cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone rig up a diesel generator?

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing how on many class B and others are offernig a diesel generator, anyone every rig one up for their TC? For sure it would be set up so that one could disconnect the fuel supply so removal of the camper an option. Figure a way to run off the trucks diesel tank?
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
17 REPLIES 17

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We have used many different marine diesel generators, all are very heavy, the bane of truck camper rigs. I am not familiar with any diesel models that would fit easily into the TC compartments generally found.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam, I sure like that idea of a dedicated separate diesel tank.
My old toyhauler had a 5.5kw onan with a dedicated gas tank, something like 40 gallon capacity. It sure was nice being able to pull up to the gas pump and refill.
My AF1150 came with the Onan, and so far no problems, and the propane can run it for a pretty fair amount of time, but it would be nice to have a 40 gallon tank under the truck, and with the Sterling 4500 dually, I've got lot's of room. Maybe next time.

Bedlam
When generators are run off motor home fuel tanks, there typically is a dedicated supply line in the fuel tank that sits higher than the one for the engine. This prevents you for running the tank to empty with the generator and then not being able to start the motor home.

I think it would be easier to have an auxiliary tank in the spare tire location that feeds the generator and truck while the main tank would remain dedicated for the truck. Marine style quick connect fuel fittings could be used between the truck and generator, but you may need an additional fuel pump if the rise or run of the fuel line is too long.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD