that is placed on the grill and tailgate of a RAM truck. Is that smoke and mirrors?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smoke and Mirrors 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:

Are you sure? You might just have Allison emblems stuck on the hood or fender. It might be a 10L90E or even a Powerglide with 8 more gears stuffed in the housing somehow.

Well it worked! The deal GM made to brand their 10 speed transmission as an Allison is fooling many, who now think they have a real Allison transmission.

So Allison designed the transmission and GM produces it. So what's the problem?

I recall Chrysler produced the 9 speed ZF designed transmission.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
So have the new Allison tranny's been bad or good? I have not heard either way. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pbutler97 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:

ROFLMAO....some of you take the cake.

So you think they are being forthright and honest???

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:

ROFLMAO....some of you take the cake.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
Also the engine is the very same engine I have in a 2018 3500, the tranny is of course an ALLISON 10 speed.

I understand where you were going with calling shenanigans on 12Vs passive aggressive selective brand loyalty issues, but this ^ statement doesn't make sense to me.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ksss wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Maybe? this will shame Ram into getting a better trans from the past decade or so into their big diesels?

On another note, the drug testing policy for the GM truck artistic designers is still not working in their favor. For the love of God, how does Chebbie come up with such a butt ugly nose and then keep using that design?

They use the design because it sells. Yes, it is more polarizing than it needs to be, but they have increased their marketshare since 2020, the start of the new design (which to be fair, may be inspite of its looks and not because of it). Either way, if it sells, it stays.

The reason they have improved sales is because they changed engine and trans components to keep up with RAM and Ford on SAE towing numbers.

Did GM take a survey asking what the 2020 to current buyer's decision process was when buying? If they did, this is the first I heard of it. I own one, no one asked me. So I am not sure where you got your statement from. If it as ugly as many think it is, why not buy a Dodge or Ford? The Ford has had more power and torque during that same period anyway. Also the engine is the very same engine I have in a 2018 3500, the tranny is of course an ALLISON 10 speed.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Let's make this perfectly CLEAR. The trans in the current GM's are only "BRANDED ALLISON". Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

RAM has a Chrysler trans and AISIN MD trans. Ford has its own HD trans. No smoke and mirrors with either of them.

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am assuming yours is actually built by Allison?

To be clear I am not saying anything bad about the current GM trans it's just a bit deceiving.

Let's make this perfectly CLEAR. That's exactly the point you were trying to make. Why beat around the bush and not just throw it out there?

I am however seeing your logic. Since from 1930 or something up until the mid 00's Allison was GM, I then assume that since RAM is/was a Chrysler/Dodge and the Ram logo was associated with same since about forever, and now it's a Chrysler/Dodge/Peugeot/Fiat branded as a RAM, it's all equal in the deception department huh? ROFLMAO.

Only at RV.net!

Grit dog wrote:

On another note, the drug testing policy for the GM truck artistic designers is still not working in their favor. For the love of God, how does Chebbie come up with such a butt ugly nose and then keep using that design?

Based on what I have seen so far, they must be buying some cheaper less potent drugs where the 2024 is concerned. They scaled the ugliness back a little and it almost looks like a Chevy again, well almost.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
😞
larry barnhart wrote:
Me Again wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
and the present 2005 :(duramax dually. chevman

So Larry did you buy a park model in AZ or have you hung up your snowbird hat?

Like you my wife is failing. NO more rving. Not sad but happy to have less stress and being home is good. chevman

I’m sorry to hear that sir. My best to your wife and you. I too understand what you’re going through. 😞
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
and the present 2005 duramax dually. chevman

So Larry did you buy a park model in AZ or have you hung up your snowbird hat?

Like you my wife is failing. NO more rving. Not sad but happy to have less stress and being home is good. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110