cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.....I am looking to buy a travel trailer. I have previously own 2 Fiberglass units. I saw a program on TV talking about RV's and the person was saying aluminum trailers were better in a lighting strike than fiberglass.
I would like to know what is the pro & con of the two.Thanks for your wisdom & knowledge.
55 REPLIES 55

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Find a fiberglass sided aluminum framed trailer that uses Azdel as the backing for the fiberglass. Zero delamination.

Not even close to the truth. Most only use Azdel for the outer substrate layer between the filon skin and center frame and foam layer. The inside is still Luan plywood. Sure the Azdel will not delaminate itself when wet like Luan but the adhesives are low VOC water based. Get water in the panel and the filon can delaminate from the Azdel, or the Azdel from the foam and aluminum tube center, or the inner wall panel can delaminate or fall apart.

Zero chance of delamination is far from a fact. Better yes....Bulletproof? Far from it.

A lot of marketing mumbo jumbo for sure and if it sways your purchase decision so be it.

A thing most people do not consider is the method of lamination. Vacuum bonded panels are far better than panels laminated by pinch rolling. Our 2013 Keystone had no delamination but after 3 years you could see every panel joint in the lamination, because Keystone uses pinch rolling. Were in our 3rd season in our 17 Rockwood and I can not see a seam as Rockwood vacuum bonds the panels.

Looked it up. RV Azdel walls have no wood. they are constructed as follows. Fiberglass exterior, Azdel, insulation, Azdel, dรฉcor interior. NONE of the pictures showed any wood period. No wood was mentioned in any of the descriptions. In truth. It was specifically noted that there is no wood, luan or other wise in a Azdel wall. You may know what you are talking about. But the construction cut aways, and specs tell a different story.

It was also NOT promised there could be no delamination, But that the chance is drastically reduced. I tried to download a picture, but it wouldn't. However. you can go to www.azdelonboard.com to see the construction of Azdell. This is the wall construction of the Coachmen RVs.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
ppine wrote:
which is going to rot faster when it gets wet, wood or welded aluminum?

You are still confusing the issue.

Many aluminimum skin units come with aluminum frames. This is not a new thing. I recall my Dad grumbling about the wood frame on the old trailer failing when he got a new aluminum skin/aluminum frame trailer in 1978.

Fiberglass skin units really do poorly if they leak because the substrate for the fiberglass is plywood. Go walk around a park and count the number of units over 5yrs old that you can see delamination from the road. I've done this a couple times and at 5yrs, it seems to be around 50% have delamination visible from the road. If you include up to 10yrs old, it's probably in the 80-90% range. (of course that doesn't mean there isn't hidden issues in the aluminum sided units)

Reality is unless you are special ordering new or going on the smaller side, you won't have a lot of aluminum RV's to choose from.

My fiberglass walls have no wood in them. they are Azdell
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Find a fiberglass sided aluminum framed trailer that uses Azdel as the backing for the fiberglass. Zero delamination.

Not even close to the truth. Most only use Azdel for the outer substrate layer between the filon skin and center frame and foam layer. The inside is still Luan plywood. Sure the Azdel will not delaminate itself when wet like Luan but the adhesives are low VOC water based. Get water in the panel and the filon can delaminate from the Azdel, or the Azdel from the foam and aluminum tube center, or the inner wall panel can delaminate or fall apart.

Zero chance of delamination is far from a fact. Better yes....Bulletproof? Far from it.

A lot of marketing mumbo jumbo for sure and if it sways your purchase decision so be it.

A thing most people do not consider is the method of lamination. Vacuum bonded panels are far better than panels laminated by pinch rolling. Our 2013 Keystone had no delamination but after 3 years you could see every panel joint in the lamination, because Keystone uses pinch rolling. Were in our 3rd season in our 17 Rockwood and I can not see a seam as Rockwood vacuum bonds the panels.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadhound 64 wrote:
What RV manufacturer have wood frame units?

All the major players, Jayco, Forest River, etc. have a line of aluminum sided wood frames.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
ppine wrote:

Many aluminimum skin units come with aluminum frames. This is not a new thing. I recall my Dad grumbling about the wood frame on the old trailer failing when he got a new aluminum skin/aluminum frame trailer in 1978.

Do you have any specific examples, such as manufacturer and model, of an aluminum sided aluminum framed trailer made today. I'm aware of Airstream, Livin-lite, and AVT along with some off brands like Work and Play. Run of the mill aluminum sided trailers that have S lock panels are always wood framed to my knowledge. Its a little hard to shoot a staple though an RV siding flange into aluminum tube and expect it to hold. The RV manufacturers are notorius for missing studs or blowing staples clean through the flange even with wood framing. I know of none using conventional RV S lock panels on aluminum framing.

I have seen more than a few new trailers with aluminum siding coming loose, especially with the thin gauge garbage used today, and a few on the PA turnpike being hauled to dealers by transporters with panels flapping in the wind. The only thing keeping it on was trim, molding, and windows.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:

Fiberglass skin units really do poorly if they leak because the substrate for the fiberglass is plywood. Go walk around a park and count the number of units over 5yrs old that you can see delamination from the road. I've done this a couple times and at 5yrs, it seems to be around 50% have delamination visible from the road. If you include up to 10yrs old, it's probably in the 80-90% range. (of course that doesn't mean there isn't hidden issues in the aluminum sided units)

Reality is unless you are special ordering new or going on the smaller side, you won't have a lot of aluminum RV's to choose from.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer
What RV manufacturer have wood frame units?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Wood rots when wet and bonded panel/aluminum frames will delam when wet.

As one wise member says they both have pluses and minuses.

Having had both types if I was buying new it would be a good quiet wood frame unit with either type of siding.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
The old stick and tin trailers can be really heavy.
Aluminum framing is stronger and lighter and not subject to rot. Aluminum framed trailers usually have fiberglass siding.
My next trailer will definitely have aluminum framing and probably fiberglass siding. It saves a lot of weight.

You are confusing siding with framing.

Either siding can have either framing.

Fiberglass siding, is typically heavier.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass handles hail much better. Aluminum will look like a golf ball in a minor hail storm.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my fiberglass it was easy to wash & wax. It seems like both types have good and bad.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen an aluminum sided RV with delamination but I've seen it on lots of fiberglass sided ones.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having has both. I can state, for me anyway. Because I wax my camper at least once a year. the smooth Glass sides are WAAAAAAAY easier to wax, and keep clean. I can wax the fiberglass in less than 1/2 the time it takes to wax the ribbed sided aluminum.

Having said that. Get what you want. With a little more work. The ribbed aluminum can look as good as the fiberglass. However as mentioned. The fiberglass campers seem to be a good bit lighter.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers