cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas on how to get my TT from Wisconsin to Florida?

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I have pulled a teardrop and a 1975 13' Shasta behind my 1992 GMC G2500 V8 with no problem. But I bought a used 1996 Wildwood click here and I was having a hard time with the pedal to the medal keeping it at 55 mph. I turned back. So now I either sell it or is there some kinds of services will drive it down without charging an arm and a leg?
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion
58 REPLIES 58

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
There are no backhauls. It's called a haul. Where do people get backhaul from. I had a trucking business and we hauled to Seattle and then hauled to Baltimore. Same rate both ways. Yellow, Roadway and UPS all charge you $25 to send a pkg to California and if you send it back it's still $25 more, not $20. Go figure.

I think people call it a back haul because if you haul to one place and they give you something to "haul back" hence the term back haul. and some places have trailers or load to take back to their origin, again "back haul".
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
There are no backhauls. It's called a haul. Where do people get backhaul from. I had a trucking business and we hauled to Seattle and then hauled to Baltimore. Same rate both ways. Yellow, Roadway and UPS all charge you $25 to send a pkg to California and if you send it back it's still $25 more, not $20. Go figure.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick 641 wrote:
jmaotto wrote:
It is always best when towing a heavy load to NOT tow in OD. The transmission will run cooler and less strain on the engine.
X2

Actually its just the opposite. the trans will run cooler when in O/D and the converter is locked. with a heavy enough load in 3rd gear the converter may stay unlocked and the trans will run hotter due to the torque converter slippage. this all goes back to having the proper gears for towing. 4.10`s would have him towing at 65mph+ and getting better mileage in 4th gear with no strain!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

westend
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
OK, so I am now in Alabama. I drive between 55 and 60 mph. I dont hear anything straining. The flat route has been very good. Definitely getting out of OD was essential. I use 2nd gear to get up to speed on on ramps. I think I am getting something like 6 mpg. Sheesh. Thanks to everyone.

ps. I actually passed another smaller van hauling an even bigger trailer.. LOL. Not passed anyone else.
Good thing gas is cheap and you're getting to your destination OK.

Enjoy the slower, less strainful ride!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
OK, so I am now in Alabama. I drive between 55 and 60 mph. I dont hear anything straining. The flat route has been very good. Definitely getting out of OD was essential. I use 2nd gear to get up to speed on on ramps. I think I am getting something like 6 mpg. Sheesh. Thanks to everyone.

ps. I actually passed another smaller van hauling an even bigger trailer.. LOL. Not passed anyone else.

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
jmaotto wrote:
It is always best when towing a heavy load to NOT tow in OD. The transmission will run cooler and less strain on the engine.
X2

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Thinking about it, if it goes fine when you touch the gas pedal when it's in cruise it may be as simple as a vacuum leak to the cruise servo, or the servo itself is weak.

I have long had an issue with the cruise but my former mechanic couldnt seem to fix or even get the parts to just replace it. When I get back in April I will have him take a look. Thanks.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok. No nothing wrong with that! Actually now that I think about my Excursion has the same issue. It has a weak (by design or bad programming) cruise control. It will drop a lot of speed before the cruise kicks in and by then it needs to downshift to pick up that speed again. So if it's doing fine In regular Drive then you will be OK. I don't know if you said what it is or not, but you probably have 3.42 gears which is why it doesn't do well in O/D with the trailer attached.

Thinking about it, if it goes fine when you touch the gas pedal when it's in cruise it may be as simple as a vacuum leak to the cruise servo, or the servo itself is weak. With no trailer the engine has enough vacuum to operate the cruise. With the trailer attached and being under a load vacuum will be less which may be why your having the issue only when the trailer is hooked up!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
It's odd that the van will hold O/D at full throttle! It should drop out of O/D around 3/4 throttle under a load. You may want to have the throttle valve cable (throttle body to trans) inspected and maybe adjusted. This cable adjusts transmission fluid pressure and shift rpm! If it's out of adjustment it can potentially damage your newly rebuilt trans.

It is in cruise that the speed starts declining. If I just tap the accelerator then speed picks up. There isnt anything wrong with just driving in regular drive instead of overdrive, right?

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Timtation wrote:
Try putting the pedal to the metal rather than the medal. Could make all the difference needed.

Well I put my gunnel bobbing medal down there as something to aim for... LOL.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's odd that the van will hold O/D at full throttle! It should drop out of O/D around 3/4 throttle under a load. You may want to have the throttle valve cable (throttle body to trans) inspected and maybe adjusted. This cable adjusts transmission fluid pressure and shift rpm! If it's out of adjustment it can potentially damage your newly rebuilt trans.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I read everything I could on WD systems but then had it checked at an RV/trailer place who said it was good.

I now have a transmission cooler. They installed it when they fixed my transmission.

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Try putting the pedal to the metal rather than the medal. Could make all the difference needed.