cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the Greatest Truck of all time goes to..............

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FORD

Not the one your thinking of though I bet. :B Payload seems kinda low to me?

I'm partial to #18, #12 & #15, #21 myself though. Hmmmmm, I think I see a trend for what I like?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
7 REPLIES 7

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Back then just past the turn of the past century, many entrepreneurs, gas station owner/operators, farmers, tradesman and just regular guys made their own pickup by sawing off the back of a sedan or a coupe ...therefore creating the first pickups.

This is also how many early tow trucks were created....usually using older, big, heavy sedans like Cadillacs, Packards, Lincolns, etc....as they had heavy frames, large engines and could be fitted with rudimentary hoists, winches, etc.

This was before the collector car hobby was in full swing.

Welcome to the Australian Ute or Coupe utility. Not a Pickup(no division between cabin and tray)/ Later Ford Falcon Utilities were more like Pickups with a 2,700lb payload.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Rick I actually saw that truck in person at the car show in Priest River when I was up there in 2010? or so.
NICE TRUCK!

I actually missed #16. Another one I would take.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
AUWing wrote:
O that Dodge Power Wagon . . . What a brute in the woods come time to load firewood

And when the drum brakes give out, just run over a few trees to slow it down. 🙂

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Looks like 6 Rams, 6 GM/Chevy, and 6 Fords to me. So that would be a three way tie.

Don

X 2.

Now the Ford Model T pickup, I would say, got the nod as # 1 due to the fact that it was probably the first manufactured by a company. I say probably, as back then there were many, many manufacturers...who may have been there first with a factory made pickup. I don't know.
You don't know, No one knows.... for sure.

But let's give the Model T the nod, as it was the first pickup manufactured in any sizeable numbers.

BTW, I'm a fan of the Model T...it was my dad's first car. A used 1926 'T' got him in the car world...1935 I believe.

Ran ok, except while driving, he had to keep chewing gum, in order to plug up a hole in the gas tank. He had to plug up the tank hole about every 15 minutes, as the gum lost it's ability to plug in that time.

Back then just past the turn of the past century, many entrepreneurs, gas station owner/operators, farmers, tradesman and just regular guys made their own pickup by sawing off the back of a sedan or a coupe ...therefore creating the first pickups.

This is also how many early tow trucks were created....usually using older, big, heavy sedans like Cadillacs, Packards, Lincolns, etc....as they had heavy frames, large engines and could be fitted with rudimentary hoists, winches, etc.

This was before the collector car hobby was in full swing. 🙂

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
O that Dodge Power Wagon . . . What a brute in the woods come time to load firewood
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like 6 Rams, 6 GM/Chevy, and 6 Fords to me. So that would be a three way tie.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
What no PSD's :W

with a Cummin's 5.9
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin