cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Annoying converter.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Magnatec 6300 Q but I know this is common problem with RV converters.
THEY HUM
So far we camp without hookups, so that was not a problem, but I plan to go part-timing this season and for night I had to turn the converter off at the breaker, or we could not sleep with the noise.
That is not easy as converter has lock with slot for a screwdriver.
Than it seems to overcharge the batteries. The digital display at the counter shows 14.3V. Don't know if the display is part of converter, or add-on but I notice the display having reading error as well.
The converter seems to be build into cabinet and unless there is a trick, I can't pull it out without cutting something.
I wonder if someone found a way to upgrade the converter part, while leaving the fuse panels with old box?
I guess I could install new converter in the space behind old one and just cut off the wires to old one, but what are the chances new converter will be perfectly quiet?
EDIT
heck, should google it first.
Somebody already did it
but that looks like lot of work. Anybody found easier solution?
Forgot one more annoyment.
When I was recharging batteries with generator, could not figure out why it took such a long time. But checking out the voltage I found that with high charging current the converter goes into automatic overload, meaning generator running for nothing.
16 REPLIES 16

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I did the PD9260 conversation to my Magnetek a few years ago. I also followed the same instructions on your link. I think PD also has a plug and play converter that is easer to install but it costs a little more.
It only took me a few hours; I already had all of the required tools and skill to use them. It works great and I never have heard the fan come on.
My old Magnetek converter section always boiled the battery and later on it started to have a parasitic draw on the battery when unplugged.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine''s quiet, so I'd swap your''s out.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member