cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone W/Experience Tinting Dometic (acrylic) Windows?

Cannon_George
Explorer
Explorer
I am exploring window tint films/screens for retro-fit application to existing Recreational Vehicle (RV) windows.

I live in Southern California. Clear windows. Lots of Sun. I want to diminish it.

In my case the windows are double-pane acrylic (manufactured by Dometic) and Heki skylights. I have been told placing any tint film on the interior surface can cause excessive heating and subsequent damage (cracking) to the windows, due to trapped heat inside the sealed interior space (I have no idea if this is a vacuum or air gap), of if this is true. I'm OK with placing films (or "micro-punch" screens) on the outside; but also understand it is likely to get damaged (tree branches, washing, etc.) so ideally would like to place removable/replaceable film/decal without permanent damage to the acrylic substrate.

Dometic had no advice for me.

Window tint professionals I speak to are reluctant to apply standard 3M tint films to the acrylic windows, (inside or out) worried about differential thermal expansion causing disbonding or inability to remove/repair in the future if applied to the outside. I'm OK with the idea of using the micro "Punch" film screens but haven't found anyone with actual experience using this on acrylic. (I've only seen this on the outside of busses).

Looking for any advice/actual experience!

This may get moved out of the TC forum but as usual I expect TC forum members are the most knowledgeable.
6 REPLIES 6

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
I sprayed my sky light with white Plasti Dip, it is easily applied/removed and non damaging, however its makes a window into wall as far as view-ability is concerned.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
George- any update?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Cannon_George
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 - Thanks for the referral, (Plexi film) I had never heard of this, will check this option out!

3M makes films for plastic (say, taillight covers) - but none of them that I've seen are "clear" and will badly distort the view.

D3500ram - interesting comment and yes, I would be willing to apply a "sacrificial" film over the outside of my windows knowing full well I would have to replace it when it become too scratched up - as long as I could safely remove it without using a razor blade and scratching the underlying plastic.

More to come, thank you!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't tint dual panes from the inside. I'd consider a spray assuming someone makes one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting question. As I have stated many time I am no fan of the Dometic or Heki foe the reasons of excessive heat damage as you state as well as many others. I agree that placing tint on the inside will retain heat- it would not be too much different from putting a physical piece of insulation or reflectex on the inside.

I had to replace one of my Dometic windows. It had the shipping film on the outside to help prevent scratches during transport. It is that standard plastic that we are familiar with for this type of protection. I left mine on to protect the window from scratches when off roading... it has held up pretty well!

...might it be possible to find out what this protective film is and find a similar product that is applied on the outside that is Dometic safe but only tinted?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Plexi window tinting film. made for use on plastics.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad