cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic Transmission Rebuilders

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about upgrading my 47RE transmission. I have nearly 150,000 miles on my stock tranny and it's starting to make noise in overdrive, so I'm thinking about replacing it with an upgraded one built for towing my 5th. wheel. I need your thoughts on the best transmission rebuilder. I've read some not so good reviews about ATS, so I an considering Suncoast or having a tranny shop rebuild with Goerend parts. Anyone who has any actual experience with either would help me decide. Thanks.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
20 REPLIES 20

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots to invest in an 18 year old truck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The rule of thumb for diesel people where I race is this:

Want a bullet proof Mopar tranny; get a Goerend.

Want a bullet proof Chevy tranny; get a Suncoast.

Don't race Fords. :B

(the last one I made up just to get Fish going. The other 2 are legit)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Suncoast, goerend or Firepunk if you're interested in a bulletproof or upgraded trans.
If your making stock or near stock power though, save your money and find a decent shop to diagnose, service, adjust bands, or possibly rebuild, provided your ok with the OE mushbox performance of a 47/48re.
If I was rebuilding one today for stock power I'd still get a good aftermarket tq converter and an upgraded valve body just to improve the transmissions behaviour.

You don't NEED upgraded anything for what a stock 24v puts out and at only 150k on a 18 year old truck, how many more miles vs $ sunk into a trans do you expect out of it?

So how on our wet side would you recommend. Pickings seem small
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Suncoast, goerend or Firepunk if you're interested in a bulletproof or upgraded trans.
If your making stock or near stock power though, save your money and find a decent shop to diagnose, service, adjust bands, or possibly rebuild, provided your ok with the OE mushbox performance of a 47/48re.
If I was rebuilding one today for stock power I'd still get a good aftermarket tq converter and an upgraded valve body just to improve the transmissions behaviour.

You don't NEED upgraded anything for what a stock 24v puts out and at only 150k on a 18 year old truck, how many more miles vs $ sunk into a trans do you expect out of it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

path1
Explorer
Explorer
And being r/r at your location or in your travels anywhere in u.s.

Planning about 5 grand on mine latter this summer.

Yes lots of pluses and minuses for names you have mentioned
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ever change the fluid?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB