cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towed a 70"s 31ft Airstream?

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
If so what did you think? what kind of MPG you get towing? Would this be easier to tow than a fiver? Would it work for fulltiming? 31ft sovereign rear bath twins...

Thanks...
18 REPLIES 18

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Towing is about the same as towing anything else. Suitable for full timing? Not likely unless your used to the minimalist life. Theey have a mystique about them that just does not stand up to everyday life. Yea, they were built well, but still use the same appliances as every other RV brand on the market. The aerodynamic shape reduces storage to nearly nonexistant.

Not sure where these opinions come from, but having owned Airstream and conventional wood framed RV, I can tell you because of thoughtful design and engineering, I had more storage in a 25' Airstream than a 30' conventional RV.

Not sure what "They have a mystique about them that does not stand up to everyday life." means, but I can tell you I lived full time in my Airstream for many years quite successfully.

With all due respect, I bet donn0128 has never owned or even towed an Airstream.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
35 yrs ago a close friend had a 27 Airstream and I had a 24 Shasta.When we traveled together he got about 1 mpg better than I did.Both of us had 360 Ford trucks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The only problem I've seen people have is that they are too low to the ground and tend to scrape when entering or leaving places like gas stations.
Some folks have them raised a bit.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing is about the same as towing anything else. Suitable for full timing? Not likely unless your used to the minimalist life. Theey have a mystique about them that just does not stand up to everyday life. Yea, they were built well, but still use the same appliances as every other RV brand on the market. The aerodynamic shape reduces storage to nearly nonexistant.