cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another beginner question

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
I finally was able to open the awning on our TT after fixing everything else wrong with it. Can someone tell me what the black plastic parts are for? I circled one to help you see what I'm talking about. That clip swings out. The other clip has a screw knob but I can't guess what it's for.

14 REPLIES 14

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
I saw clear duct tape on Amazon. Might try a roll.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
For those little pinholes, you can also purchase clear awning tape (think clear duct tape) to repair rips, holes, etc. in your awning. I have never used it, but a friend has his entire awning covered with the stuff and it is still holding together even though it's in excess of 20 years old and LOOKS it!!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
That's it. Thanks again.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Actually i think it is the travel latch.

I'm pretty sure it's a Carefree awning, and if so, their travel latch looks like the one below. But I'd add that not all Carefrees have such a latch...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
Great tip, thanks.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Cantdrive55 wrote:
the fabric closest to the TT when the awning is rolled up has little pinholes in it from where it sat closed for years.

That kind of damage is really common- UV radiation eats the last wrap, while the rest of the fabric remains protected/undamaged.

Keep an eye on that part- it'll be vulnerable to tearing. But if it does, here's a tip from Camp Cheapskate:

Don't toss/replace the fabric- just remove that last crispy foot or so, restitch a channel for the spline, and reinstall. You'll never notice the few inches of difference in extended length and save yourself a bundle.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually i think it is the travel latch.

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I'm an awning expert now. The awning probably hasn't been extended in 10 years so I was amazed that it actually looked pretty decent. The strap to pull it down is gone, but i can make do without it. Only issues I can see are the bard need a little lubrication to keep them moving smoothly ans the fabric closest to the TT when the awning is rolled up has little pinholes in it from where it sat closed for years.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
mhardin wrote:
It is a deflapper.

Yup- Carefree calls them canopy clamps. Here's one that looks just like the O.P.'s except for color

Source

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Those lock the bars together when the awning is rolled up.

Awning 101

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
Think we were both typing at same time, mhardin. Thanks!

Cantdrive55
Explorer
Explorer
OK.. I finally realized that I did not have the support arms all the way extended to the outer edge of the awning. One I extended them all the way, those clips must be to hold the awning from flapping. That just leaves the clips that are circled in red. Still can't figure out what those are for.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
It is a deflapper. The bars you have at 45 degree angles should be moved out to the end of the main support bars so to be parallel with the canvas. Then, you can open the black deflapper, put the canvas inside and tighten it down.

Look at the awnings here to see how the awning should be deployed.Better yet, look HERE for instructions.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Cantdrive55 wrote:
I finally was able to open the awning on our TT after fixing everything else wrong with it. Can someone tell me what the black plastic parts are for? I circled one to help you see what I'm talking about. That clip swings out. The other clip has a screw knob but I can't guess what it's for.

After you close/roll up your awning, the little black handle like device is moved so that you can use the wheel to tighten up the awning to prevent the awing from opening up as you are driving down the road. Important to remember:)