cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turned away,told me they dont accept truck campers

chris_eck
Explorer
Explorer
I posted something similar on the Lance forum about this. I was turned away at Bay Bayou RV Resort Tampa , Fl. They said no truck campers per management. Looking out their office window I could see several $5000.00 travel trailers and a few worn out class C"s and some newer class A"s . I guess a $100k plus truck /camper combo doesn't meet their requirement for RV"s. Do any of you experience this a lot ? Should I mention that I have a truck camper from now on, even if they don't ask when I'm making a reservation ? 2017 ram 3500and 2016 Lance 1172. Thx Chris
Christopher W. eckenberg
56 REPLIES 56

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
I've had my TC in over 20 states over 13 years. I've never once run into this. .................They're allowed to make their own rules. I don't begrudge them that.

Ditto, except over 20 years. Obviously it happens, but it is an extremely rare occurrence.

The only time I've ever been "banned" from a CG was when we had two dirt bikes on a trailer behind our truck. They would not let us in, even though we agreed to leave the motorcycles on the trailer. Their CG, their rules.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
pcoplin wrote:
Personally, I don't understand why anyone with a truck camper would want to stay at a "Resort" RV park anyway. But that's just me. For me, truck camping is about mobility and getting to places other's can't. If you want cushy RV parks where motorcoaches roam, get a motorcoach or large TT. But...I' am in the west, and am lucky to be able to camp on lakes and rivers without anyone around. ๐Ÿ™‚

Try to camp in spots where nights cool down to 95F ?
Also sounds like you never enter a city with your camper?
We can run generator overnight at rest areas, sometimes at Walmarts, but once you get into no-hook ups campground, they usually have "No generator after 10 PM" rule.

I have to ask why would you run your genny all night anyway. I never do that. Cool it down and turn it off and go to sleep.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has to be the biggest plus of a TC...mobility. I can park my outfit at the mall, on a side street, at KFC, or anywhere my pickup truck will fit. I've even taken mine through the BK drive through (making sure the height poles aren't there first)...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Nope, never happen to me, but Florida is on my schedule for next week, so I know what to avoid.
I like to take advantage of my senior pass, so don't really look for private campground as they don't offer $7 or $10 hookups.
2nd note, I drop my camper at each campground where I stay more than 3 days and other members reported that as problem. Never happen to me.
To top it, we drove via Monument Valley, AZ (remember John Wayne movies?) where Indians have specific "NO RV allowed on the trail" signs.
I just drove via it with my camper.

When no RVs are allowed, I am a truck with cargo (including in monument valley). When there is an open space in RV parking only or at a (reasonable) RV park, I am an RV.

See how that works?
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
pcoplin wrote:
Personally, I don't understand why anyone with a truck camper would want to stay at a "Resort" RV park anyway. But that's just me. For me, truck camping is about mobility and getting to places other's can't. If you want cushy RV parks where motorcoaches roam, get a motorcoach or large TT. But...I' am in the west, and am lucky to be able to camp on lakes and rivers without anyone around. ๐Ÿ™‚

Try to camp in spots where nights cool down to 95F ?
Also sounds like you never enter a city with your camper?
We can run generator overnight at rest areas, sometimes at Walmarts, but once you get into no-hook ups campground, they usually have "No generator after 10 PM" rule.

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
pcoplin wrote:

Agreed but sometimes staying at these places becomes a necessity more than anything, especially if trying to get from point A to point B, running really long hours and needing a place to hookup so you can take a nice shower and hit the sack. I've also taken advantage of these places when I'm traveling on business inside a city. I'd much rather be out enjoying a quite river somewhere remote but that isn't possible in the middle of a city usually.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Bedlam
Reading some of these posts, I would not be surprised if attitude results in bans of truck campers. We enjoy camping in resorts and boon docks and government run campgrounds and parking lots and...

Maybe some of the posters don't belong in places where they snub the other visitors and where they do not know how to act.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
stufarmer wrote:
First, we own a Truck Camper. I understand why we're refused in so many Campgrounds.

Letting a Truck and Camper in an Rv Park is like letting a Mobile Home move into your neighborhood.
Have you not seen what the average Truck and Camper looks like. It's embarrassing .
The Clampets are here. They must be on Vacation. To harsh .. You've done it to yourselves.

I'll merely point out that when Hollywood wanted to imply "Trashy", they chose a Class A for Breaking Bad. I can still see Brian Cranston driving that meth lab hog, stripped to the skives, gas mask on...LoL... CLASS A!

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyhandz wrote:
I stay away from anything with "Resort" in the name. We do not have two little dogs that bark 18 hours a day or a golf cart. My wife and I do not have matching jogging suits or a 90 inch tv on the side of our "coach". We prefer not to camp among "Those People". Well I should say park with "Those People" as it's not camping.

Amen to that. I have no intentions of hanging with those upity clowns; we tend to try and get away from civilization, not closer, when we camp.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
stufarmer wrote:
First, we own a Truck Camper. I understand why we're refused in so many Campgrounds.

Letting a Truck and Camper in an Rv Park is like letting a Mobile Home move into your neighborhood.
Have you not seen what the average Truck and Camper looks like. It's embarrassing .
The Clampets are here. They must be on Vacation. To harsh .. You've done it to yourselves.
You think this truck and TC look embarrassing? It is a 1988 with decals removed.

This is a 2017

Both are very nice looking units.

Lakeside

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reddog1 wrote:
EDIT: Found some info on removing TC from truck. Appears there is a law.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24136271/print/true.cfm

The links to the law inside the linked thread are dead. With a little searching, I came up with this: https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IDE898DF0437B11E0BDCFEEDCD67AC89A?viewType=FullText&origin...

No mention of the prohibition in question, and the history section shows it was repealed in 2011.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
10 years is surely arbitrary. Unless you are very familiar with decals, you won't be able to tell what year most RVs are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It's all relevant.

I stayed at a CG where the owner was VERY strict about only allowing nice MH's in his park. Firmly enforcing the 10 year old or less rule!

There was a MH rally scheduled during my stay there which I had extended my stay by a couple of days more than originally intended.

The owner asked if I wanted to move to a different site because that area was reserved for the rally and he said they might get a little loud and into the late evening. I said no I didn't mind I'd just stay where I was at.

Well....I was surrounded by the most beautiful Bluebird MH's that weekend most of them from 1980 and some even older but you couldn't even tell!

What a wonderful group of RV'ers they invited me to campfire dinners and inside their MH's so proud and eager to show me how they restored them back to original. Some of the insides of these MH's were just spectacular.

Over coffee the next morning I asked the CG owner what happened to his strict 10 year old rule! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.