cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood Hydroflame 8531-IV Not Cycling

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Hey friends- hoping someone can help with this. I am having an issue with my Hydroflame 8531-IV furnace on my Bigfoot truck camper. I turn it on and heater kicks up and starts heating no problem. Runs for a good long while until it comes to temp without any issues. Once it comes to temp, it cycles off as normal. However, after the temp drops back down, the heater never cycles back on again. If I turn the heater off then back on manually, it’ll come back on but never automatically as it’s supposed to. I took the furnace apart and inspected the sail switch. It was not dirty and appeared to be in working order. The circuit board shows a steady green light which signifies that it’s not an airflow issue. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer
10 REPLIES 10

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Oh gosh you guys. After taking apart the entire furnace and thermostat and inspecting every little piece, it turned out to be a loose wire connection. One of the ones that goes in the bundle plug that you access from the inside of the camper (under the dinette). Thanks so much for your input and hopefully this can help someone else solve a similar issue, as I see several posts about it with no conclusion.
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
thermostat.

Sorry, missed where it didn't work.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
When you have this problem are you on shore power or battery power or doesn’t it matter ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar issue a couple days ago while camping in temps below 10 degrees F. Since my batteries are located in an outside compartment they got so cold they started showing such low voltage my furnace failed to start back up. I hooked up my Honda genny and it solved the issue.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Locate the thermostat wires at the furnace. Should be two blue wires in furnace. connect them together. Furnace should come on, produce heat, separate the wires furnace should go onto cool down and shut off.
Depending on thermostat, you can tie thermostat wire together there. same thing should happen.
I agree that it could be thermostat.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
RamblinAnne wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Try to eliminate thermostat failure by jumping the wires.
okay! Not exactly sure what jumping the wires means but I just took my multimeter to it and when the furnace is off, I have a solid 13+ V going to it. When I turn it on however, it drops down to 0.01 volts and keeps slowly dropping off. Is this a thermostat failure or a wiring issue?

Sorry should have been more clear- when the thermostat is switched OFF- steady 13+ volts. When the thermostat is switched ON but does not signal furnace to come on (because I have to wait awhile to be able to manually switch it off and on again) that’s when I see a drop off in voltage. When thermostat is switched ON and furnace is running, a solid 11+ volts.
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
okay I jumped the wires and it did not turn the furnace on. Bummer
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect it is the thermostat . What make and model is the thermostat ? Before going too far check the thermostat wire connections at the thermostat and the furnace
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
okay! Not exactly sure what jumping the wires means but I just took my multimeter to it and when the furnace is off, I have a solid 13+ V going to it. When I turn it on however, it drops down to 0.01 volts and keeps slowly dropping off. Is this a thermostat failure or a wiring issue?
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer