cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any words of wisdom?

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
Sold our 2000 Lance 1030 camper after owning it almost 12 yrs. Was a great rig.
Now looking at something larger as we're becoming more senior.

We are now looking at a Nash 23D with the Sit'Sleep option(Murphy bed)
which would provide extra day time seating.

Would like to hear opinions from anyone with experience with this option.

thanks!
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,
2016 Nash 23D with Cummins/Onan onboard generator & Sit'n Sleep option
11 REPLIES 11

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions/observations. Still in the decision making process but leaning heavily toward the Nash 23D without the Sit'n Sleep option. Talked to someone at Northwood who said there isn't much demand for it. Unable to find anyone who's had experience with it (which was the reason for my original post). One of the reasons for choosing the 23D is the optional (but expensive) generator pkg.
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,
2016 Nash 23D with Cummins/Onan onboard generator & Sit'n Sleep option

ritterjw
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Murphy bed in a Sunset Trail. It works great for us. The seating is very comfortable. When it is down it makes a flat base and we have a hinged 9" foam mattress which folds out. Just as good as the home mattress.
It makes our 24ft trailer seem a lot bigger with a couch for seating.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do decide to purchase it and if you find out how it works let us know. It looks like a nice option to me but, I'm not sure how it works.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Northwoood Arctic Fox and love it. Built like a battleship and pulls like a sled. I would buy a Scandanavian sleep sofa. It's like a fold out Futon but comfortable to set on. We replaced out mattress with a Sleepys Bamboo Queen size. Solid Comfy and durable tho a little less room to walk around but I don't sleep walk anyway.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some YouTube videos of TT's with Murphy beds. The concept looks very interesting. But the thought of having to pick-up everything so make the space usable for a second purpose would probably drive me nuts after awhile. Kind of like converting the dinnette to a bed and back again every day. BUT.... I've always been a believer is multi-tasking camping equipment ... you know, a hatchet is used for chopping fire wood, but the other end makes a good hammer. So why drag along a hammer if you have a hatchet? Well, this is definitely multi-tasking the same space. It could just work!

here's a video. Go into the video 4:00 minutes and 9:19 minutes:

Click here

Here's another one

7:45 minutes into the video click here.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our priorities were, a bed you can exit without crawling over your partner, a pantry, closet space, large bath, a slide you could retract and still use the TT and a floor plan we liked.

Your priorities will be different but they makde lots of TT models.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a born free with that bed and hated it, you,ve got a crack right down the middle. but it sat good made by flex steel.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

thanks!

I can't speak to the bed, but anything Northwood is considered well made in the industry. I doubt you would be disappointed.

They may be well made as far as the trailer construction goes but they still use cheap products that the rest of the industry does. Our NW had the booth dinette and rear jackknife sofa. Both were horribly made as far as cushions go. They used the cheapest foam possible.
Unless the sit n sleep is made for comfort as opposed to function then I highly doubt it's comfortable enough to sit on for any length of time.
Before I ordered one I'd definitely want to sit on it for a long period of time.
Nash is at the bottom of the NW line and doesn't have the same features or quality of amenities that the AF line does.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a search in the Travel Trailer section for `murphy bed' and there are 34 posts; some of which may be applicable to your question.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

thanks!

I can't speak to the bed, but anything Northwood is considered well made in the industry. I doubt you would be disappointed.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

sunshdw
Explorer
Explorer
bighonkinf350 wrote:

thanks!

I have a 2013 23D but I don't have that option, can't say I've ever seen it.
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Bighorn
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB