cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone - we are in the market for our first TT and are unsure of the real differences between aluminum and fiberglass siding (besides price). Can someone help us out?

Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:

i thought I had read here where camplites went to a wooden floor because of complaints of cold floors when they were aluminum. I would have bought one of them instead of my ascend if their small ones had a decent sink/vanity in the bath.
bumpy

They went to a non-wood composite floor. Some who own them seem to like them so far. The floor in my Camplite is aluminum which I like, but it does get cold at times. Here is info from Camplite regarding the floors:

ยท Absolutely NO WOOD in the super structure, including the floor system

ยท 5 layers-We use 5 layers to construct the floor. Lamilux fiberglass top, 1-layer of Azdel, polystyrene(High-density block foam insulation), lastly another layer of Azdel and Darco protective wrap

ยท Most laminated floor systems use wood product called luan, LL DOES NOT use wood. We have thoroughly tested(weight per sq inch) this new and improved floor with the fiberglass top layer. it has outperformed the luan constructed laminated floor system used by many manufacturers in the RV industry.

ยท Aluminum framed floor. R-value is 10 VS previous way was R-0

ยท Heat/Cold transfer is less do to the insulated floor over the aluminum floor

ยท High-density Block foam adds noise reduction

ยท More comfortable to stand on, Smooth fiberglass top, no ridges like the aluminum floor system

ยท This new advanced floor is lighter weight than the old floor system.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Wasn't aware of Camplites. But they'd be in the same class as Airstreams then.

What most folks are talking about when referring to aluminum siding are the RV's that have the aluminum siding sort of like a house. Those siding types have wood frames.

Thanks, understand. I figured that is what you meant and agree. I just wanted to mention another type of aluminum sided trailer that some may not think about. The siding on the Camplite is smooth and very rigid; much different than the house like siding you mention.

Thanks again for the clarification. ๐Ÿ™‚

i thought I had read here where camplites went to a wooden floor because of complaints of cold floors when they were aluminum. I would have bought one of them instead of my ascend if their small ones had a decent sink/vanity in the bath.
bumpy

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another issue to keep in mind is both aluminum and fiberglass are popular but both depreciate rapidly. The outside skin seems to make little difference.

Except for Airstream and a few other unique brands which have an almost cult following, the outer shell and the roof material seem to be immaterial.

I do not recall anyone getting more for any specific TT construction, no matter what the dealer says.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Aluminum is older technology affectionately called stick and tin. It is well established with several generations of design, construction and repair history.

Fiberglass is a newer technology. Though also a couple of decades olds, the technology continues to evolve. Fiberglass lends itself to the fancy shapes and sculpted designs that folks like, plus it offers a broad canvas for today's artistic decals.

Aluminum is prone to dents, fiberglass is prone to de-eliminations. Which is better is mostly a matter of opinion or unusual circumstance such as the aforementioned hail or intense sunshine.

In my humble opinion, the floor plan and interior components far outweigh the exterior covering.

Good luck

this is what we did, we found one with all the things we liked and bought it, but I prefer the metal for durability, but the fiberglass for looks
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Atlee wrote:

What most folks are talking about when referring to aluminum siding are the RV's that have the aluminum siding sort of like a house. Those siding types have wood frames.

Thanks, understand. I figured that is what you meant and agree. I just wanted to mention another type of aluminum sided trailer that some may not think about. The siding on the Camplite is smooth and very rigid; much different than the house like siding you mention.

Thanks again for the clarification. ๐Ÿ™‚

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

djsamuel wrote:
Atlee wrote:
I believe you're wrong here. If an RV has aluminum siding, it's almost 100% sure to have a wood frame. Not counting Airstreams of course.

None of Jayco's aluminum sided trailers have aluminum frames. They all have wood framing.

Camplites have aluminum frame and smooth aluminum siding.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
One of the biggest differences I noticed was that the siding is a less rigid unit. For example, when lowering my stabilizer jacks, I have to be very cautious as to how tight I make them. I hear all types of noises and cracking as the unit easily twists and you can place your unit / doors out of square quickly. I never had this issue with my previous fiberglass TT.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Atlee wrote:
I believe you're wrong here. If an RV has aluminum siding, it's almost 100% sure to have a wood frame. Not counting Airstreams of course.

None of Jayco's aluminum sided trailers have aluminum frames. They all have wood framing.

Camplites have aluminum frame and smooth aluminum siding.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
It's very difficult to repair if damaged, really the only repair is panel replacement....

SidecarFlip wrote:
...I never said it could not be repaired. Anything can be restored/repaired ...
Looks like you provided your own rebuttal.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Atlee wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:
A little correction: Most new RV's regardless of siding use Aluminum studs not wood, so having aluminum siding does not mean you will have wood studs that will rot.

Of course, water inside the walls is a bad thing no matter what construction method is used.

Odd, my Dads, brother-in-laws and my previous aluminum sided trailers all had aluminum framing.

But again water inside ANY wall is a bad thing. If you walk around a campground, almost every fiberglass sided trailer over 10yrs old will have at least some delamination.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I will repeat, floor plan trumps everything, it remains when all else is forgotten or accepted. If you do not believe me, ask your spouse. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

If you truly believe that I know where you can buy a Bounder with an excellent floor plan, with rubber roof, on a P-30/32 chassis. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlee wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:
A little correction: Most new RV's regardless of siding use Aluminum studs not wood, so having aluminum siding does not mean you will have wood studs that will rot.

Of course, water inside the walls is a bad thing no matter what construction method is used.

X2
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
My Riverside RV has Al sides and Al box framing (steel chassis frame). Where does this "almost 100%" come from?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will repeat, floor plan trumps everything, it remains when all else is forgotten or accepted. If you do not believe me, ask your spouse. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.