cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are we the only people in all of So Cal who love to camp?

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - I am new here, and I was wondering...are we the only people in all of So Cal who enjoy camping? :0
I'm beginning to think so! We got our TT last June. My Husband is an experienced camper, and I loved camping as a kid, so we were really excited to hit the road and meet some fellow campers.....but everywhere we go in CA, the people we meet are visiting from another State! There must be other people out there who are camping, from So Cal? We enjoy camping at the State parks and places where we have the feel of really camping...so maybe that has something to do with us only meeting out of town folks? Just curious... ๐Ÿ™‚
51 REPLIES 51

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Sooo while reading all the information on Southern California on this thread..a question arose...How far do you have to drive to be able to camp? Never been there so don't know anything about it, know only what I've seen in Rockford Files as a kid...
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised SoCA and more than happy to be gone since.....a long time ago. No offense intended to those in SoCA. We used to tent camp at a gorgeous CG in Idyllwild. At that time it was owned by Marriott - they had a thought of expanding into the CG thing. There was a mix of tenters to Class A's even then. Can't remember the name, but it was huge so I would imagine it's still there. Had 3 lakes - 1 for adults only, 1 for kids only and 1 for everyone. Great fall festival. Wish I could remember the name, but maybe someone will have that info. Pretty area.

Our very best DFs still live in SoCA, even though they've seen TN, and they usually end up in a parking lot looking area at the beach for an ungodly site fee with no hookups or primitive camping at one of the dry lakes out toward Palmdale area. Neither appeals to us. You could come to TN....we have great CGs and actually visit with our neighboring campers!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
funfinderlisa wrote:
Hello - I am new here, and I was wondering...are we the only people in all of So Cal who enjoy camping? :0
I'm beginning to think so! We got our TT last June. My Husband is an experienced camper, and I loved camping as a kid, so we were really excited to hit the road and meet some fellow campers.....but everywhere we go in CA, the people we meet are visiting from another State! There must be other people out there who are camping, from So Cal? We enjoy camping at the State parks and places where we have the feel of really camping...so maybe that has something to do with us only meeting out of town folks? Just curious... ๐Ÿ™‚

Nope. We love it so much we moved from Hermosa Beach to SE AZ where we feel like we're camping even when we're home. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lol! My point exactly! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hermosa sure is pretty though!

LS

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Hey Lisa -- check out our blog links below. We are SoCals who camp in a Fun Finder. And let's try not to encourage other SoCals to join us -- there are maybe 25 million folks here. Tell them all to stay home and go to the beach! (The water is warming up nicely -- it is up to the mid 60s, which is high for May.)

Oh my Gosh! So I just saw this....and I feel like a little minion after seeing your blog! I loved the intertubing video! :B It's so funny to hear that there are so many people from So Cal that camp! Not one of my friends has an interest in it, and the people we do meet are from other States! Love the Fun Finder....My Husband and I were worried after we got ours, and never saw any of them on road, but it's held up nicely - nock on plywood! Lol!

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Maybe everyone who lives IN So Cal is trying to get OUT of So Cal...:)

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, we have only camped near home a few times; We have a Travel Trailer and do some traveling with it.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
funfinderlisa wrote:

Nope. We love it so much we moved from Hermosa Beach to SE AZ where we feel like we're camping even when we're home. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
funfinderlisa wrote:

So announce a trip where there is still space to get in. :B
For me it has been slow lately as I have family issues to deal with this year.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Lisa -- check out our blog links below. We are SoCals who camp in a Fun Finder. And let's try not to encourage other SoCals to join us -- there are maybe 25 million folks here. Tell them all to stay home and go to the beach! (The water is warming up nicely -- it is up to the mid 60s, which is high for May.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
funfinderlisa wrote:
It was beautiful there...but the only people who were not annoyed by our trailer was a nice couple passing through from Oregon. Other than that, my Husband and I were scared to start the generator for fear of someone throwing a tofu Smart Dog at us! :S

What are people doing that makes you say they are annoyed by your trailer? Are they pointing and glaring? I've never felt like someone was put off by my trailer. Of course it might be because I'm walking around in just a pink feather boa with things just flapping in the breeze. :E That probably distracts them from my trailer. Wait, can post things that make you want to throw up on this forum? :B

I know I mostly see San Diego people when I camp around San Diego. But I can also picture what you are saying where you see mostly non Californians. We do live in a state that people love to bash, but for some reason the tourists just keep coming. ๐Ÿ˜‰

OMG - that was hilarious! I dressed my Labrador Retriever in a pink feather boa for her 4th birthday....but I hadn't really considered borrowing it from her for our next camping trip! Lol! Hmmm....Hubby might not mind it!
Well, the people don't exactly point - but they do glare a little when we come rolling in, surrounded by tent campers...like we just disturbed the camping juju. :R

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
funfinderlisa wrote:
It was beautiful there...but the only people who were not annoyed by our trailer was a nice couple passing through from Oregon. Other than that, my Husband and I were scared to start the generator for fear of someone throwing a tofu Smart Dog at us! :S

What are people doing that makes you say they are annoyed by your trailer? Are they pointing and glaring? I've never felt like someone was put off by my trailer. Of course it might be because I'm walking around in just a pink feather boa with things just flapping in the breeze. :E That probably distracts them from my trailer. Wait, can post things that make you want to throw up on this forum? :B

I know I mostly see San Diego people when I camp around San Diego. But I can also picture what you are saying where you see mostly non Californians. We do live in a state that people love to bash, but for some reason the tourists just keep coming. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Tofu Smart Dog!

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Good one!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
my sister lives in victorville and she finds lots of places to camp headedd there in 2 weeks ourselves

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
funfinderlisa wrote:
WoodGlue wrote:
Nope, you aren't the only SoCal people who really enjoy getting out there and "recreating" LOL! Seems like the last time I was at Morro Bay State Park, about 3/4 of the people there were all from SoCal, up in the Park enjoying a weekend trip.

WoodGlue

Well, that's good to know! We went quite a bit further up North last year to Butano State Park and Pfeiffer Big Sur, and we didn't meet any So Cal people, and when we've gone local to Palomar Mountain we are the only "intruders" hauling a trailer...every one else is camping in tents, so we kinda feel like right off the bat that we're annoying everyone! Lol... We'll have to check out Morro Bay! Thanks for the input. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, if you are in a trailer, you are RVing. Not quite the same thing as camping.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you watch old episodes of "Rockford Files" you will see RVs in almost every street shop. Some people in Southern California were RVing, then, and some must still be out there now.

Camping, that's something different from RVing. For Southern California, I don't really know, but I would camp there, the weather is right for much of the year. We have people here who camp all through the summer, even though it is miserably hot.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Clue wrote:
funfinderlisa wrote:

I am not sure I agree with that statement, try getting into a state park without reservations made six months in advance. We have just about given up on getting reservations and have been using county parks, most of which are very nice.
San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino etc....
And Welcome to the RV.net camping community lot's of SoCal campers here.

Well, I know what you mean. We did have that same experience recently, and after a cancelled planned trip to Texas...I had the brilliant idea to take our chances and go camping, without reservations....what a mistake that was. Drove all around San Diego, and my Husband was ready to kill me. 5 campgrounds later, and almost heading home, we found a spot at Doane Valley. It was beautiful there...but the only people who were not annoyed by our trailer was a nice couple passing through from Oregon. Other than that, my Husband and I were scared to start the generator for fear of someone throwing a tofu Smart Dog at us! :S