cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anticipation and a year to wait.....

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
My son proposed to his girl friend this weekend and told us they plan to get married on August 19th of next year. We're exciting and committed to attending the wedding (who wouldn't be?) however, they live in Northern BC which is about 900 miles from us so we sat down and did some math. Air fare, hotels, rental cars etc, driving a car, hotels, food etc VS the option we like better, taking the truck and camper.

After all the math it will be cheaper, as pretty much always, to take the camper ๐Ÿ˜„

I then sat down and began looking at some options and came up with a tentative plan that will likely go through some changes over the course of the next year but at least at this point I have a preliminary trip planned:

1 - Home
2 - Stemwinder Provincial Park
3 - Ten Mile Lake Provincial Park
4 - Chetwynd where my son lives
5 - The old Homestead
6 - Ten Mile Lake -- this may change
7 - Knox Mountain -- there used to be a camp ground here when I was a kid
8 - Home again

Once I sat down and planned this out the anticipation began to grow! It's sorta crazy really because I have not considered making this drive previously; it's just so darn far! I used to drive 1000 miles in a day, no problem but these days, in my 50's, I just don't like driving more than 200-300 miles in a day.

Our last trip was about 1200 miles and we drove the first stretch in two days (~300 miles per day) and it was no problem really but the return we did in one day and that 600 miles was a bear and beat me up pretty well. Thank god we had the camper and could pull over and relax, even lay back and rest a little when we wanted.

So, this trip we're planning will be much different. For one, I grew up in BC and lived all over the province so a couple stops will be in order. One, Vanderhoof where we homesteaded a quarter section in 1967 to 1969. I want to go by and see if we can find the old place just to see it. It's been a LONG time. I'd also like to go to Knox Mountain in Kalowna where I used to skip school and go dream of racing as a 6 and 7 year old.

Other than that I just want to see the province (burned or not) where there is so much beauty, and just soak it in. We're thinking we'll take 3 days on the return trip but are actually pondering 4. So, if anyone has good places to camp south of Prince George, maybe North of Hixon and perhaps somewhere around 70 mile house I'd be interested as we may break the trip up a little more than shown here.

Anyway, the anticipation is killing me (which sounds kinda bad since you'd think the wedding would do that but honestly, I'm a guy and while I am excited for my son and his betrothed, I know the wedding will be just one days event to attend with perhaps a day or two of visiting around it but the drive will be an adventure of a lifetime for us -- while he embarks on his lifetime marriage adventure) ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, just wanted to share.
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
26 REPLIES 26

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

Part of this trip is a bit of a pilgrimage to Vanderhoof where we homesteaded back in 1967. We actually lived in an old A-Frame turkey coop my dad converted into a cabin and I have some basic memories of a new addition over the well (so we had running water in the kitchen -- running as long as you pumped) and a nice chicken coop dad and a friend build.

I've contacted just about everyone I can think of in hopes of finding someone who knew a neighbor or us in those days (long shot I know) and hope to find the old place. It's about an hour out of the way to travel to, but I think worth the extra distance!
2019 AF990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, have fun....not that anyone needs to tell you that. Sounds like a great trip.
Pleas post a pic of a lunker or 2 that you catch. You can pose in front of the camper if it seems more relevant, lol.
Drive safe!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm dragging up an old post ๐Ÿ˜„ a year old post in fact, but it's time (or darn near) and I'm getting pretty stoked!

First, the truck is now a Dually (2019 Lariat F350 FX4 CC PS LB etc etc) and awesome (a recent 1150 mile round trip 'shake down cruise' helped me see the light in spades! No more SRW for me! EVER!! Not with a camper!).....

So here we are ready to hit the road. Plans are made with 320-400 miles per day and destinations booked. We'll head to Monck Provincial Park for the first night and get there early enough to enjoy the driveand the campsite too. The next day we head to Barkerville, a place I have wanted to visit for more than 40 years ๐Ÿ˜„ Can't wait to tick that box on my list (a list I don't really have)....then we'll head to Vanderhoof where it all began for my family in 1967 when we homesteaded a quarter section not far off Sinkut lake.

After Vanderhoof we'll head to Chetwynd and where my son lives. He's getting married and I'm told we're going to do a lot of fishing before the wedding (oh darn)....

After the wedding we'll leave the newly weds and head home with stops Lac La Hache and Okanogan Lake (campgrounds) and maybe even stop into Kalowna to see Knox Mountain where Dad raced in the 70's ๐Ÿ˜„

After about 2000 miles we'll be back home in time for a Jazz Party in our backyard ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya, it's time to enjoy a couple weeks!

The camper is mostly packed and we even filled the water ALL the way! Never done that before but we want to be able to have showers etc. So it's full tanks and "fair winds and following seas" for us real soon ๐Ÿ˜„

Cheers
2019 AF990

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
When we do road trips they are very free form. Kind of like sailing where you plan a direction and then see how far you really get. Then choose where to drop anchor vs. power boating with fixed destinations.

When traveling in BC and AB we use the Backroad Map Books to find and navigate to the smaller recreation sites. They have a GPS based digital version as well. So when we get tired, we look around to see what's available and stop. They also show what is crown land, if you just want to boondock.

The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations BC also has a Recreation Sites and Trails on-line site giving details about the over one thousand provincial recreation sites.

The Provincial Parks online site gives similar details for these.

BC Hydro has recreation sites where you can stay as well. Going to the specific site gives you directions as well as a google map. Placing your cursor on the site and right clicking will bring up a menu. Clicking on 'Whats Here' will display the GPS coordinates for easier off-line navigation to the site.

Below are images from my mapping program of the BC Recreation Sites for Hixon / Vanderhoof and 70 Mile House. They were kind enough to send me the shape file, which I used to get the GPS coordinates to load into my PC based naviagtion system. Yellow pins are the designation that an RV (2WD Class B or C) could travel that road, Green Pins means cars should be able to travel the road to access the site and Dark Blue means high ground clearance 4WD vehicles (aka truck campers) should be able to access the site. The number afterwards is the number of sites (fire ring and or a table), 0 means just a parking spot.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
emcvay wrote:
he drive took about 10hrs from here. Not a bad drive really, back then, but I'm a tad older today (amazing what 13 years can do really) and would want to do the drive in 3 or so.

Dang you make 50's sound ancient. You're young yet enjoy it as such
Hold on their buddy,not so fast ! When I retired (On the job injury) my Dentist told me "It's the go-go sixties,the slo-go seventies, and the no-go eighties. Enjoy planning the trip and the joyful day.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Ya I've got arthritis, have had tendinitis since 85, broken pelvis in 4 places 8 yrs ago when I was pinned between a truck and a wall and triple bypass 6 yrs ago. I know about slowing down a bit but I still tow 500 mi to 800 mi a day on my annual western runs with my car trailer, but that is traveling alone. With the TT or now 5th wheel my wife doesn't care to do those kind of days. For the record I'm 75.
I guess I should add I consider myself a throwback to my maternal grandfather. He was a bus driver and on his vacation he with grandma as a passenger would drive a 49 Studebaker from Kalamazoo Mi to Pasadena Ca in the 50's on old Rt 66 in 3 days. Grandma was always complaining how he never wanted to stop. LOL

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
a passport now comes with an additional "card" (few more bucks?) that works at boarders in Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda. This new card is also a "real ID" for domestic air travel but can't be used as a passport for international air travel.

Have passports and have lived in Canada previously for 20+ years ๐Ÿ˜‰ so am very aware of the rules. Didn't get the card but it was an option (like enhanced Drivers License). Passports work though.
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
emcvay wrote:
he drive took about 10hrs from here. Not a bad drive really, back then, but I'm a tad older today (amazing what 13 years can do really) and would want to do the drive in 3 or so.

As a Marine perhaps my years are just weighing more heavily on me ๐Ÿ˜‰ Arthritis, tendonitis, myalgias, you name it. But I don't give up! Just slow down more and allow the body to tell me when to quit rather than ignoring it ๐Ÿ™‚
2019 AF990

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
a passport now comes with an additional "card" (few more bucks?) that works at boarders in Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda. This new card is also a "real ID" for domestic air travel but can't be used as a passport for international air travel.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
emcvay wrote:

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would consider staying at BC Ski areas or BC camp grounds.

Have a backup plan in case of wild fires. That is the season for them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
SO I'm back to planning on this one and it looks like we'll leave early Saturday to start the trip (as opposed to the original plan of leaving on a Wednesday night) and will drive about 8hrs on day one, then about 6 or so on day two and finish in Chetwynd after a short 2 hours stint. Then we'll spend a week in Chetwynd for the wedding and leave the following Monday with a week to get home. I was planning a 4 day return trip and am trying to work on places to camp on the way back. At present I'm looking at Barkerville but beyond that I'm not sure.

Day one should end at Lac Le Jeune I am thinking.
Day two perhaps at Crooked River above Prince George (or somewhere nearby)
Then after our stay Barkerville will be the first stop but after that I'm not sure....any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the drive up to Banf as it's would be a round about way back to the Okanogan. We're thinking Barkerville would be fun since I've heard about it since I was a kid, beyond that I'm not too sure but we'll get it sorted over the next 11 months ๐Ÿ˜„

Meanwhile, we're headed to the Island next month with the camper so we have that to enjoy and some camping closer to home to do still this year.
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I would travel long and slow. I have been to Moses Lake. Practically anywhere is better.

hahaha hey now! We actually like Moses Lake ๐Ÿ˜‰ But not for the scenery ๐Ÿ˜‰ Though the lake is nice to go boating on when the sky isn't full of smoke from all the fires.
2019 AF990