cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Keystone leak

triple602
Explorer
Explorer
Posting for a non-computer using friend with a 2013 Outback.

It appears that the cut-out for the front basement storage door was made too big - you can see into the compartment via a gap between the door mounting flange and the sidewall of the trailer.

The dealer attempted to fix by ordering and installing a new door. Shockingly the new door had the same dimensions as the original and didn't fix the leak.

My friend is at his wits end. Before he pushes it off a cliff or torches it in front of the Keystone factory, does anyone have suggestions, besides just gooping 3 tubes of caulk, on how we might fill this gap??

Mike
5 REPLIES 5

triple602
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the feedback. Will look into next bigger size door - disappointed we didn't think of that one on our own.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, just install a new over-sized door.

Look at the Challengerdoor.com website. They are an OEM supplier to RV manufacturers. Their website has an order form for each of the different door types. You can order any size and they have lots of options.

This might actually have a silver lining to it. Many storage compartment doors could be much larger and would make getting larger items like BBQs in and out much easier. If you can enlarge the opening without issues, I'd go for a bigger door.

For 2014, KZ enlarged the pass-through door in our Spree model and now we can put the BBQ in sideways whereas before they had to go in end to end. Big improvement.

ripperoo
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Maybe, they could do a little cutting, and install a larger door.

Bingo! That's what they did on my 2011 Keystone Sprinter. It was the larger back storage door, that opened into the bunk area.
2012 Ford F250 Super Duty, SC 4x4 XLT, 6.2L, 3.73 gears
2011 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe, they could do a little cutting, and install a larger door.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar issue. We also have a keystone. Keystone also went through several doors with no successful result. Luckily the trailer was still under warranty and we said that we would not accept it until it was fixed. Anyways, the dealer came up with a solution (we also thought the same thing about caulk). They used a 2 - 3 inch rubber seal that went all the way around the inside of the storage door. That solved the problem and it looked very nice. It was a rubber seal that had a lip for the door and wall to fit into.