cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox offroad?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We currently have a RAM 3500 4x4 with a Livin lite truck camper, and we tow a Wrangler to go exploring around the campsite.

Both the RAM and the Wrangler are getting up there in miles (and repair costs and low reliability) so we need to replace them.

A one-ton RAM 4x4 is not cheap as is a newer Wrangler. Plus, a travel trailer like the Arctic Fox 22 ft we looked has much more interior space and much better cold weather insulation with the 4 season package. Buying this travel trailer (and selling our truck + Wrangler + truck camper) would mean buying only one vehicle that can tow the trailer plus can be used for exploring.

So... to help in the decision process, it would be great if we can get some feedback on our questions:

1. We don't like campgrounds and usually camp on public lands away from people. The truck camper and the RAM are great on dirt roads. How is the Arctic Fox travel trailer? I read it has an offroad chassis.

2. For those of you who have this trailer, what type of 4x4 tow vehicle do you recommend. A 4-door Wrangler doesn't seem to have the towing capacity for the 22 ft trailer. Perhaps a half ton truck?

3. How is the overall build quality of Arctic Fox? Their trailers are pricier than Jayco and others.

Thanks!

Jorn
29 REPLIES 29

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^Nice trailer. ORV is about the only brand that interests me at the moment.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had my ORV long enough to know (4 months) or been on any back roads yet, but it feels and appears very capable. It's the off Road package with 16" E rated tires. Very happy so far with this unit, high quality build.

Also, I believe my unit is 6" narrower than the AF (i'm 96").
AF are very nice rigs from the same parent company, different plant and management. I preferred the interior of the ORV, both rigs very nice and built like tanks.

2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
What makes the Northwoods "Off Road Chassis" is mostly just it's size and strength. Compared to other makes, my ORV came with nearly double the frame rail height, which is also a heavier gauge, and has more crossmember. I've never seen the A-frame flex on this one, but I did on both me Weekend Warrior and the Jayco. Plus, the axles already come over-sprung, and shocks are standard. They also do other small things like add gussets at the spring mounts and camber the frames.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb, how and where do you go really off road, not just off pavement?? In all of the Calif national forests, we have to stay on existing dirt roads covered by the motor vehicle use maps. Some are very rough, but they are "roads."

Thanks in advance for your comments!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We take ours "off road" all the time
Well, into farmers fields, or unimproved camping areas (eg the Forest Service may graded it 50 years ago) or...

But true "off roads", not a chance.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My 34', 10,000# Silver Fox is "off road rated" but I would never do so.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that a couple of the reasons that NW touts off road use is their frame and suspension. If you look at the gussets they weld in and along with having shocks it should be better than most all of what comes out of Indiana. JMHO here though and take it for what you want but I think their use of 'Off Road Capable' is a little overblown. It really appeals to PNW buyers where they camp in more rustic environments. Selling a TT with off road capabilities to someone in Nebraska would be silly. It's sorta like buying a Ford F150 Raptor and never going off road.
That being said they're built a little stronger than the competition so even on pavement they should hold up really good.
I've had no issues with my NW Fox Mtn as far as structure goes. And there's plenty of other brands that have held up well on pavement too.

Rather_B_Fishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at something similar as the OP. Is there a consideration with regards to wall framing for off pavement use? Aluminum vs wood? I have been told completely different things on which one is better.
2017 F350, CCLB, XLT, 6.2L, 4.30's
2005 Four Wheel Camper - Grandby
2020 GD Reflection 337RLS 5'er (for sale)
Going back to a truck camper...

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get a power wagon or Ford raptor and tow with that. It will go exploring in comfort, tow ok, but be warned that they get poor mileage.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a Nash (step down from the Arctic Fox, but made by the same company) precisely because pulling my trailer off pavement was wrecking my Keystone. I don't do anything wild, my trailer stays on dirt roads, and my half ton handles it just fine.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
The Dodge Power Wagon would be a great choice for a tow vehicle for that trailer and the places you like to go.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since cost is also a concern with the replacements, x-2 on the orv.
Look at the black rock series, shocks, thermopane windows, ability to mount a 3000 watt genny on the back, Its a little pricier than a jayco, but by the time you add the shocks and windows you have made up the difference and the frame is heavier.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has an Arctic fox...(I call the trailer hers and I have my old X-rental Majestic) One reason for Arctic Fox is the frame of our late 90's 5th wheel, with a Lippert frame broke. And Lippert could care less, no help at all. So the less anything with Lippert, the better for us. Google up "lippert frame broke" and you'll understand. Lippert come out with a repair guide for their frames breaking, and they couldn't even get that right. They had go to "revision A". What does that tell you? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM18731969/RCRIT-11V486-1111.pdf

Although Arctic Fox does use some Lippert stuff. In ours the doors and windows are Lippert, or one of their subsidiaries they own. It is hard to get away from Lippert products 100 percent in RV industry. But we got away from then as much as possible.
While I do think the Arctic Fox frame is stronger the others, I would not call their Rv's "off road". If you crawl underneath and take a look at each, Arctic Fox is just put together better than the others (in my opinion). Our meaning of "off road" is nothing wild. Usually logging roads, gravel forest roads, etc. We have lots of ground clearance compared to others OEM's that we have seen. Never smacked anything because of ground clearance but again we don't get to wild. You can look at tire tracks on a dirt road usually see the types of vehicles that use the road. If all you see a motorcycle tracks think twice.

