cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anticipation and a year to wait.....

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
My son proposed to his girl friend this weekend and told us they plan to get married on August 19th of next year. We're exciting and committed to attending the wedding (who wouldn't be?) however, they live in Northern BC which is about 900 miles from us so we sat down and did some math. Air fare, hotels, rental cars etc, driving a car, hotels, food etc VS the option we like better, taking the truck and camper.

After all the math it will be cheaper, as pretty much always, to take the camper ๐Ÿ˜„

I then sat down and began looking at some options and came up with a tentative plan that will likely go through some changes over the course of the next year but at least at this point I have a preliminary trip planned:

1 - Home
2 - Stemwinder Provincial Park
3 - Ten Mile Lake Provincial Park
4 - Chetwynd where my son lives
5 - The old Homestead
6 - Ten Mile Lake -- this may change
7 - Knox Mountain -- there used to be a camp ground here when I was a kid
8 - Home again

Once I sat down and planned this out the anticipation began to grow! It's sorta crazy really because I have not considered making this drive previously; it's just so darn far! I used to drive 1000 miles in a day, no problem but these days, in my 50's, I just don't like driving more than 200-300 miles in a day.

Our last trip was about 1200 miles and we drove the first stretch in two days (~300 miles per day) and it was no problem really but the return we did in one day and that 600 miles was a bear and beat me up pretty well. Thank god we had the camper and could pull over and relax, even lay back and rest a little when we wanted.

So, this trip we're planning will be much different. For one, I grew up in BC and lived all over the province so a couple stops will be in order. One, Vanderhoof where we homesteaded a quarter section in 1967 to 1969. I want to go by and see if we can find the old place just to see it. It's been a LONG time. I'd also like to go to Knox Mountain in Kalowna where I used to skip school and go dream of racing as a 6 and 7 year old.

Other than that I just want to see the province (burned or not) where there is so much beauty, and just soak it in. We're thinking we'll take 3 days on the return trip but are actually pondering 4. So, if anyone has good places to camp south of Prince George, maybe North of Hixon and perhaps somewhere around 70 mile house I'd be interested as we may break the trip up a little more than shown here.

Anyway, the anticipation is killing me (which sounds kinda bad since you'd think the wedding would do that but honestly, I'm a guy and while I am excited for my son and his betrothed, I know the wedding will be just one days event to attend with perhaps a day or two of visiting around it but the drive will be an adventure of a lifetime for us -- while he embarks on his lifetime marriage adventure) ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, just wanted to share.
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
26 REPLIES 26

realter
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I would travel long and slow. I have been to Moses Lake. Practically anywhere is better.

Except New York!!

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with all the areas but If you took the other road from Kamloops towards Clearwater you could check out Wells Gray park if you like waterfalls.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
Is there any way you can tack on some time for the Banff/Jasper area? The Icefields Parkway is a world class drive

Ditto. I was going to suggest the same thing.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would travel long and slow. I have been to Moses Lake. Practically anywhere is better.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any way you can tack on some time for the Banff/Jasper area? The Icefields Parkway is a world class drive.

Congratulations, and have fun!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have the enhanced DL but since I picked up my passport a few years back decided not to renew the enhanced (why pay the extra I thought).

But yes, you either need a passport or the enhanced DL

I've thought about taking a different route back, perhaps via Edmonton since I have a highschool buddy that lives there. We went there back in 2005 to visit him and I think the drive took about 10hrs from here. Not a bad drive really, back then, but I'm a tad older today (amazing what 13 years can do really) and would want to do the drive in 3 or so. Sure would be nice to visit Fernie again though ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Washington state has what is called enhansed drivers license. It does not replace, but allows holders to travel back and forth without a passport. Others need a passport.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Kewl, I have a trip planned around there too, going up Vancouver IS and then over from Powell River.

As we "Ripen"?? heheh, with old age, the travel times shorten. I usually plan apx 3-4 hrs driving and then land at a spot.

Since you're up in that area, you might as well make an adventure out of it and take your time, I mean seriously, what's the rush.. plan 5 days up 3 days there and 5 days on another route, like a loop...

It's what it's all about.. LOL, but might NOT be cheaper (fuel) than flying, but certainly a heck of a lot more fun.

Creating Memories,
It's the only thing they can't take away...

Sounds like fun, safe 'Planning', heheh that's half the fun too...

cheers..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need a passport to cross over the border??

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canโ€™t remember anyone posting a map as you did...clear, informative. Truly worth a thousand words.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great adventure. Take lots of pictures.
Enjoy the trip, it will be here sooner than you think.
Keep us updated.

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a really fun trip and beautiful as well.
2000 Minnie 31C V10