cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any opinions on Dutchmen TT's

phishheadmi
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm considering buying a 2009 Dutchmen 26B-DSL. Is anyone familiar with this particular TT or Dutchmen TT's in general? Of course I'll do a thorough inspection before purchase, just wondering if there's anything in particular I should watch out for...any known problems, design issues or areas of concern? Any comments or considerations one way or the other on Dutchmen?
16 REPLIES 16

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure it operates smoothly across the entire range of travel in and out with no unusual sounds. Clunks, bangs, and cat-like sounds are bad. With the slide in, inspect the seals on the inside of the slide to ensure they are in good shape. Ensure the outside seals mate up completely on the outside of the unit (you're going to need a ladder). With the slide out, check the exposed seals for condition and check the other set to ensure they mate up completely.
With the slide out, check the floor for softness or other signs of water damage. Also check the header for any signs of water damage.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

phishheadmi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input everyone. I've seen a lot of photos that look good, and the owner has answered all my questions. I'm hoping to drive up to inspect/buy the camper this Saturday. I'm making a new post about this, but maybe someone here can answer as well. I'm pretty familiar with what to look for in the TT with most everything except the slide. I've never owned a TT with a slide before, what do I want to watch out for? What do I want to inspect closely?

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Kodiak 241 rbsl with max air I put a 15k ac after learning of what a 13.5 does have 7 warranty calms in year 1 nothing major just minor hiccups the first 3 made it a better 1 was sealing the slide and learned how to put it on electric witch save gas we bought in troy have it serviced in Batavia better service and closer to our storage got a 50โ€™ never kink hose when they took a bm in it they fired the guy in three weeks after I got it but after loosening a finger 1 year ago this is much safer and I love it

DarylSue
Explorer
Explorer
Daryl/Sue, part time kids and 2 GC

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 4x4
w/HD tow pkg.
Voyager BC
Reese Dual Cam/WD

UncleDonald
Explorer
Explorer
Own a Dutchmen Aerolite. Nothing but trouble. Getting rid of it as fast as I can.. Bought it from Camping World in Colorado Springs which was also a mistake.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

brockwellw
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2008 29QS and have not had any problems. Bought it new. I have no problems . Just do matinance and take care of it and it will be fine. Yes it is not as nice on the inside as some but it has served us well.

Yellermanx
Explorer
Explorer
About a year ago we traded our Fuzion for a Dutchmen (Victory Lane) toy hauler. Eequal quality with less flash.

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my first TT around two weeks ago, a 2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f. I think It is a great trailer, does the same job the more expensive ones do.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

md2lgyk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchmen is sort've an entry-level brand. There's nothing wrong with that, just don't expect the fanciest model appliances or cabinetmaker fit and finish. That's why the price is lower. That said, our first TT was a 2007 Dutchmen 29QGS. We towed it around 9,000 miles and lived in it full time for nearly three years while building our house. Never really had any problem with it other than the cheap Chinese tires that came on it.
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 94 Classic 31' for 18 yrs. All of the appliances were original and still worked great. The fridge thermocouple was a oddball that had to be ordered, I just kept an extra on hand. This was the biggest concern, had to replace it maybe 5 times. Having to order it made it more memorable. I think I had 2 extras with it when we sold it.

We did basic maintenance and up keep items. We would make a list of items we wanted to fix or modify every time we went out. I would try to go through the list before the next outing. It gave us a lot of dependable service. Worst thing I remember was hitting my head on the slide out header.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been very satisfied with the TT in my signature ever since we bought it new.
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

Mona4
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2010 Freedom Spirit TT. Made by Dutchman. Had serious problems with lippert axles. Repair was done as part of warranty you may want to check on the wear of your tires . Search lippert axles you will find many issues with this type of TT.
Sold it, now own a Jayco. Better pulling experience big difference.

knesdad
Explorer
Explorer
Love the one in my sig...
Dave & Sue
Kiley & Emily
Izzie (Beagle/Bichon/Mini Poodle)
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
2012 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL -- Dutchmen Owners