cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

artic fox 811 on 2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel short bed??

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we need some advice as we can not get a straight answer. We just bought an 811 Artic fox camper for our 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel short bed truck. The artic fox dealer says it is a fine truck for this camper. But upon further research it seems to grossly exceed the GVWR weight capacity. Even if we upgraded to a 3500 Ram it seems to exceed this. How can this be possible? What part of the equation are we missing? What truck is capable of hauling this or do we listen to the dealer that our truck is fine? Just wanting to be safe. Thanks for the advice.
109 REPLIES 109

Bedlam
Do you plan tow behind the truck and camper? If not, frame tie downs, higher rated tires and stabilizer bar may be all that you need (around $2000). If you plan to tow, you will also need higher rated wheels, higher rated receiver with extension and additional suspension aids (total around $5000).

Either of these options is cheaper than a new truck if you are comfortable being over your GVWR. If you would be constantly worrying about your truck or liability, get a DRW because life is too short to worry it away.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's good to have good shocks, so you can't really count that toward the cost. I'd go with Rancho 9000s and turn them all of the way up in the rear with TC loaded.

I'd consider adding a larger sway bar. I'm unsure if those came with sway bars or not. That's about $500.

I'd add 19.5s. If those are the original tires, they would need replacing due to age, so that's part of the cost of buying tires. New 19.5s wheels/tires are 2500-4000. Then, I'd add stableloads if they are made for his truck. That's about 300.

It's possible he can find used 19.5s, but otherwise with labor he's looking at 3000-4000K realistically. Those changes will make a huge difference.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
I know he is completely depressed over the situation. Everyone tells him he is crazy to sell the truck but also the same people are telling him what a liability the over weight camper is. What if the brakes go out etc. sounds like a majority of you risk it so maybe he will to. He loves the camper so much he says he isn't willing to trade it for a smaller. So maybe we can just take our time thinking about truck change. But it wouldn't make sense to get all stuff on this truck to make it safe and then trade it. Like I said he already has airbags. What else would he add to be safe? And the cost? Tires and swAy bar. I don't know much about suspension But I can find out. That's a good point somebody above made. How often will be camp vs drive? I'm guessing now bees retired maybe one kind of long trip from ca to Colorado or Utah or something like that once a year. And maybe 4 more times around here in a year to the mts or Tahoe. Really hard decision. I appreciate you guys listening to me vent and presenting both sides.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes...your husband has a CR 5.9 Cummins with only 22k miles....he will get a mint for it (don't trade it in!) but he going to be hard pressed to replace it with a used truck in similar shape and miles!

Best of luck, the dually will haul it great.

FYI...I wouldn't sell that truck for a dime under 30k. It is a pre emission, high output Cummins that is virtually new....a unicorn if you will.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately, many dealers will sell you anything. I'm not saying they are misleading, but what they think is a good setup is sometimes marginal.

If you are leaning toward a DRW, I'd just do it. I had a SRW for 8 years with my current camper, and eventually added the mods mentioned here including 19.5s. My F450 obviously hauls it better. There are a few of us here that went from SRW 19.5s to DRW. The SRWs were ok, but since I can get by with a DRW, I made the switch.

If you take your time doing the deal/trade, the current truck should bring a good value. On the other hand, if you plan to rarely use the TC, just leave it as is.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Duplicate post.

Bedlam
I didn't need the 19.5" wheels until I hitched up my enclosed trailer. Although I figured out how to load the camper and trailer to stay within my 18" wheel ratings, it was much less of a hassle once I had 9000 lbs of wheel rating per axle. Since my truck had the upper and lower overload springs and OEM stabilizer bar, I only needed the upper and lower StableLoads to to carry the camper level and steady. Once I added the weight of the trailer hitch is when I needed the higher rated wheels, heavier dampening shocks and air bags - I was close to 8000 lbs on the rear axle and just as stable (even if my wallet was the only thing lighter).

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
I'd read posts from Bedlam, Vinsil and Grit Dog.

That's what I did. You'll notice I run a similar set up to them (well, Bedlams old rig). It can be done. That's a beauty of a truck you have. 19.5" tires are likely in the cards for you. I upgraded my tires to 3750lbs and I'm under the limits but not by much.

Would I like a dually? Sure. But I have a very good truck which has been baselined by me for 6 years. For a few grand, I made my truck more capable and have been running that way for a few years.

As mentioned before. Tires are your real true limitiations, address this first with going to the scale.

My camper is a pinch lighter than the AF811 but I'm roughly in the same ballpark.
Roamers of the back woods

2006 Ram Megacab SRW. 19.5" Visions
2010 Eagle Cap 850 - current
2005 2500 9.4 Bigfoot - sold
2000 Hawk Four Wheel Camper - sold

Bedlam
My F250 was about 2750 lbs empty on the rear and 7000 lbs on the rear with my AF811, people and gear loaded. I was typically at 11,500 lbs GVW and it worked well on my truck. I think you can do the same if you watch wheel and axle limits and allow your truck to be over GVWR.

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
I think my husband is leaning towards a used Dually. Which is devastating Bc he has. 2500 diesel 2005 paid for with only 22k miles! His decision though. He loves this particular camper it appears.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is on at least once a month and I'm comfortable with it. Grit is right, I will be in a dually on my next truck but mine works great after the mods.

I'd do it again, no regrets.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You'll have to be sure how comfortable you are at hauling at the limit of your truck.
I'm not advocating it's necessarily for everyone or someone with no experience towing and hauling heavy. I'm comfortable with it because I've done more with less since Ive been a kid, and modern pickups are far better equipped and more capable than the old trucks I've had.
I can say that if I was going to be hauling it on a regular basis I'd step up to a dually for these heavy campers but since my camper sits in the shop 350 days a year and the truck is a daily driver, paid for, in great shape, set up well and doesn't require shelling out an additional $20-25k for the new car smell, I'm using it for now.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
lizwood71 wrote:
We already have airbags. So you think new shocks tires and a sway bar ? Anything else ?

I'd add lower stableloads as I did and it took the mushy feeling of just airbags as they engage the lower overload spring.

You will need to step up to 19.5's so plan on that as well, not just tires as you will overload any e rated tire as well as the wheels.

What shocks do you have now? Those are not as important at this point but if you have stock worn out ones....yes replace them.

Also, I did not add a swaybar and the stiff sidewall of the 19.5's, the suspension upgrades I did made it as stable as I felt nessary.

I would drive it after you load it up, add the stableloads, 19.5's....and see how it feels to YOU. You might feel comfortable with just that or feel you need more...then add the swaybar. No need to spend money if you don't need to!

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
We already have airbags. So you think new shocks tires and a sway bar ? Anything else ?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The salesman sent you on your way because he made a sale. Or, to give him the benefit of the doubt he's just ignorant of the true camper weight/ truck ratings.
You're not missing anything; truck campers are HEAVY.
You can modify the truck you have to make it work but it will take a lot of time and money. I used to haul my camper on a 3500 SRW. I weighed in at 11,140 on a truck with a GVWR of 9,900. I had added air bags and HD shocks and drove it thousands of miles. I now carry the came camper on a dually. I weigh in at 13,100 on a truck with a GVWR of 11,400. I've added air bags, HD shocks, and the tires aren't stock. I've driven even more thousands of miles.