Four seasons...We've had ours in some pretty cold temps and never a problem. (Believe me, we don't seek out cold temps on purpose) Four season in my opinion is a marketing ploy. Just more insulation value and couple heater ducts near the water tanks. Take a look where the outside shower hose comes inside the rv and tell me about "4 seasons" For me anything 5 or 10 degrees below freezing for a couple hours, is what I call cold and time to move.

Our hitch ball is 29 inches off ground if that is indicator of ground clearance (model 25W, not sure about 22 model). And we tow with about the cheapest hitch set up on the market. Why, because it was free, thought we would get a better set up someday, but trailer tows great, so why upgrade?

You'll have some adjustments to make going to a trailer. I know we did. A small Class C (which we still own, only 3 steps longer than our 01 dodge pick up, with 8 foot bed, quad model) to a 30 foot towable trailer. There will be times you can't pull over anywhere you want. You will need more room. But remember you'll also enjoy the room of a larger RV when you get somewhere. Just cooking meals so much easier now. Having larger fresh, gray and black water tanks is also nice to have.

We also camp on public lands...remember if there are any services to where you are going, there is usually no problems getting in or out. That is because any "services" are usually performed with someone with a pick up truck (trash, etc). That doesn't mean I have not had to back down a few dirt paths that dead ended.

We don't leave trailer unattended in places spaces with nothing around. Campgrounds with any services we've never had a problem with theft.

The only thing I can think of that might be attributed to "off road" was a skylight cracking. That doesn't include stuff falling over in RV.

New truck...we're actually keeping our older 2001 because the new stuff seems to have lot of smog problems. And ours is a 3/4 ton, I did install air bags, but it tows great. Gutless on hills though. Trailer is 8 or 9 thousand pounds, lot more than a 22 Arctic fox. I'm pretty close to max weight for tongue weight for what Dodge installed new. But not hard to put in heavier duty hitch. And I can work on my old "mighty Dodge" myself. But yes, hood has been getting opened much to often last couple years.

Also Arctic fox if you need more ground clearance, there is usually no problem going up in tire size for more ground clearance. But that also means not only different tires but rims also. And as far as "flipping axles" not I'm not a believer in raising the center of gravity that much over what OEM designed.

So yes, compromises in small rv and larger rv's. We love the room in trailer but also love to be able to park in regular parking spot.

How is the overall build quality of Arctic Fox? Their trailers are pricier than Jayco and others.

Overall build quality is terrible:), but better than others IMO. Sad what prices are. Of course I never thought an new pick up would be $60,000 either.

You can look right here on this forum and read about what problems people have. Some are new models of (fill in any brank you want) that are falling apart. While some manufactures are known for quality some are known for assembling junk. But not all rv's falling apart are the manufactures fault. Many are because of no maintenance. Any RV (Arctic Fox or not) will need maintenance. And honestly we've seen a few Arctic Foxes that I'm not sure the owners knew which end of a screw driver to use. But they got because they like the floor plan and heard they are good.

Just me on ours, faucets, shower head, and some other odds and ends are junk, just like any other RV, as in "rv quality" and cheap plastic, not to good. Those items were the first thing we replaced. Now we can fill our coffee pot with our kitchen faucet. Beyond that overall very happy with Arctic Fox.

OK good luck
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
As an add on to your question about off roading a travel trailer:

I had a 23ft Nomad (skyline) TT and took it off road often to support our family Off Road Race Team. The TT came with the axles flipped so it had plenty of clearance. Most of the roads we traveled were hard pack dirt with some washboard and dips. I pulled it with a 4X4 Chevy 2500 and never got stuck even when parking away from the road. Once in awhile stuff would fall out of a cabinet eventhough the latches needed to be squeezed to open a door. No other damage.

I now have a 38ft 5th wheel and only have a two wheel drive truck. I have taken it on the typical desert roads you will find leading to popular off road play spots. As long as the road is hard packed and not sand it does well. The axles are flipped so it has plenty of clearance.

Yes having the extra room is great especially if the weather turns bad and you are stuck inside for a few days.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is from Nash's other company, ORV. Both use the AF/Nash chassis.

It does great off-road. I mean actually off-road, not just off-pavement.

I did rip off the rear stabilizer jacks. I replaced them with power jacks, but relocated them about halfway between the rear axle and rear bumper. I added some mini steel rollers instead. It does get drug through dips, but even completely off-loading the axles doesn't seem to even really flex the trailer (it does make the entry door bind slightly but it still opens and closes). I've even had to to winch the whole combination up about a 1-1 dirt slope, after the trailer slid off the edge of trail.

The sidewalls do scratch when dragging it through the tress. They come out pretty easy though. I do recommend fully encased slide toppers of you add them, because tree limbs can be rough on the fabric. Ditto the awning.

The one downside of an Arctic Fox is weight. Even a 22' might push the limits of some half-tons. Also consider that some trails might require disconnecting the WD bars, so your receiver needs to be able to support full hitch weight w/out weight distribution. A Wrangler would have no chance at towing an A/F.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST