cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Travel with bikes inside their TRailer?

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone Travel with bikes inside their TRailer?
I am not interested in a bike rack on the back of our TT. I was wandering if anyone just rolls their bikes into their trailer while traveling? I have not tried to fit the bikes in my 2150RB, but thinking of rapping them in a sheet and putting them in the trailer as we travel to our destination? Thanks for your thoughts. Other option is to put in the bed of the truck, but a short bed with limited space.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
23 REPLIES 23

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
ZINGERLITE wrote:
shum02 wrote:
Mine and my wife's bikes cost several thousands of dollars. Don't think I want them bouncing around on the back of the camper. If I don't have them in the TT I have enough room in the crew cab to also put them in the back seat depending on our trip.

I think thats the deciding factor. a couple of walmart $100 bikes on a harbor freight bike rack attached to the bumper is no big deal. (thats where im at). If they aren't there at the end of the trip its no big deal.

Expensive bikes are a different story.

Actually it is a big deal if one falls off and kills somebody on a motorcycle.
That aside, not bikes but it would work the same. I put my 10.5' kayak on the bed and ratchet strap it down. You could easily do the same with bikes. We put old towels down underneath the kayak.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
Mine and my wife's bikes cost several thousands of dollars. Don't think I want them bouncing around on the back of the camper. If I don't have them in the TT I have enough room in the crew cab to also put them in the back seat depending on our trip.

I think thats the deciding factor. a couple of walmart $100 bikes on a harbor freight bike rack attached to the bumper is no big deal. (thats where im at). If they aren't there at the end of the trip its no big deal.

Expensive bikes are a different story.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
many times. secure them and go
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

salem
Explorer
Explorer
We do. I secured them to the rear of the 5'er for several years although I never liked having something back there I couldn't see in the mirror. When the rack got old, we started just putting them inside. A little bit of a pain in the neck, but I feel safer.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I fold my dinette down like a bed and put them there. I have added fasteners and tie down points so they are secure.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We used to do that a lot but got real tired of them being in the way everytime we stopped. We just rolled them in and threw a blanket over them so they wouldn't scratch up the trailer.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the days having 5 bikes of various sizes and travelling in a GMC Safari as a TV. Occasionally we put a couple of bikes in the TT. We just laid them flat on the middle aisle and didn't bother wrapping them up. We survived.

My BIL, also a family of 5 with a minivan, had a better idea. He secured a piece of threaded rod span across the dinette seats with the table removed. He then used some nuts to fix the front forks of a couple of bikes for transportation.

I now have a short bed PU with a canopy. I built a bike rack with 2x4s to hold the rear wheel of the bikes. I can take up to 5 bikes to camp. It doesn't leave a lot of room for other toys. Luckily the nest are getting empty.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do sometimes but just for travel, not overnight. I use an inexpensive moving blanket from a Harbor Freight for a wrapper. And I built a tongue rack. ETrailer sells a hitch rack and it works ok too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad