cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching Solar Panel to Roof of 98 Lance

livefree
Explorer
Explorer
What should I use? I'm going to use angle aluminum for brackets. Can i use lag screws, will there be enough wood under the sheet aluminum roof to hold the screws? Might the screws go through the interior ceiling? I've never tried to attach anything to the roof before. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

livefree
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: I used 3M Marine 5200 Adhesive with a 5 day cure time. After 4 days it seemed rock solid. I was leaving 6 days after installation and was feeling a little leery with just the adhesive so I put Eternabond over the 22 inch length of each bracket. Seems very solid. I wonder how I might ever remove them if needed.

livefree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I'm confident I'll be able to make a secure installation now.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would advise caution with the whole idea.
Those roofs are often 3/4 x 1" lumber, so drilling 3/8" hole is like taking 30% of the load capacity, what is not too big to start with.
I am carrying canoe on my roof, but I made long support that attach to factory railing.
Other thing is practicality of roof mounted panel.
I camp mostly in Sierra on lots that are 90% in the shade, so roof mounted panel would not work for me at all.
I am carrying single panel and 50' of extension wire for it, so can move it to spot with direct sun and by repositioning it couple times get max charge.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get these Instaparkยฎ ZJ-34B Universal Drill-free Solar Panel Rooftop Mount that does not require you to drill holes. From the write-ups I have seen on these once they are mounted to your roof they do not come off. Just copy, and search and you can find them in Black or white.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I put a solar panel on my 2001 Lance. I emailed Lance and they sent a drawing that showed where the framing was underneath the aluminum roof. I made sure I positioned the panel so that at least some of the screws went into the framing. Don't remember what type of screws I used, but it's stayed on for over 90K miles of travel! ๐Ÿ™‚

Look at the "Camper Add-Ons" part of my website and you'll see where the panel is located.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Definetly do not use lag screws, the material on the roof is 1/4" plywood. Do a search on installing solar panels on the net you will get lots of hits. personally I used stainless steel wood screws. One source for info that I can suggest is amsolar.com.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels