Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Regrets Flipping Axles?

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am about to flip my axles for more ground clearance.TT

Have you done yours and regretted doing it, if so why?

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba
28 REPLIES 28

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to start on the project in 2 weeks!
Clandeboye , Manitoba

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Huntindog, what steps did you take to prevent over-extending (compressing?) of the suspension?

I'd like to flip my axle, as my little trailer is really low slung, but I'm concerned about having the leaf compress too far when it has more room to travel. Right now it just bottoms out on the frame if I hit a particularly bad bump.
Put bump stops on it. Just like how cars do it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

sherpaxc
Explorer
Explorer
where do you get this done at? Can an rv dealership do it or do I take it to a local autoshop? I'm not doing it myself as I lack the time and skill.
08 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
I reposition axles under 3 of my trailers. No regrets at all.

Although, I did have to bring/use a portable step - to ensure bottom step gap wasn't a surprise. Especially before we had our morning coffee. (LOL!).

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
No regrets -- it was necessary to avoid dragging on steep driveways. Also, we tow the trailer on very rocky roads -- we needed the clearance.

But you will have increased wind resistance, and you will have a higher center of gravity. So I think there is greater risk of an accident during high speed swerving. (Try to avoid that.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Life is a series of compromises.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the axles flipped on my 1st TT, no issues whatsoever and eliminated the back end dragging. Trail-explorer is correct in terminology but people use the phrase flipped.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I had our old trailer done with no issues and many thousands of miles. The new one came that way from the factory. No regrets only issue was the steps as previously mentioned on the one we had done. The new one the steps were correct since it came that way.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
The correct term is "spring over axle" conversion, not "flipping" the axles.

The axle is not "flipped" to give more ground clearance, it is moved from above the springs to below the springs.
Bob

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2006 Nash 26X TT had the axles flipped before I bought it and every thing works fine. I've never dragged it and the 16" tires fit without a problem. I did have to get a different shank to raise up the hitch to keep the trailer level.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Right now it just bottoms out on the frame if I hit a particularly bad bump.

Could I ask (for clarification), what hits the frame? Is it the top of the axle? "Flipping" axles is just the process of moving the axle from on top of the leaf spring and relocating it below the leaf spring. The springs will behave exactly as before. If yours is bottoming out, perhaps you need a heavier spring? And make sure you aren't overloading the springs (and axles)? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious or have missed your point. When I relocated my axles there was no difference in spring performance.

Steve

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We did it on our 2015 Sunline. No problems afterwards and it sure helped with dragging issues.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
My former Fleetwood was just to low. I hit the gas station aprons pulling out and dragged on the sand when beach camping. Never had an issue.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog, what steps did you take to prevent over-extending (compressing?) of the suspension?

I'd like to flip my axle, as my little trailer is really low slung, but I'm concerned about having the leaf compress too far when it has more room to travel. Right now it just bottoms out on the frame if I hit a particularly bad bump.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MACHZER wrote:
Hello,

I am about to flip my axles for more ground clearance.TT

Have you done yours and regretted doing it, if so why?

Thanks
I have done all 3 of my TTs. Absolutely no regrets.

The only downsides I have noticed:
The steps are higher. Easily remedied.
A loss of about 1 MPG. Easily remedied as well. It just costs a little more.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW