Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Fridge Question

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks

I have a 4 cu ft fridge. I keep it on the porch for beers and juice boxes etc.

We frequent a campground where the pedestal only has a 30 amp plug. No 15 amp.

Will it hurt to plug this thing into my 15 amp plug on the outside of the trailer. What if the AC is running too? I cant find how much amps/volts this thing pulls.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the opinions.

Fridge Like This One.
5 REPLIES 5

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Most if not all 30amp breaker boxes on the pole also have a 20amp. Run an extension cord just for the ref to the 20 amp.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Great replies folks. Much appreciated. I've learned the hard way well not too hard just tripping breakers. Like when the electric water heater is on the AC and I fire up the microwave all at the same time. Now I'll move the ac over to fan while running the microwave or coffee pot.

But thanks again. Just want to make sure the AC and the fridge at the same time wont have too much draw. That's all that we use.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
No problem plugging the fridge directly into the 30 amp service, with the right plug adapters, of course. Should also be no problem plugging it into the 15 amp plug on your trailer, which is then plugged into the 30 amp service.

Both that small fridge and the RV's AC unit will pull something like 12 to 14 amps when the compressor first starts, for maybe 2 or 3 seconds. Otherwise, they will only draw around 5 or 6 amps while running.

Since the compressor startup only happens for a few seconds every 5 to 60 minutes, but sorta randomly, the odds of both kicking on at once are slim. However, do be aware that although unlikely, it is possible, and for that 2 or 3 seconds, there won't be much capacity for running much of anything else in the RV. End result, at worst, you might have to go reset the breaker. Expect to have to do THAT once every couple years or so. And if/when it does happen, remember to unplug the fridge before you reset the breaker so that both AC & fridge don't try to come on at the same time when power is restored. Remember to plug the fridge back in on your way back into the RV.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same frig and plug it into my outside outlet all the time for extra pop/beer and milk etc. I run the air or whatever with it and have never had an issue with it. It doesn't draw enough to bother anything plugged in.

Never tripped the breaker either unlike my Dewalt air compressor.:o
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small dorm fridge and most compressors in this range are similar. Mine draws about 6 amps to overcome the locked rotor draw and running, draws 80w.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton