Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Water Question

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I'm parked and hooked up to city water. For some reason, my Fresh Water tank is filling.

It has a whole separate fill inlet so I know its not a matter of me hooking up to the wrong one. It fills slowly over days.

My RV is a 2012 Crossroads Zinger 27RL. It does not have any sort of switching to tell the system which water source to pull from. With the exception of, you can turn the 12v water pump on or off.

I've looked through he plumbing cabinet and it all looks "stock" to me.

I tried reducing the water pressure to the trailer by about 2/3 and that helped but only slowed the fill rate of the fresh tank.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could be causing this & how to fix?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris.
11 REPLIES 11

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have a strainer between the pump and tank you should go ahead and add one now while servicing/replacing the pump.

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a ton guys. This takes a load off my mind.

Chris.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If use doesn't clear the valve, I'd replace the pump, as cost of dealer service would be as much, or more than a $70?? pump. You could use the old pump to transfer water from a container, into fresh tank, when needed.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it leaks, it's probably because it injested a piece of plastic that was in the tank.
You can take the head off the pump and rinse all the parts under water. Then reassemble - it's really very easy.
I have fixed several of them this way.

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
I'll start by running it for a few days to see if that solves the problem. It didn't leak for weeks after getting the RV so I'm hopeful use fixes it.

If it doesn't, where does one have these serviced or do I replace the pump?

If it helps, I'm in Tucson, AZ.

Chris.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
chrisp222 wrote:
Is there a chance the check valve is built into the pump or would it be inline?

Its pretty tight in the cabinet, and it's all pex so adding a check valve may be challenging.

Removing the pump looks easy enough. (Just fiddly/annoying)

Chris.

Your problem is most likely the built in check valve in the pump. They are known to leak, allow water to flow to tank. You could, but probably don't have an after pump in line check valve installed.

Jerry

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
chrisp222 wrote:

Its pretty tight in the cabinet, and it's all pex so adding a check valve may be challenging.

Chris.

Mine did the same thing as yours

On mine it was built into the pump.
It went bad under warrantee, and Forest River gave me a new pump. They said it was easier for them instead of redoing the pump.
Replacing the pump is a simple job, (if you can get to it)

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer

Chris.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Both good answers. Yes, run the pump for a while, as it may clear the check valve. If not, disassembly/replacement may be required. You can also install a separate in line check valve, to keep city water from going to pump/tank.

Jerry

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, just running the pump will flush out any crud that may have gotten into the check valve.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
The check valve on the water pump is leaking. Pretty easy to replace.